1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome to NAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:04 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Madison MS MINI
Cost me about 5k in 1980 dollars to make it US worthy. With our dollar sucking wind It could be less expensive to buy a US model over there and ship it back. I know VOLVO has a promo package "go abroad and buy a car while you vacation and we'll ship it back for you".
Little research could net you some bucks well spent.
Some good points here however, although I am not positive, I strongly doubt you'll be able to buy a US spec Mini in the UK. They do not have the program that BMW and others have whereby one can order a car in the states and go to Europe for delivery and then have it shipped back to the US. My suggestion would be to go to the Mini USA website and try to find a place where you can ask questions. Failing that, I'd call you nearest Mini dealer in the UK and have him find out for you. Good luck. By the way, I spent five years in Yorkshire. Fabulous roads for driving.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 AM
TooFPaste39
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by investigator
Having spent 10 years in Europe and shipped cars back to the U.S. I doubt you'll be able to ship a UK spec Mini back. Of course things may have changed in the last 20 years. I recall a coworker who shipped a German spec BMW back and to have it meet U.S. safety and emission specs it was going to cost him in the neighborhood of $15,000.00. This was in the mid 80's. If I were you I'd research all aspects before plunking down your money.
A couple of my coworkers are in the process of doing this. I read some articles on vehicles that are 25 yrs old or older; they are not required to pass emissions and safety tests.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
investigator
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TooFPaste39
A couple of my coworkers are in the process of doing this. I read some articles on vehicles that are 25 yrs old or older; they are not required to pass emissions and safety tests.
I guess I presumed you were buying a new Mini. I lived in Germany 82 - 85 and anyone returning to the US with a non US spec car had to go through the process of "federalizing" it. Perhaps things have changed. You might also want to consider where you will buy parts for a Euro spec model. There are some differences between US and Euro models. Best of luck in your adventure.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM
TooFPaste39
2nd Gear
Thanks! I hope this new venture to a Mini will be a good one. I currently come from a Honda & Dodge background.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Cocoloco
Neutral
New to Mini

Hello! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my very first MINI. My local dealer could only sell me a production spot for the end of June, so I will have to wait until the end of July to receive my MINI. I most recently owned a 2005 Honda Civic and hated it. There is just no substitute for German engineering. For any who are interested, I ordered a Hot Chocolate Clubman.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 PM
clubWOman
Neutral
Originally Posted by Cocoloco
Hello! I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my very first MINI. My local dealer could only sell me a production spot for the end of June, so I will have to wait until the end of July to receive my MINI. I most recently owned a 2005 Honda Civic and hated it. There is just no substitute for German engineering. For any who are interested, I ordered a Hot Chocolate Clubman.

Congrats! Welcome, I also am a new Clubman owner. You are going to love motoring in it! Peace.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
Welcome to nam everyone

Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
pine1
1st Gear
Hi, Soon to be Mini S Owner SS colour

Hi all,
Have been lurking on site for a few weeks and decided to Join!, Have driven loads of cars, Corvettes,BM's Mercedes, Jag's etc.
Gas prices are hitting $4.75 a gallon up here In Canada, I have to do about 600 KM a week for my business, and I find for a fill up on my Cayenne that over $100, a shot is too much. So am exchanging it this week for a Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper S. My initial worry was for winter driving, we've had the most ''killer winter here in 30 years'' Snow Ice etc. Have asked around and most people had studded Blizzak's instaled on their Mini's, and everyone admits the same thing,I'ts a real tractor on snow & Ice.
Made a deal with my wife that If I absolutely had to go out in a major storm,She'd lend me her 4X4 Pathfinder.
oh yes, don't laugh! I ordered the 6 speed Automatic, Quebec is having major Road refurbs, and the Trek (90 km) from my town to Montreal, a 55 Minute Ride at most now takes over 2 Hours with all the detours, Jam ups. etc. So I opted for automatic.
In the summer, I own an older Porsche 911, so the smaller car factor does not scare me. I'll know better after next winter haha. Admistrators, GREAT SITE! Keep up the fine work & wish me luck! Great posts and info from members Thanks

Tom (Pine 1)

Old 05-18-2008, 06:30 PM
chica3366
1st Gear
Hello everyone,
Well its been over 24 hours since I went for test drive and signed the papers. I tried the Mini Cooper as well as the new Clubman. The Clubman was very cool, but in the end the Mini swept me off my toes...My MCS was enroute to the dealership as I was finalizing the deal, so hopefully I will be able to pick up "Coop" by tomorrow evening....Dark Silver, Black roof and mirrors

Old 05-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Madison MS MINI
3rd Gear
NEW Pics from NEW Parent

Originally Posted by chica3366
I will be able to pick up "Coop" by tomorrow evening....Dark Silver, Black roof and mirrors
Make sure and post pics of the delivery! But make sure no private areas are in the pics. We wouldn't want anyone to be embarassed.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Riffster
4th Gear
Hey Everyone!! Joined the site because i plan on ordering my MINI in just a couple months!! Figured where else to get my questions answered better than MINI owners themselves!!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Drea
Neutral
Hi all! I am currently finalizing exactly what I want in my Mini, and then will be on my way back to the dealer soon. If anyone has any suggestions of what I must have, feel free to share.

