1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Texas - New R52 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016 | 12:34 AM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Hello from Texas - New R52 owner

Just found this site as have been sponging to learn about this addictive machine I recently acquired. Never really even noticed these cars until I needed to buy a car for my teenaged kid and bought this on December 24th. I always viewed them as too small, but after driving one for the first time on December 23, I realized these don't feel small and have plenty power. Sad I was so blind to MINI because I have driven BMW's for 20 years, LOL. What I have quickly realized is how much of a bimmer this MCSC really is.

My 2008 cabrio has about 34,000 miles and has a few issues.

I am currently needing to get up to speed on the PDC to stop the annoying, blaring for 10 seconds every time the car is put into reverse and get it functioning properly. I'm also looking for some blind spot mirrors to make backing in crowded school parking lots safer. If anyone has suggested helps or recommended sites, please share, as I am eager to get this behind me--as I have a kid to teach the joys of manual transmission motoring.

Brer Hog

Old 12-29-2016 | 12:40 PM
swiftycoop
2nd Gear
Welcome to the Mini world and NAM! I also live in Houston and while I am certainly no MC expert, I would enjoy making your acquaintance and helping wherever I could with maintenance issues....at least I could be a shoulder to cry on!

Old 12-29-2016 | 01:20 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Congrats on the R52, yes they are similar in some design and attributes. I owned BMWa and MINIs, so I can see the similarities.

I have an R52 also. The PDC buzz and stop is a failed PDC sensor. They are color coded to the paint. You can put your ear when the car ( each rear PDC sensor) is turned and in reverse, without running the engine of course, listen to the ''Tick...tick " noise, which one is not making the sonar impulse is the bad one and will need replaced. Once they work when you put the car in reverse you will her a short beep. That way you now they are working.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-up-paint.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 12-29-2016 | 03:54 PM
Kaniyrret
2nd Gear
Welcome Brer Hog! I'm in Austin and also having a blast with Minis! Might be down that way next week to look at an R52. Enjoy the car!

Old 12-29-2016 | 09:10 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
We've been R52 motoring fanatics for 9 years. You have fallen down a rabbit hole. You're familiar with BMW so you know these little guys need regular attention and proactive service. You will want to get either RaggTopp or 303 fabric guard for the canvas. Keep a can of Liquid Wrench dry lube on hand for the scissor joints when they start squeaking as you run the top up or down, don't use WD-40. To keep ours looking sharp I have been using Griot's Garage products from the get go and highly recommend them.
The most important thing to always remember though is this, topless motoring is motoring at it's best.
One other thing, makes all the difference in the world, keep your eye out for a R52 specific wind deflector. I found one on ebay.

Old 12-29-2016 | 09:34 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by swiftycoop
Welcome to the Mini world and NAM! I also live in Houston and while I am certainly no MC expert, I would enjoy making your acquaintance and helping wherever I could with maintenance issues....at least I could be a shoulder to cry on!
Thanks Swiftycoop. I appreciate your kind offer.
Btw, The car came with a sticker in the windshield - Houston Mini Motoring somethin'other. Do you know anything about that or other local orgs? Just curious. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2016 | 09:42 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Congrats on the R52, yes they are similar in some design and attributes. I owned BMWa and MINIs, so I can see the similarities.

I have an R52 also. The PDC buzz and stop is a failed PDC sensor. They are color coded to the paint. You can put your ear when the car ( each rear PDC sensor) is turned and in reverse, without running the engine of course, listen to the ''Tick...tick " noise, which one is not making the sonar impulse is the bad one and will need replaced. Once they work when you put the car in reverse you will her a short beep. That way you now they are working.

Thanks ECSTuning. I've visited your site and maybe that is where I read about the sensor ticks, but didn't really follow well until now. Thanks for the clear explanation that the engine didn't need to be running. I had no success the other way. Lol. Appreciate the tips.

Old 12-29-2016 | 09:45 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kaniyrret
Welcome Brer Hog! I'm in Austin and also having a blast with Minis! Might be down that way next week to look at an R52. Enjoy the car!
Cool and thanks! Hope it works out.

Old 12-29-2016 | 09:52 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fly'n Brick
We've been R52 motoring fanatics for 9 years. You have fallen down a rabbit hole. You're familiar with BMW so you know these little guys need regular attention and proactive service. You will want to get either RaggTopp or 303 fabric guard for the canvas. Keep a can of Liquid Wrench dry lube on hand for the scissor joints when they start squeaking as you run the top up or down, don't use WD-40. To keep ours looking sharp I have been using Griot's Garage products from the get go and highly recommend them.
The most important thing to always remember though is this, topless motoring is motoring at it's best.
One other thing, makes all the difference in the world, keep your eye out for a R52 specific wind deflector. I found one on ebay.
Fly'n Brick, Thanks for the tips. I'll do that as ragtop is currently in pretty decent shape and the lubes sound smart also. Thanks, I wondered about the availability of the fitted deflector. Sounds like they may be rare.

Old 12-30-2016 | 11:38 AM
swiftycoop
2nd Gear
http://hmms.org/ The Houston Mini Motoring Society

Old 12-31-2016 | 11:09 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Welcome to NAM, Brer!

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 01-01-2017 | 05:43 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Welcome to NAM Brer,
They are fun cars, to say the least! Hope your new driver does well with the stick shift, as manual trans is part of the experience!
Congrats

Old 01-01-2017 | 05:12 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by swiftycoop
http://hmms.org/ The Houston Mini Motoring Society
Pretty cool club video. Looks like fun. Thanks, Swifty

Old 01-01-2017 | 05:13 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini Mania
Welcome to NAM, Brer! Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.
Thanks. Words to live by!

Old 01-01-2017 | 05:18 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Welcome to NAM Brer, They are fun cars, to say the least! Hope your new driver does well with the stick shift, as manual trans is part of the experience! Congrats
Ha! That makes two of us. We've got some time and just learning to feather the clutch. At least one of us is having a blast so far. 😄

Old 01-01-2017 | 05:22 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
[QUOTE="Brer Hog;4269222"] Ha! That makes two of us. We've got some time and just learning to feather the clutch. At least one of us is having a blast so far. "Didn't like the smiley face".

Last edited by Brer Hog; 01-03-2017 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Duplicate of above post
Old 01-01-2017 | 06:35 PM
Brer Hog
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning

Just want to say thanks for the above troubleshooting info. After identifying the faulty sensor I tore into the PDC issue last night and repaired this afternoon. Removed Phillips head screws on either side of trunk opening, popped off wheel arch trim, removed left corner Phillips head screw on lower bumper cladding and saw wires had been poorly spliced and yellow and green wires had pulled loose from butt couplers used to splice wire. Cut out bad and spliced in new wire with butt couplers, placed key in ignition and turned one notch, placing gear in reverse and walked behind bumper and speaker began chirping as I walked behind car. Heat-sealed and taped up wiring and replaced bumper and fasteners. PDC sensors activate when it detects a solid object about 6 feet away behind the bumper. Is that about the correct distance? Many thanks!

Last edited by Brer Hog; 01-01-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 01-04-2017 | 11:37 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You are welcome. Yea , its very close on the PDC sonar for the early Generation MINIs. I have them on my R58 and the system seems to reach a foot further or so.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-04-2017 | 12:19 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Brer Hog
Fly'n Brick, Thanks for the tips. I'll do that as ragtop is currently in pretty decent shape and the lubes sound smart also. Thanks, I wondered about the availability of the fitted deflector. Sounds like they may be rare.

I found a basically unused BMW wind deflector. Didn't make as much difference as I expected. Maybe living in South Florida as something to do with it.