1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me 09 r56 questions and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 AM
mobilea1
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 09 r56 questions and thoughts

Hello NAM,
So I just found my 09 S Dark Silver m/t last week. It's got 102k on the clock and is in really decent shape. I bought it from 2nd owner and it came with a good amount of service records.

I've been searching and learning about all kinds of stuff and have put together a plan of the things that I would like to do/need to do. Your experienced feedback is both appreciated and welcome.

Here's my list:

K&N Typhoon Intake System. (Ordered and installed)

Block off rear PCV with blind plugs. (ordered)

BSH OCC. (ordered)

WMW Performance blow off valve. (Ordered)

NM torque arm inserts. (Ordered)

Hot side boost tube to remove the "Turbo Silencer". (Waiting)

Replace pressure converter (hearing the "Duck Call/Kazoo Player" occasionally at shut down.) (Ordered)

Clean intake valves. ?? Dealer? Walnut blast!!

Rear pads and rotors. (Power Stop Carbon/Ceramic Pads)
(Centric slotted rotors) (Centric wear sensor)
(ordered)

Delete the "Sound Generator" (Done) Sound Generator...REALLY?
Can't help but note the contradiction of a sound generator and a turbo
silencer!

Questions and thoughts:

Can we bypass the pressure converter on these cars?

My previous vehicle was a Saab 9-5 Aero and it was a common thing to bypass the computer controlled valve and tap into the intake manifold to supply the vacuum for the wastegate control.

Is the walnut method the best way to clean the valves and is the dealer the only place to get that done? Do the chemical methods work and are they harmful to sensors/Cat etc.? If chemical method is okay, what brand name works best?

Should I remove and wash the IC?

Has anyone had experience with changing the seats?
(Equipped with leather sport seats that seem a bit too restrictive in the
thigh bolster area on a long ride) I loved my Aero seats and would love to
possibly do something to get a pair of them into my Mini. Not sure about
the airbags though?

Is there anything else you would recommend that I look into as far as general maintenance? (Timing set was replaced @78k)
(HPFP replaced @79k) (H2O pump @ 78k)

Turbo oil lines?

Well, I think I've covered everything that I could think of.
On another note .....I LOVE THIS CAR!!! Hoping to keep it for a while and just want to keep it in great shape. Honestly dreading the clutch job when it comes but what the hell, it's only nuts and bolts....right?

Sorry so long!! Lots of thoughts going on here!
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Jay

Old 04-07-2016, 08:55 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM, Jay! Looks like you've got a good list going. The walnut blasting method is still the best and fastest method to clean the valves. We have a tech article on our site that shows you a different method for those who do not wish to purchase the wand and adapter. Info on that HERE. Any MINI indy shop can do the blasting as well, for far less money than the dealer. Check the turbo oil line as that is known to leak at the o-ring. If you're DIY savvy you can also inspect your VANOS solenoids and clean them if needed. We have an article on our site that can help with this also. When was the last time other routine maintenance items were done? Oh, and post some pictures too when you can.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-08-2017, 07:17 AM
mobilea1
1st Gear
Pelican Parts

So it's been almost a year! Thank you for your reply. At this point I've done just about everything that I had on my list and then some. I just wanted to say thank you for the how-to section in your website, I enjoy looking through all of the different DIY stuff even if I don't have to do them! Yesterday I took on the task of cleaning the valves, at 105,000 Miles they needed it. You were right about the walnut blasting, it really worked well. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet but I imagine there will be a considerable difference.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:34 AM
mobilea1
1st Gear
Mini pic

My mini the night I brought it home. I have since removed the stripes because they were faded.

Attached Thumbnails New to me 09 r56 questions and thoughts-img_0103.jpg  
Old 03-08-2017, 08:01 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mobilea1
So it's been almost a year! Thank you for your reply. At this point I've done just about everything that I had on my list and then some. I just wanted to say thank you for the how-to section in your website, I enjoy looking through all of the different DIY stuff even if I don't have to do them! Yesterday I took on the task of cleaning the valves, at 105,000 Miles they needed it. You were right about the walnut blasting, it really worked well. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet but I imagine there will be a considerable difference.
Very happy to hear that our articles have helped you. It is pretty great feeling how much a carbon clean up can really bring your MINI back to life. If you ever have any questions or need assistance in the future with your R56 please do not hesitate to let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST