1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greetings from the San Francisco Peninsula!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Passionart
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings from the San Francisco Peninsula!

Last week the dream I've had since my teenage years came true - I bought a 2009 Cooper S. Chili Red, white top, white bonnet stripes, sunroof, manual transmission, Tuscan beige interior, and xenon headlights. The previous owner added Union Jack mirror covers. It took 6 months of searching to find this one that had all the things I wanted. I really wanted a lighter colored interior and I was starting to think that didn't exist with the rest of what I wanted. It only had 33000 miles on it and it drives like a brand new car.

She got quite the workout, as I purchased her in Florida and drove her home to the other coast. It was a wonderful trip. It is a remarkably comfortable car for such a long trip.

My first mods are to add a center armrest and add a better iPhone connection, with the priority to be able to play music through the stereo and control playlists from the steering wheel controls. It has an aux port but no USB, and no Bluetooth. I know about the Mini Hands-Free Retrofit kit, which sounds good but it is pricey. Does the basic kit add USB without the other module? Bluetooth would be ok, but I prefer to not answer the phone when I'm driving. I don't want any extra gadgets to add to the dashboard like the Parrot options. Any suggestions?

I also want to get a Union Jack decal for the sunroof. The Mini one is pricey, and ther are some available from China on EBay. Any other sources?

Thanks to everyone for sharing tips - I've been reading posts for a couple of months but didn't want to join until I took possession of my amazing little car!

I'll post photos soon.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:30 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Congratulations on the purchase of your R56. Those are some very low miles, sounds like a great find. For the Union Jack decal on the sunroof I'd give www.mightystripes.com a shout. They should be able to get you what you need. If you need anything else please be sure to let me know. Enjoy!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Passionart
Neutral
I ended up posting twice because I didn't think this post had gone through, but the mods must have been away for the holiday weekend. Here are the photos and clarifications to my plans for my new Mini.

I've attached some photos.

I did more research on the sunroof decal, and the ones from China don't have the perforations like the Genuine Mini ones have, so I'll be investing in the real deal. I am also adding an armrest to the center console, and replacing the faded Union Jack mirror covers. Pelican, thanks for the link to Mighty Stripes, I will also look into them.

The main mod I really want is to be able to integrate my iPhone 6 with the stereo. It didn't come with Bluetooth and does have the upgraded stereo with aux jack. I know about the Mini Hands-Free Retrofit Kit - I'm guessing that would add not only Bluetooth, but also the ability to utilize the control buttons on the steering wheel for the phone and changing song/playlist? I'm more looking for the music control than the Bluetooth, because I dislike talking on the phone when I'm driving. Is there an option to just add a USB port to be able to play music and control it from the steering wheel buttons using a USB flash drive that wouldn't cost $700? I also don't want to add a gizmo to the nice clean dash, so I'd prefer not to get a Parrot or other device like that.

Attached Thumbnails Greetings from the San Francisco Peninsula!-img_6772.jpg   Greetings from the San Francisco Peninsula!-img_6771.jpg   Greetings from the San Francisco Peninsula!-img_6769.jpg  
Old 09-06-2016, 12:49 PM
NEPABob
1st Gear
I could feel your excitement coming through. It's nice when you can tick another one off the list. Congrats and enjoy!

Old 09-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
New MINI Owner

Originally Posted by Passionart
Last week the dream I've had since my teenage years came true - I bought a 2009 Cooper S. Chili Red, white top, white bonnet stripes, sunroof, manual transmission, Tuscan beige interior, and xenon headlights. The previous owner added Union Jack mirror covers. It took 6 months of searching to find this one that had all the things I wanted. I really wanted a lighter colored interior and I was starting to think that didn't exist with the rest of what I wanted. It only had 33000 miles on it and it drives like a brand new car.

She got quite the workout, as I purchased her in Florida and drove her home to the other coast. It was a wonderful trip. It is a remarkably comfortable car for such a long trip.

My first mods are to add a center armrest and add a better iPhone connection, with the priority to be able to play music through the stereo and control playlists from the steering wheel controls. It has an aux port but no USB, and no Bluetooth. I know about the Mini Hands-Free Retrofit kit, which sounds good but it is pricey. Does the basic kit add USB without the other module? Bluetooth would be ok, but I prefer to not answer the phone when I'm driving. I don't want any extra gadgets to add to the dashboard like the Parrot options. Any suggestions?

I also want to get a Union Jack decal for the sunroof. The Mini one is pricey, and ther are some available from China on EBay. Any other sources?

Thanks to everyone for sharing tips - I've been reading posts for a couple of months but didn't want to join until I took possession of my amazing little car!

I'll post photos soon.
Congrats on your new MINI! You have many miles and years of grins ahead of you. Please post some pictures when you have the chance. For stripes and roof decals, plus a variety of application guides for service, maintenance, accessories, and performance upgrades just visit our site. Sign up for member discounts too, and ask any and all questions!

Welcome to NAM!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:06 AM
Passionart
Neutral
Here's a link to the album I created with photos of my Mini:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/g/album/5863448

Old 09-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts