1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbe post: The Journey to Mini

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:39 PM
CooperCutie
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbe post: The Journey to Mini

My first post here. I'm Angela, aka CooperCutie. I found this site in a search for information, answers and potentially enhancements to my Mini Cooper S Clubman . I have owned and driven many different cars in my lifetime. I started with 67 pale green Plymouth Belvedere at age 15, 4 door, ugly, but could fit 6-7 friends, which was its' only redeeming quality. Thru the years, mostly due to income levels, attempted to own the most reliable car i could afford to get me from point A to B, which included, a Banana yellow Vega Station wagon, spray can white VW Rabbit, decent Mazda 626, etc. These cars were not connected to my personality or desire to truly enjoy the driving experience. Once landing a fantastic job out of school it was time to get an automobile that had some personality and that I could make my own. I went the practical route and bought a 1970 VW Bug. I needed to learn very quickly how to do VW engine repair as something was failing or breaking on a weekly basis. So i bought a VW repair for dummies book and I was off and running. I'm somewhere in between a tomboy and a girly girl so getting a bit greasy was okay with me back then. I, with a good friend, ended up dropping the entire motor and doing a full rebuild which included every option to increase horsepower that i could fit into that tiny engine compartment. I continued to customize by dropping the Bug as far as legally allowed, duel exhaust, duel carbs, bored heads, etc., repainted it, chromed out T bars, premium sound system. It was mine, I connected with it, it was part of me. It actually ran beautifully and was a lot of fun for a couple of years. I actually made a small profit when I sold it but it wasn't easy to let that car go. My next car would be a 1985 Mustang GT convertible. Power and beauty. Loved it but it was one of a million GT's out on the road and after having the Bug be such a unique little beast, it just didn't feel special. I went a completely different route with my next vehicle and bought a Jeep Cherokee. It was perfect for my lifestyle, dogs, camping, fishing etc...all good except no real power to speak of and obviously no ability to hug the road, unless climbing rocks or off roading, which I did neither of really on purpose,. My next car was a big jump in $$. I bought a 1990 Porsche 911 Guards Red Targa. LOVED THIS CAR! The feeling you get when driving a 911 is unlike anything I'd ever driven or probably will ever drive. I will never lose the love of driving this car. After owning it for almost 7 years and sending my Porsche mechanics kids to college,. The love of my life was renamed the "The Exxon Valdez" as the engine seals had failed and I was looking at either a complete engine rebuild for 10 grand minimum or I could use that cash to get something else. I let the Valdez go and bought a Jeep Rubicon. The Rubicon is gorgeous. Its a very unique color changing greenish yellow. They don't make this color any longer. This Jeep has been a champ and actually has some power to go along with its tough look. We have done some customization like, 3 1/2" lift kit, wheels and tires, grill kits but for the most part nothing over the top as its a head turner as is.
Its a 2008 and i honestly get compliments on it nearly every time I'm out.
So Ive kept the Rubicon as I will drive that until the wheels come off. I needed a little sports car though. I unfortunately ended up with some medical issues which have made it difficult to get in and out of the Jeep so I needed a different car that would be easier for me to get around in.
I set a budget for myself and began a search for the same type of feeling i had with my VW bug and the 911 Targa. I honestly had no idea what I was looking for but i did know I was beyond wanting to work on my own car ever again, i.e., VW engine work and unwilling to trade a comfortable retirement with Porsche tune ups, brake jobs and Clutch work which could honestly cost as much as a month in Europe, jk, not jk.
Ive never bought a new vehicle in my life and wasn't going to start now.
As I was looking at many different cars online an ad popped up for a MINI Cooper. I hadn't even considered this car at all because i wanted a car big enough to accommodate 4-5 people, haul my dogs around and of course I wanted that in a sports car that had that "911 sit your butt back in the seat" when stepping on the gas and hung onto the road as you wind your way thru the hills where I live. Then I saw a Clubman Ad pop up. Hmmmmmm, would this work? I test drove about 5 other non Mini branded vehicles that day and nothing was feeling good, right, solid, unique, me. I then decided Id take a quick look at a used Clubman for sale, at a dealership, on my way home from a long day of test drives. As you all know here on this site, i fell in love. I walked away from that car I test drove as it was the first one I'd ever driven. It was surprisingly fast and just felt very solid and much bigger inside than I'd ever expected. I went home and began my research. I honestly couldn't look at any other cars as I knew the Cooper S was going to be my new addition, i just needed to find out which one. Thankfully, only the Countryman and Clubman would fulfill my lifestyle needs so that narrowed my search. I just didn't like the Countryman. Not really sure why, just didn't. My budget was tight as I rarely finance cars.
As this story is WAAAAAAAY longer than I intended, I ended up buying the very first Mini Clubman I test drove. I test drove about 8 different MINIs and the original one was by far the most solid one of the bunch. I'm pretty certain I did well as I bought this 2014 Mini Cooper S Clubman with only 26k miles on it for $16,500. it was listed at $19,500 originally. I walked away 3 times before the dealership finally gave in to my offer. It wasn't a Mini dealer by the way. Its not a flashy Mini, no stripes, flags, crosses, etc.. It's Just clean and classy Black with chrome accents and light blue side mirrors. I'm going to add a few aftermarket items but going to try to leave it subtle but stylish. Ive only had it a little over a month, no tags yet even, but it is mine. its found a good home. The one thing I missed so much with owing my 911 Targa was i always began to smile each and every time I started the ignition. I have found that smile again, . I'll be searching here for a light blue Hood Scoop insert, maybe subtle carbon striping ideas and inexpensive options to listen to satellite radio, as mine didn't come with SAT loaded.
Ill take some better photos soon.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Great looking car. Plus the MINI should be a little easier on the wallet/handbag when it comes to maintenance costs.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome and Congrats.

Love the list of cars you've had. I have a clubman as my company car and love it too.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Welcome to NAM! Wow, that's quite the introduction. For everything from maintenance to mods, chances are we have what you need to know/

Old 09-14-2017, 06:13 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 PM
mdaz75
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome, nice clubman!

Old 09-16-2017, 06:08 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM.
Hope you learn to love your Mini, like you did with your Porsche!