1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Philadelphia... BRG R53 Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:03 AM
nullcell
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello from Philadelphia... BRG R53 Cooper S

Hello! Just joined after getting frustrated with trolls in the Facebook group I had found. I thought the whole Mini thing was supposed to be fun and friendly and stuff but so far that hasn't really been my experience. Hopefully its better here :-D

I bought this R53 from a former coworker earlier this year and have been having a blast. It needed some TLC. I did the power steering hoses, bushings, and have been modding it. 17% pulley, ST coilovers, fixed front camber plates. Just put these 15" Advanti Storm wheels on to replace the 17" S-lites with runflats, improved the ride considerably and now it is a nice comfy cruiser up and down the Atlantic City expressway. et35, so far no serious rubbing issues but keeping an eye on the rear. I'm not lowered much, at the top of the adjustment range on the coilovers.

I bought an Invidia N1 catback exhaust to put on it because I liked the sound the best from YouTube videos. Because I have a northeast car there is quite a bit of corrosion to deal with, and the exhaust to cat bolts are corroded to the point that they would have to be cut out. It was a bit too much to try to get a torch in on the bolt that is higher up in the tunnel, so I decided to just cut it out at the pipe and got a Milltek header. Hope to get the header and exhaust installed this weekend and fix some loose heat shielding that is rattling in the back as well.

Also bought paint from automotivetouchup to paint the side skirts. I might do the front lip part of the plastic trim too. I also have some Brabus style puddle lights to install in the side skirts.

Other stuff I would like to do are PDR some dents and dings out, Martini stripes from a place I found that does stripes for exotics, front splitter and GP style wing (been eyeing the one on the Way motorwerks site), tint, and maybe dress up the interior a bit with aftermarket seats, plush floor mats and some cool electronics. I have the Harman Kardon sound but would like a head unit that can take a USB stick, so have been debating whether to swap out all the audio.

I had a Lotus Exige for 4 years and loved it, the Mini gives me a similar feeling/experience in a FWD package. Every time I drive the Mini it feels like an event.

I think I will have this car for a long time. I have a special needs son on the autism spectrum and he is in love with this car for some reason. He is mostly non-verbal and only knows a few words, two of which are "dad" and "mini" He'll take me out to the garage point at the car and say "mini" and want to just sit in it sometimes. So I don't think I'll be letting it go anytime soon

I guess I'm spoiling the car/myself a bit with the mods this year. I had a ministroke earlier this year while I was under the mini putting the last screws in the bottom of the front bumper cover wrapping up after dropping the front subframe. So I don't wait around anymore and I'm not gonna let a few trolls run me off. Having fun tricking out the car and building it up.

Attached Thumbnails Hello from Philadelphia... BRG R53 Cooper S-mini_advanti_storm_15inch.jpg   Hello from Philadelphia... BRG R53 Cooper S-minir53_milltekheader.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
coopfan2020 (02-22-2020)
Old 12-17-2016, 07:55 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Welcome to NAM and the cult of R53 ownership.

Love the BRG/white roof/Cordoba beige combo. Looks fantastic!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:26 PM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome! My first MINI was BRG with tan interior........man I like that color combo...

Old 12-17-2016, 02:15 PM
nullcell
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the welcomes... I'm also in bucks...

Yeah I really like the BRG metallic, when it is clean and freshly waxed the color really pops.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:52 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome and Congrats

Looks like you're well on your way with a great project. The exh and header will be a nice little bump in power and sound.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 12-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
R53

Congrats and welcome to NAM! Love the color, and love my '04 R53 as well. You're in good company here! Any questions please ask!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Bernard Barbour
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you Sir for your inspiring story. I really enjoyed the part about your son loving the Mini, bought tears to my eyes. Welcome to NAM and we are all here to help, advise and have a little fun.

Cheers
Bernard

Old 12-19-2018, 06:26 AM
Greg Maple
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Nullcell! I like your Advantis. What size tire are you running on them?

Old 12-19-2018, 09:33 AM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by nullcell
Hello! Just joined after getting frustrated with trolls in the Facebook group I had found. I thought the whole Mini thing was supposed to be fun and friendly and stuff but so far that hasn't really been my experience. Hopefully its better here :-D ...
I just stumbled on this post two years late. I am disappointed to hear your comments about your reception on Facebook. While I am not a Facebook person, I have been a MINI and NAM person for the past year and have found everyone to be extremely supportive. I have also heard great things about the Philadelphia MINI Group and hope you have found them since it is in your area.

If you are still around, I hope you have found the MINI community to be more welcoming than your first impression. If you are around, do you have any update?

Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
I hope you are still reading these posts! More important, I hope the site has helped you in keeping your Mini going.
Drop a line, if you see this post!
Happy Holidays!

Old 12-28-2018, 03:42 PM
gbilton
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome! there are many other friendly groups out there. Since your from Philly (I live in New Jersey) you should check out www.phillymini.org , The community there is very nice and helpful we also go on road rallies from March- December.