1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well met everyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:26 AM
ThatGuyD
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well met everyone

FNG here

The better half owns an aging 2006 Mini. Figured I should join up and get to know the community, and hopefully get some help with the many many problems this poor thing is starting to have. I'm pretty mechanically inclined. Built cars with my father back in the 80's and 90's, and always do all of my own mechanic work unless it requires too much downtime or specialty tools I can't get my hands on.

I'll provide some feedback on the forums of a couple jobs I am about to get into.
1. ABS Pump replacement.
2. Air Bag CPU
3. Possibly/hopefully just a short in the dash somewhere from a crappy IID install/removal (breathalyzer device from 5 years ago)

I look forward to talking to "everyone".

Old 09-02-2017, 07:34 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Have you checked out the Gen1 Stock Problems/Issues area yet? You may find that some of your issues are addressed.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:14 AM
ThatGuyD
Neutral
I've basically used google so far, and 90% of the results come here, so more than likely I have been there.

Seems like electrical problems are gonna be a major pita.

But, the car runs strong, so I want to keep him alive.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:50 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM.
Before you start tering into the dash, get it electronically analyzed.
Many times the abs pump has a broken wire, where it connects at the plug on the lower back side, where it rubs on the body.
The air bag light can come on for many reasons and there may be a recall on that issue.
2006 Mini was great year and is sought after by many Miniacs. Is it an S or a justa?
We like pics!

The following users liked this post:
MiniTigger (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 10:30 PM
ThatGuyD
Neutral
It is not a S. After digging around under the dash today and not seeing an shorts, we are going to take it to the dealer to have it checked. I'll check the ABS wire before I replace the pump. Good lookin on that. The airbag light has been on since it was in a kind of accident. Some guy lost his trailer hitch on the betway in front of her one day and she ran right over it. Blew out 2 tires and did some other damage underneath the car. They had to remove the passenger seat to do some reapairs, and the airbag light has been on ever since. I can't clea the code and it's been about 3 years since she had the work done, so can't take it back to the dealer for that unfortunately.

The electric problem in the dash, I'm 100% sure is due to the crap job the installer for the breathalyzer did. They basically just ripped the machine out and stuffed the wires back under the dash. I called them to ask about it, and they got incredibly defensive about it and said they remove everything and it couldn't be them, yet the 3 wires they used are still there, one of them being a power wire they hooked directly to the fuse box, which they also never bothered to secure back to the car and is has been dangling by wires for god knows how long. I kinda hate people right now.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome

If you need the ABS unit a used one can be installed much cheaper than a new one, but will need to be coded to work right.

As for the airbag fault have it diagnosed to be sure.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 09-05-2017, 07:47 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 180 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome.

Best of luck.

Motor On!