1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 06 s convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Dylan H
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 06 s convertible

Holy cow, what a cool little ride! I'm a motorcycle guy and only used cars to commute with a coworker. Boy has my commute improved. I told myself "no mods" on the car...but...what would a person do first. Or should I just save $$$ for repairs? 2006, 6spd, 17 wheels, 47k. Love it so far. Thanks in advance. Happy motoring.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:14 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Depending on the severity of the repairs, get your car happy first and then start modding. Got any pics?

Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
First thing to do is locate the independent BMW/MINI shop that all the MINI people in your area love and trust then make him your best buddy.
For the very best bang for the buck in handling, replace the rear sway bar and struts with a 22 MM adjustable and KONI FSD struts. They will offer superior cornering stability.
Don't use anything except Top Tier max octane gas!! The results for not following that edict is a failed O sensor.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Beyond all that, take good care of the canvas. RaggTopp or 303 are about the best and remember, top down motoring is motoring at its best.

OH, and pictures. Without pictures, it didn't happen.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:01 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
If you don't have records, May I suggest changing all fluids including the PS fluid in the reservoir. Congrats

Old 02-01-2016, 08:05 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! The best bang for your buck mod you can do to your MINI is a rear sway bar HERE. If you have any worn/cracked/damaged bushings on your R53 it would be a great time to upgrade to Powerflex bushings HERE. They really will dial in the handling and are ultimately more cost efficient than replacing them with OEM bushings. Once you get up to date on all the maintanence your MINI needs then look into a supercharger pulley upgrade HERE. Let's see some pictures.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Dylan H
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the super responses. seven, no repairs needed now but based on the info from Mr Brick, I'll find a good local guy. I purchased it through a dealer and was assured all fluids were changed. I checked and everything looks fine. I already handles like its on rails but from what I have read bushings can rally tighten things up. Thanks again folks, I want to detail the heck out of it before any pics. Any good cleaners or maybe a re dye job for the top?

Old 02-02-2016, 07:06 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
I've been using Griot's Garage products for several years and they are outstanding.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/home.do

If you are unsure about using some of their stuff like clay bar (a must do prior to anything else or you're wasting your time), they have demo videos on the website.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylan H
Thanks for all the super responses. seven, no repairs needed now but based on the info from Mr Brick, I'll find a good local guy. I purchased it through a dealer and was assured all fluids were changed. I checked and everything looks fine. I already handles like its on rails but from what I have read bushings can rally tighten things up. Thanks again folks, I want to detail the heck out of it before any pics. Any good cleaners or maybe a re dye job for the top?
You're welcome. We have Chemical Guys HERE, but we will also be having a sale on their products starting sometime today.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-02-2016, 08:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylan H

Hello Dylan,

R52 MINI Convertible Owner here also. make sure you post up some pics

For cleaners on the convertible :

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ew-mirror.html

Wheel arch dressing:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...arch-fade.html

Top Care : 83192339689 & 83192339697 in stock right now.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...k-for-top.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172