1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello 2005 Mini S (RED!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 09:54 AM
BourbonLodgeGarage
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello 2005 Mini S (RED!)

We had a bit more room on the driveway, so I came home with a 2005 Mini S.
My friend was frustrated with the CVT transmission not working properly, I think she was given bad advice-she finally bought a new car and sadly put the Mini up for sale. I couldn't stand for it to be sold to someone else, its in such good shape. Figured I'd fix it and then dispassionately sell it later. I put in a new battery and towed it 200 miles home. Once off the dolly, I drove it around the block to see what was going on and (oops!) fell in love with it.

She's perfect, like brand new, just a few fixes and she's good to go. 67k original miles.

Any transmission/computer reset ideas would be much appreciated. I've been watching all the YouTube videos about resetting, but I haven't tried them yet.
Even if I have to install a new trans, it'll be worth it. It's a terrific car!!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Congratulations on the purchase of your R53. Those are some good miles! Just a note, the R53 (Cooper S) model MINI's did not come with the CVT transmission. MINI Cooper (non-S) models use the GACVT16Z CVT transmission. You have the 6-speed Agitronic transmission. Let me know if you have any questions and be sure to post a new thread in the R53 section of the forum to get advice from members. If you ever need anything I am also here to help so please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-07-2016, 02:14 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 507 Likes on 419 Posts
Welcome! ...what are the symptoms of the trans? The cheapest thing you can do is try changing the fluid. It takes three changes to get around 80% new fluid when not dropping the pan. Make sure to use JWS3309 spec'd fluid. It can be found at Toyota dealers for a lot less money.

There's a lot of info on here about the Aisin trans problems, and changing the fluid or valve body. Heres an almost 50 page thread on the Aisin:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ed-at-80k.html

Old 10-08-2016, 12:00 PM
BourbonLodgeGarage
Neutral
Hard to describe: It'll start out fine...then little bangs, and into gear. Then getting onto the freeway, it'll high rev and no gear at all....pull over/hazard lights/ it'll get into a gear and
we'll start again.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi Bourbon! Welcome to NAM, it sounds like you have a great find once you get the bugs worked out. As aluded to, checking the fluid when warm is the first step, along with cable adjustment, etc.

Automatic trans problems can be difficult to diagnose. First need to determine if the cause is hydraulic, mechanical or electrical. If you can get a free diagnosis at a local tranny shop familiar with MINIs, or a dealership, you'd probably safe a lot of time.

Let us know what you find out, and please feel free to ask more questions!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Holiday MINI Gifts

Old 10-10-2016, 04:16 PM
BourbonLodgeGarage
Neutral
UPDATE:
I'm lucky enough to live two miles or less from Mini Mania. FANTASTIC!
Stopped by and drooled a lot over the shop. They gave me a referral to a transmission shop in Auburn - thank you!

Ryan hooked her up to the computer and reset everything, says he's sure the valve body replacement will probably fix what's wrong. The drive home was a LOT smoother than the ride there! Will send her down in a few weeks to have the job done - will update again after install. I'm hoping it'll fix the issue. I'm looking forward to going back to Mini Mania for some "swag" after she's repaired.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:20 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Mini Mania

Originally Posted by BourbonLodgeGarage
UPDATE:
I'm lucky enough to live two miles or less from Mini Mania. FANTASTIC!
Stopped by and drooled a lot over the shop. They gave me a referral to a transmission shop in Auburn - thank you!

Ryan hooked her up to the computer and reset everything, says he's sure the valve body replacement will probably fix what's wrong. The drive home was a LOT smoother than the ride there! Will send her down in a few weeks to have the job done - will update again after install. I'm hoping it'll fix the issue. I'm looking forward to going back to Mini Mania for some "swag" after she's repaired.
That's great! Glad we could help!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.