1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

plotting first mini racer

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017 | 04:47 PM
Dirt Oval Racer
|
1st Gear
plotting first mini racer

Hello, I'm new to the forum and to New Minis. I previously owned a few classic minis, raced a super beetle in autocross with the SCCA from 2005-2010, ran in the 4 cyl class at the local dirt track (IMCA sanctioned) in 2011 and 12 and now I'm planning my first new mini 4 cylinder car. I've waited a decade for the cars to come down to my price range for racing, There are very few around me, but I have a truck and trailer and can get to Minneapolis and back in a day. I watch craigslist and the salvage auctions for potential cars. The one drawback I see over and over is having to defeat various forms of computer control. If I score a decent one with a bad automatic to swap over to 5 speed, there is plenty of info on defeating the computers idea that it 's an automatic. Many of the salvage cars do not have keys, and that appears to be a BIG deal.
I started a thread yesterday about this in the racing section, but without a profile, I guess I should have started here, and with that.
Anyway, thanks for having me and I'm having a blast going through all the info here.

Old 11-24-2017 | 04:55 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Welcome to NAM.

Lots of racer guys here. What year car you looking for? Forced induction?

Old 11-24-2017 | 05:14 PM
Dirt Oval Racer
|
1st Gear
The car must be normally aspirated. No race tires, 60 series max (a rule i caused!) no rally, winter or mud tires. I can modify stock springs, I can swap springs from other Mini's if they are factory springs. Wheels are open to stock or maybe race wheels this year. No lightweight racing wheels. Other classes require a minimum weight on wheels, I haven't looked up for this class next years rules yet. No weight limit on car, but limits on where you can cut out or trim. All trim, plastic and glass goes, fuel cell if the gas tank is behind rear axle or skid plate if it's ahead of the axle. Full race cage with drivers side plate too. I have that already.
The tracks vary from 1/4 mile high bank to 3/8 low banking. Track prep varies each week.
This was way more fun than autocross ever was.

Old 11-24-2017 | 05:16 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
I've been doing track days and racing my R53 MINI for years. You don't have to remove all the computers to race it as most mine are still in my car.

Since they are getting cheap I would go ahead and watch for the right car that doesn't need body work or have a sunroof as that will be one thing you won't want. Also avoid getting an automatic and trying to swap it as you will find you will need much more than just a trans.

Old 11-24-2017 | 05:19 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Way, how much can he get from a ECU tune on a Justa?

Old 11-24-2017 | 05:22 PM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Can you change out the rear sway bar?

Old 11-24-2017 | 05:26 PM
Dirt Oval Racer
|
1st Gear
I would greatly prefer a 5 spd, i know the cvt is a steaming pile. I don"t care too much about the sunroof, the cage has overhead cross bars and just covering it over with sheet metal is fine. No one can see that from the stands. This is dirt track, and even if I race cleaner than most, metal contact happens.

Way Motors, my real concern is defeating the key issue if I get a car without one. That often drops the price at the auctions to 500 or so. Got any thread links to race coverage of your car?

Old 11-24-2017 | 05:28 PM
Dirt Oval Racer
|
1st Gear
r53 coop: No sway bars allowed. Battery placement is wide open, I use that to change polar moment and fine tune with toe out. I have scales this year too so I can set wedge.

Old 11-24-2017 | 05:58 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Welcome to the forum

Old 11-25-2017 | 09:46 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Hi and welcome to NAM, Dirt Oval Racer.
You can use the vin to get a new key.
Sadly most Minis come with sunroof.
STAY AWAY from CVT!!! There are many gen 1 Mini Justa's out there. Gen 2 can be had with a six speed, but the Pugot engines are not dependable and are prone to failure.
Stay with the gen 1 2002-2006 good engine!

Old 11-25-2017 | 11:39 AM
Dirt Oval Racer
|
1st Gear
Thanks itsmewayne, I didn't know about the 2nd gen motors. Sunroofs just need to be covered, the cage is the real safety item, though I will add a layer over the top of the cage this time, where the driver is.

Old 11-26-2017 | 09:55 PM
squawSkiBum
Of the 2nd gen engines, the N14 has some well known issues (timing chain tensioner, PCV system, HPFP, vacuum pump) but with proper upgrades it can be a beast. The N18 is far more reliable, but tuning options are more limited than the N14. Check out the 2nd gen forums for more information.

Post a thread on your project!

Old 11-27-2017 | 03:56 PM
Dirt Oval Racer
|
1st Gear
once I get one, I'll start a build thread in the race section.

Old 11-28-2017 | 07:33 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome. Love to see a build thread.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172