1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with the clutch curse!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:02 PM
sparkyintraing
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with the clutch curse!

Hey guys, I’m new. Anyway here’s the deal. I bought a 2002 MCS with 130K on it last year. Well, now it’s up to 160K and the clutch was making a a weird squeaking noise so I took in to a local repair shop. Just to make a long story short they told me it’s gonna cost $4000 to fix everything wrong. So now I’m wondering..... do I fix it or sell it and get a newer one?

Old 11-19-2016, 07:14 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by sparkyintraing
Hey guys, I’m new. Anyway here’s the deal. I bought a 2002 MCS with 130K on it last year. Well, now it’s up to 160K and the clutch was making a a weird squeaking noise so I took in to a local repair shop. Just to make a long story short they told me it’s gonna cost $4000 to fix everything wrong. So now I’m wondering..... do I fix it or sell it and get a newer one?
The question is are you sure that you need a new clutch? If so, i would highly recommend DIY. Although my experience is with 2008 and up, my first engine and tranny pull took the whole weekend. And that's without the repair manual. Invest in tools and manuals. Also see if a nearby NAM member can do it for you for cheaper

Old 11-19-2016, 08:02 PM
sparkyintraing
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
The question is are you sure that you need a new clutch? If so, i would highly recommend DIY. Although my experience is with 2008 and up, my first engine and tranny pull took the whole weekend. And that's without the repair manual. Invest in tools and manuals. Also see if a nearby NAM member can do it for you for cheaper
Thanks for the quick reply brother! Actually what I’d like to do as far as DIY goes is to find local mechanic and do the work WITH HIM so I can learn. I’m not the greatest with cars. Something else I forgot the mention. The squeak stopped after I got an oil change. Weird right?

Old 11-19-2016, 08:36 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
I'd run, not walk, away from that shop. You don't say where you are which would make suggesting a qualified MINI shop in your area easy. What you describe could be something as simple as flushing and re-charging the clutch master cylinder or a failing master or slave cylinder or just a low fluid level.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:41 PM
sparkyintraing
Neutral
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
I'd run, not walk, away from that shop. You don't say where you are which would make suggesting a qualified MINI shop in your area easy. What you describe could be something as simple as flushing and re-charging the clutch master cylinder or a failing master or slave cylinder or just a low fluid level.
Sorry about that, I’m in Spanaway WA, which is about 45 min south of Seattle. I was just looking at the Northwest section of the forum for a mechanic when I got an alert the you replied to my post. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2016, 05:02 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
With an estimate that high, i'd say a second, and possibly a third, opinion is in order.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:04 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
when ya went in to get this estimate

did ya happen to mention, "I’m not the greatest with cars. "

cuz it sounds like the mechanic was thinking "I've got a live one ......"

find a better shop !

p.s. was the $4000 for the clutch, or was there a laundry list of stuff recommended once they looked around?

Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
This website might help in your search for a RELIABLE shop. Good luck getting things sorted.
http://www.minirepairshops.com/search?q=Seattle%2C%20WA
or
http://www.minirepairshops.com/searc...couver%2C%20WA

Old 11-20-2016, 10:34 AM
sparkyintraing
Neutral
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
when ya went in to get this estimate

did ya happen to mention, "I’m not the greatest with cars. "

cuz it sounds like the mechanic was thinking "I've got a live one ......"

find a better shop !

p.s. was the $4000 for the clutch, or was there a laundry list of stuff recommended once they looked around?
Actually, my wife took in it for me since I have to be at work at 0’ dark 30. I was worried because the clutch was making noise. Anyway, she told me they said their were a bunch of things wrong (clutch, a belt, a valve cover). I know the terms I’m using are vague, she can’t find the list of stuff she wrote down. Now I feel like an idiot.

Old 11-20-2016, 10:38 AM
sparkyintraing
Neutral
This website might help in your search for a RELIABLE shop. Good luck getting things sorted.
http://www.minirepairshops.com/search?q=Seattle%2C%20WA
or
http://www.minirepairshops.com/searc...couver%2C%20WA
thanks again.

Last edited by sparkyintraing; 11-20-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:38 AM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
How does the clutch feel? If it feels fine, it just may be. The R53 clutches tend to chatter a little; my wife's does always and mine does from time to time. If you need a new belt and valve cover gasket, those are things you can do on your own cheaply in just a couple of hours.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:57 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Over the years on the forum there have been examples of 'the little lady' (not meant as a pejorative but as garage vernacular) being hoodwinked by shop guys thinking they can tell her anything and she'll believe it. I vaguely remember an instance where the 'little lady' was an experienced mechanic and let the good ol' boys know it.
There's a good chance that's exactly what happened with your wife in this case.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:12 PM
sparkyintraing
Neutral
Originally Posted by mdaz75
How does the clutch feel? If it feels fine, it just may be. The R53 clutches tend to chatter a little; my wife's does always and mine does from time to time. If you need a new belt and valve cover gasket, those are things you can do on your own cheaply in just a couple of hours.
It feels fine. Once I get the actual list I plan on fixing what I feel comfortable with and seeking help with the other stuff so I can learn to do for myself.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:14 PM
sparkyintraing
Neutral
Over the years on the forum there have been examples of 'the little lady' (not meant as a pejorative but as garage vernacular) being hoodwinked by shop guys thinking they can tell her anything and she'll believe it. I vaguely remember an instance where the 'little lady' was an experienced mechanic and let the good ol' boys know it.
There's a good chance that's exactly what happened with your wife in this case.
Yeah, I took that into account. Once I take it for a second opinion I’ll have a better idea of what going on.