Just wanted to say hello! I've been lurking for a while and decided to join :-)

Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
beermc00
Neutral
First time poster.

Hi everyone,
I have never posted to one of these before, so I hope I am doing this right, my apologies if I have not. I have been lurking on here since I bought my '08 Chili Red MC with white bonnet stripes on March 8th. I had eight cars before this one and so far she is my favorite, hands down. Thanks NAM, I have already used info on this site to hook up my Sirius plug and play radio using the built in antenna in my MC and I have decided to use premium fuel. I stop by almost daily to see what else I can learn. Great site!

Cory B.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM
ChiliBomb
2nd Gear
Proud new mini owner!!!

Hello Everyone!
We just got our '08 Chili Red/WR with black racing stripes!!! Searched the whole east coast for it and found her in South Atlanta just waiting for us! We had to fight over who got to drive her back to Mountain City, TN! (a 7 hour drive!)

Old 05-24-2008, 01:13 PM
swerx
Neutral
Hi , just joined . Gonna check out F1 qualiy and get some sleep . Seems like a cool forum .

Old 05-25-2008, 11:32 PM
mark alias
Neutral
hello everyone. newbie to the forum but i had been leeching for a while - while i was waiting for my '08 AB MCS and i finally got it this past thursday and i can't be any more happier w/ this purchase.

i have an astro black that is yet to be named; my old bmw z3 is named "marcia" -- hmm...maybe i shall name the MCS "ricardo"?!

anywho, i have all the packages except the sports which i sorta now regret not having. oh well.

anywho, regards to everyone and pictures to follow!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 AM
MiniCommando
Neutral
Hello all! I just purchased my first Mini about a week ago. Its an 06 MCS black with Cold, Prem, HK, Chrono and many other things i'm still figuring out. I look forward to learing as much as possible from this forum.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 AM
TOMMACK
Neutral
THANKS TO ALL

Folks, I am a new and abashed member. I wish to from the start thank all of you for this site: I've just successfully completed my first oil and filter change and, if not for your detailed posts and stories of woe, I'd have been towing my MC2003 to the dealer. Good show.

I do have a benign question: at the rear and to the left of my MC's glove box is a **** that rotates from 0 to 90 degrees and does so for no apparent purpose. I can find no literature or post.
What is the function of this ****?
Again, thanks for being here, all.
Tom Mack, VA

Old 05-26-2008, 08:37 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TOMMACK
What is the function of this ****?
It will turn on/off a vent for the AC to cool your glovebox. Welcome!!!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:43 AM
TOMMACK
Neutral
GLOVE BOX A/C?

Thanks, mate. I'd have never figured that out. Makes one wonder: why does one want to cool one's glove box?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:55 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
why does one want to cool one's glove box?
That is a very good question!!!!! The official MINI literature proposed that keeping a soft drink cold was a justification for having the vent, but I suspect it was really for keeping your stash of dark chocolate from menting in the boot.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:14 AM
TOMMACK
Neutral
GLOVE BOX FRIDGE

Good one. Must have been the same design engineer who came up with the engine coolant drain procedure, which took me easily three times as long than the oil/filter changeout.

While I have you on line, (and, I must caveat: I am VERY new to forums, posting and manners, etc.), and I'm not too sure if I should mix subjects, but have you had problems finding regulation lube for the manual xmission for the 1.6?

Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just Got Mine!

After being a lurker for the past couple months, I pulled the trigger and got me an '03 MCS about a week ago.

Last time I drove a Mini was when I was stationed in the UK about 30 years ago. Needless to say they have improved the car immensely! The Mini's I drove back then only developed about 32 HP with a fresh tune-up and valve job. Last one had before coming back home was a '63 coupe.

This past Saturday I had the opportunity to take the MINI out on a drive in Middle Tennessee. Found the almost perfect driving road for a MINI. SR 30 runs between SR 70S and SR127 going through Spencer and part of Fall Creek Falls state park. Approximately 35 miles of a mix of straights, hills, and LOTS of curves and turns. What a hoot! Next road trip sometime this summer will be to Deal's Gap aka "The Dragon".

What I've seen so far on this forum has been very helpful. I hope I can contribute to help others here.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:09 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
have you had problems finding regulation lube for the manual xmission for the 1.6?
I must admit, I've never looked!!!

And welcome HalAC!!

Old 05-26-2008, 04:48 PM
meandering retiree
1st Gear
Our "new to us" Mini

We were looking for something to pull behind our motorhome when my wife saw "her" Mini. We looked at it, drove it, checked to make certain that it could be pulled "four down" behind our coach, called the previous owner, and bought it just that quickly. It tows beautifully behind our coach and we took it to the Smokies for its first trip. Once there we had to drive the Tail of the Dragon. Talk about a thrill! Wow! Fortunately I let a German biker pass us on the straight a way and he got the ticket at the bottom, not me! We plan on going back again this fall so my brother and son-in-law can also drive it on the Dragon. The only real problem I have had is getting my wife to let me drive it as it is "her" car. We both really enjoy driving it and whoever gets to the garage first drives.

Quick Reply: Welcome to NAM