1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R55 clubman S socal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 07:05 PM
GLoW
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R55 clubman S socal

Hey guys. Got a 2011 clubman S a few months ago as my daily. Just clocked in 57k miles and running great. Signed up here to learn more about the car. I don't plan to do any major modifications as it is just a fun daily driver. I did notice the vinyl strips started to chip away, so I removed them myself with a heat gun. Was quite easy to do in about 45 minutes. To my surprise, I did see something I didn't like. Underneath the bonnet stripes was discoloration. The car is silver, and there are 2 transparent yellowish discolored lines where the stripes were. Pretty bummed about it as all the other areas I removed the stripes were evenly matched paint. My guess is it has to do with the vinyl stripes and the heat from the engine. No discoloration was found on either of the hatch doors. Most apparent area of discoloration is above the hood scoop generally where the turbo is located. No pics as of now, but I'll upload some tomorrow. I'll try my luck searching through the forum for a solution. Other than that, she is pretty fun.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R55 Clubman

Originally Posted by GLoW
Hey guys. Got a 2011 clubman S a few months ago as my daily. Just clocked in 57k miles and running great. Signed up here to learn more about the car. I don't plan to do any major modifications as it is just a fun daily driver. I did notice the vinyl strips started to chip away, so I removed them myself with a heat gun. Was quite easy to do in about 45 minutes. To my surprise, I did see something I didn't like. Underneath the bonnet stripes was discoloration. The car is silver, and there are 2 transparent yellowish discolored lines where the stripes were. Pretty bummed about it as all the other areas I removed the stripes were evenly matched paint. My guess is it has to do with the vinyl stripes and the heat from the engine. No discoloration was found on either of the hatch doors. Most apparent area of discoloration is above the hood scoop generally where the turbo is located. No pics as of now, but I'll upload some tomorrow. I'll try my luck searching through the forum for a solution. Other than that, she is pretty fun.
Hi GLoW! Welcome to NAM and the world of MINI Motoring! Please let us know if we can help with your fun daily driver!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:04 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Can you post some pictures for us, of the discoloration as well? A good add on that individuals use to help protect their scoop/hood from the heat of the turbo is installing a hood scoop heat shield here. You might also want to try and clay bar/wax your hood to see if it might help with the discoloration you're seeing.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R55 Clubman S

Originally Posted by GLoW
Sorry to hear about the discoloration. Could be effects of adhesive on clear coat or something else. Let us know if we can help!

http://new.minimania.com/part/G2NMA1...-And-S-Clubman