1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R50 wipers working like crazy and hello all

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:11 PM
camperchips
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R50 wipers working like crazy and hello all

Hi All,
We've owned an R50 for some time, that my wife uses as a daily driver, and we've referred to this forum from time to time for maintenance and repair tips, very useful it has been, so it's time to take the plunge and ask a question.
Recently the wipers have taken to working like crazy when they are turned on, whatever position, intermittent to high speed. this is while we are driving and it's raining. Today in the driveway I tried using a hose to sprinkle water onto the windshield to simulate light rain as the engine is idling and everything appears to be operating normally. The wipers cycle with a little splash and pause until another splash, or run while a steady spray is applied.

I've read the thread about grounding the wiper motor frame with it's own ground wire, although this is not quite the same as a motor not shutting down. I think the grounding hint is quite an interesting thought to pursue.
we have had water in the carpets so it's quite possible corrosion has attacked any grounds attached to the floor pan. Is there any diagram the indicate ground locations. Where would I find that information?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:31 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
Hi camperchips,
On the passenger inner fender area, there is a grounding bus for many of the underhood systems. You might try unbolting it and cleaning the body and bolt, to ensure a proper ground. This will help a multitude of code throwing and maybe even smooth out the wipers.
Just a thought!

Old 09-25-2016, 01:38 AM
camperchips
Neutral
Thanks I'll check that out

Old 09-25-2016, 05:17 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome to NAM, camperchips, and the World of MINI Motoring! You have many years of grins ahead of you, of course, as soon as the wiper situation works out! Let us know if Wayne's solution does the job. We've been working on the brand for over 40 years for the street and track, and would love to help!

Also, please post some pictures of your R50 when you have a chance.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:47 PM
camperchips
Neutral
Ok so I had a look at the ground bus and that's hard to get to. I'm reluctant to just undo it simply because there's no room to get the bolt back on with my fat fingers. It looks like I should pull off the wheel, take out the inside fender liner and maybe pull away the bumper to get a clear shot at it. Looks like it was installed onto the frame and then the car was finished on top of it. Is there a trick to it? Has anyone else taken this off to clean it?

Old 09-29-2016, 10:35 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! You may get a better response posting in the 1st gen MINI section here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ion-minis-183/ as this is just the introduction section. If you find out your issue and need anything for the repair please don't hesitate to let me know.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 PM
camperchips
Neutral
Thanks for the hint I don.t know my way around this forum yet. I will try to reword a search and see what comes up. I usually maintain my own cars without trouble. however I haven't figured out the intermittent controller, an will also try the 1st. gen location.