1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unsettled NooB in Savannah

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:40 PM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unsettled NooB in Savannah

Greetings! I have on order a 19 PW/B/Malt Brown MCSc. Coming out of a 12 Camry hybrid with 200k miles and only one wheel bearing repair, I considered mini and mustang c’s and decided on the mini for the nimble driving experience and to not repeat my previous problems with domestic brands. Since placing my order though, I have seen so many negative comments and YouTube owner reports that i’m Second-guessing myself. I know i’ll Pay more when I have an issue, I just don’t want to be afraid to drive the car. I also see so many videos about oil sludge, upgrading inter coolers, etc., that it sounds like I’ll outlive my mini and i’m 67. I will have a four year warranty, but again, some seem to think BMW/Mini will try to deflect any and all warranty repairs. I will drive a lot less once I retire. I hope to enjoy evening rides and runs to the beaches and islands around Savannah, etc. maybe some organized Mini events, too. I am still excited about taking delivery but i’d welcome thoughts about general reliability and confidence in the Mini brand. In advance thanks.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:36 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Went through a couple stangs and done with them. As for the oil sludge, just use good oil / filters and change at the 5k instead of the 10k and you'll be fine. It is slightly more for parts, but no days everything is getting that way. You'll be happy with it .. I am.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Welcome to NAM!

I'd say - relax and enjoy your new MINI. Yes the N14 engine in the Gen2s had some well known problems, however the 1st gen cars are still going strong, just check out the forum! The N18 engine in the later Gen2s is much more reliable, and so far the engines in the Gen3 cars look good.

My dealer didn't try to deflect any warranty repairs - just the opposite, they were proactive about looking for items that would be covered under warranty and taking care of them every time the car was in for service. I think it all depends on the dealer, hope you have one of the good ones.

So enjoy the car, read the forums for advice and mod it if you like. You don't need to upgrade the intercooler or suspension, or get a tune, but if you want to, you'll find all the information about what and how to do it here!

Old 05-03-2018, 05:28 PM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Thanks Old Biker and Ski Bum, for your very practical perspective. I think I’ve gotten over my anxiety and am now really excited to pick up my new MINI. They tell me it has reached the port but is not yet released to the trucking co. I’m looking forward to posting some pics and starting my MINI journey.
Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:15 PM
miniCPA
5th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Welcome to the forum and MINI ownership.

I am not the best person to respond. I purchased a 2006 MINI that I intend to drive 4,000 miles this year and 2,000 miles a year after that. My MINI is a second car but I may buy a MINI as a daily driver in the future.

MINIs are not like other cars. They are far more enjoyable to drive and more expensive to repair. It is a trade off that buyers should be aware of in advance. If someone wants to get from place A to place B cheaply and don’t care about the time in between, they should buy a Honda. If if someone wants to enjoy the drive but can not face expensive repairs and an occasional day without the car, they should drive a Mazda.

To minimize the significant unknown repairs, a buyer should avoid the first years of a new model with a new engine and keep ahead of maintenance. Synthetic oil changes at 5,000 miles as an example. The 2019 should be a good year to buy.

This forum should help minimize the cost of repairs. I have picked up some pointers that have saved me a lot of time and money bringing my 13 year old MINI up to the level I want it (100% perfection).

Congratulations for your purchase. I look forward to the pictures.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:45 PM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Thanks miniCPA. I’ve accepted the realities of going from a Toyota to a mini. I know the cost per mile will be higher so I’m going to be renting cars for my business travel of 30k+ miles/year. This will keep my mini in better condition and make my weekends and work from home days a lot more fun. My Toyota Camry hybrid has been flawless- - I would have bought another one but it is sooooo soulless I just couldn’t do it to myself again. Now, the wait for myMINI to come in is driving me crazy,,,

Old 05-05-2018, 09:07 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
Hi and welcome to NAM, SavanahMan! Minis' are made to be driven. Fear is the stealer of fun! Don't let negative posts scare you! Many American car owners, do not understand maintaining a car and usually run it into the ground. European cars need maintenance to keep them like new for many years! Don't miss oil/filter changes and check the coolant, tires and the like at least every week.
I sell used Mini Coopers and it is scary how little maintenance that is done on most of them. I basically have to do a lot to these cars, to make them ready for the road again!
I own a 2006 MCS JCW and always drive it like I stole it, but I keep up on maintenance and at over 150K miles, it still runs like a watch, with few problems. The gen 2 Minis need much more attention, but the gen threes seem to be good to go! So have no fear and drive it like ya stole it and enjoy why they are made as they are! Steet legal Go cart! Find the twistie roads less traveled!
Congrats on your new buy and we expect to see pics!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 05-05-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:16 AM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Thanks so much, ItsmeWayne. I appreciate your enthusiasm and advice. I’ve seen different theories on braking in a Mini but driving it like your going to drive it makes sense to me. I will post pics. Still waiting for it to be released from the port. Could have had the top down today!

Old 05-06-2018, 05:12 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 626 Likes on 555 Posts
Welcome to NAM.

Maintain the car and it will serve you well. With the warranty if you have second thoughts down the road, can always trade it in.

Head north into the Appalachians and you will understand what a MINI was made for.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:22 AM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Thanks Whine not Walnuts,
i’m hoping My MINI. will be released to the trucking company today. Can’t wait to pick it up and begin enjoying some driving excursions!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:15 PM
2013JCWMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to North American Motoring SavannahMan!
I'm sure you're going to get a lot of fun and good use out your new MINI. I will second what ItsmeWayne wrote. MINIs are made to be driven and have fun with. Simple care and maintenance will have them lasting for years. I purchased my 2013 JCW at the end of October 2017. I've already been on several road trips, taken it to Helenblitz, and MINIs on the Dragon. You know what, not a single problem. (Besides being dirty. I can't stand it being dirty.) If you ever need a hand or some advice, you've got a good group of MINIacs in your area. Coastal MINIs are a good bunch of folks in Savannah. https://sites.google.com/site/savannahminis/ and you got us, Charleston MINI Club further up north. If you got any questions or ever want to motor, look us up!

Old 05-20-2018, 02:11 PM
SavannahMan
2nd Gear
Thanks 13JCW Mini
just picked up my Mini and it is exactly what I hoped. Nimble, responsive, premium feel and fun to drive and look at. First drive was 2hours from Charleston to Savannah, top down all the way, then to dinner and back enjoying the open air and toggles! I am loving this car! Looking forward to meeting other owners and the Mini community.