1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello all ... about to order my first MINI

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017 | 10:08 PM
JessN16
|
Neutral
Hello all ... about to order my first MINI

Greetings all,

I guess I'm about 1-2 months away from jumping into the MINI game. I've been a long-time fan of buying older cars (I call them "distressed assets") and making daily drivers out of them. Currently I'm rotating a couple of antique Jaguars and a "newer" one (1998) in that role, but with the increased amount of travel I must do for work and a toddler in the house who needs his safety assured, I've decided to get a truly new car for myself for the first time since 1989.

What led me to MINI at first was really the ability to order a manual transmission. As all of us know, not many companies offer the option anymore. Once I test-drove a Cooper S coupe, I was pretty hooked. The fact the car had a good safety rating cinched it.

I'm going to likely be ordering a John Cooper Works 2-door coupe in Moonwalk Grey with a grey roof, carbon fiber mirrors, the cup spoke 18" wheels and JCW side scuttles. This seems to give it just enough red to set off the grey. I'm torn, though, between the Moonwalk and Thunder shades. The interior is where I'm going to go a little "red crazy" with the red/black seats, JCW floor mats, red color line on the dash, etc.

This seems to be an impressive little car and ideal for me as a businessman's coupe, given that my wife and I already have a Lincoln MKT for family trips, and I look forward to having a sports coupe again for the roads we have around our home. I'll take any tips anyone wants to offer me of course. Thanks for providing a home for fans of this car to chat.

Jess

Old 04-05-2017 | 08:30 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Hi and welcome to the nam family!
Post up some pics of your new Mini, when you get it!

Old 04-05-2017 | 09:19 AM
PDXJG
Neutral
Definitely looking forward to updates once the orders been made and you receive it!

Welcome!

Originally Posted by JessN16
Greetings all,

I guess I'm about 1-2 months away from jumping into the MINI game. I've been a long-time fan of buying older cars (I call them "distressed assets") and making daily drivers out of them. Currently I'm rotating a couple of antique Jaguars and a "newer" one (1998) in that role, but with the increased amount of travel I must do for work and a toddler in the house who needs his safety assured, I've decided to get a truly new car for myself for the first time since 1989.

What led me to MINI at first was really the ability to order a manual transmission. As all of us know, not many companies offer the option anymore. Once I test-drove a Cooper S coupe, I was pretty hooked. The fact the car had a good safety rating cinched it.

I'm going to likely be ordering a John Cooper Works 2-door coupe in Moonwalk Grey with a grey roof, carbon fiber mirrors, the cup spoke 18" wheels and JCW side scuttles. This seems to give it just enough red to set off the grey. I'm torn, though, between the Moonwalk and Thunder shades. The interior is where I'm going to go a little "red crazy" with the red/black seats, JCW floor mats, red color line on the dash, etc.

This seems to be an impressive little car and ideal for me as a businessman's coupe, given that my wife and I already have a Lincoln MKT for family trips, and I look forward to having a sports coupe again for the roads we have around our home. I'll take any tips anyone wants to offer me of course. Thanks for providing a home for fans of this car to chat.

Jess

Old 04-05-2017 | 09:37 AM
Zillon
5th Gear
Jess, where are you located?

If you're in the NY/NJ/PA/DE area, I'd be more than happy to help you with any questions and help you place your order.

Also, welcome to NAM!

Old 04-05-2017 | 10:37 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Welcome to Minidom! Great car, fun drive and even fairly practical. You'll end up taking that Mini on some of the family trips instead of the MKT. It's pretty roomy, and wait till you get addicted to the way handles on the road.

Color choices are brutal for anyone to make. MINIs look good in a lot of color combinations. Might give the lighter colors a shot, especially white up top, since you live in a fairly warm climate with lots of sunshine. Just a thought.

Hope to see what you end up buying. Congrats ahead of time.