1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got a MINI!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 AM
otto_my_way
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got a MINI!!

Hi all,
I suppose this is just as good enough place to introduce myself and my new (to me) 2003 MINI Cooper S. I bought it this past Friday, cash. Transferred the insurance onto it, put the plates from my other car on it and started driving it. I sold my other car that this MCS replaced for $1000 to a guy, sight-un-seen, based on pictures I took back in September. He talked too much on the phone and didn't let me tell him that the engine had developed a hard knock and a vicious growl after it warmed up. Oh well, he'll find out soon enough.
My MCS was listed with 164k, but turned out to have nearly 166k. That's OK, it just helped with the negotiations, that and the fact that the interior had rarely, if ever, seen a damp wash cloth, let alone a vacuum cleaner. And would have hurt too much to wash the car first? It did have new tires, but required about a half a quart of oil before I could drive it away.
I'd always wanted a MCS ever since it came out in 2001 (in Britain). I drove a MINI One there and fell in love.
I've placed an order for parts for a decent service: synthetic oil and filter, intake filter, cabin filter, fuel filter, power steering reservoir "O" ring, wipers, front corner lenses (that fell off on the way home), headlight restoration kit, and the always important Bentley Service manual. I think that this is all a good place to start with making this car mine.
Love driving it: tight suspension, holds a corner and curve, gobs of power, comfy seats even for my 6'8" frame (still can't see if the red light turned green though).
I'm pleased to have joined this group. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here without all the trash talking of some other marques' forums. I look forward to learning more about my car and the driving pleasure it is sure to give me.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Glad you found your way here alright, and welcome again.

Congratulations on your purchase. Did you give it a nice detail after you got it and saw it wasn't maintained much? We have a great sale on detailing products HERE if you need some. The Bentley Manual will be a huge help while you work and maintain your MINI. We also have some great free DIY tech articles on our website under MINI > Tech Info (tab at top). They provide much more detail about each job and some wealthy knowledge about common issues/repairs. Post some pictures for us of your R53 when you can. If you ever need anything be sure to let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-03-2016, 10:48 AM
sevin
6th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Get yourself a Light in Sight. You can stop craning your neck at red lights

Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!... sounds like your Mini will get the attention it deserved finally. Good deal, since as you say, it's definitely a great driving car.

Seems all it takes to eventually end up with a Mini is a drive in one at some point. Sounds very familiar!

That little Light in Sight applique does work very well. Should have been a part of the standard equipment list on all Minis.