1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welcome to NAM

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 AM
mgb
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I would drop past and say hi from Australia.
Looking to purchase a MINI shortly, and hence have been looking around the forum's to try and educate myself on all the options (head feels like it is going to explode with the options available)

Cheers,

MGB

Old 06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Tano
Neutral
Hi to all the people who love minis. The best car of the world.
I'm new in this forum and I come from italy.
It's a pleasure to join this forum.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM
chowdah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Tano
Hi to all the people who love minis. The best car of the world.
I'm new in this forum and I come from italy.
It's a pleasure to join this forum.
Hi Tano, you'll find all the Mini info you need on this forum! My husband and I are visiting Italy for the first time this summer. We can't wait to see your beautiful country! Welcome to NAM

Old 06-10-2008, 04:01 PM
chowdah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mgb
Thought I would drop past and say hi from Australia.
Looking to purchase a MINI shortly, and hence have been looking around the forum's to try and educate myself on all the options (head feels like it is going to explode with the options available)

Cheers,

MGB
Hey MGB, I spent months poking around on this forum before buying my Mini. The options list is insane ... I must have built 50+ cars before deciding on the perfect fit. Now we're waiting for our "boy" to be completed ... The wait is a killer too! Have fun with it ...

Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Bimmernet
Neutral
Whazup, Mini friends?

I'm coming back to Mini after a 41 year hiatus...wow...WOW...I can't believe it's been 4 decades since I got my Red and Black 1967 Austin Cooper S 1275 at age 17. I'm attaching a picture taken with my new Mini shortly after taking delivery and 6 months after a horrific head-on collision where I was in a '66 Cortina GT and met, at night, in pea-soup fog, and met up with a Ford Country Squire wagon, that was Southbound in the Northbound lanes of divided Highway 101 near San Diego.

My "new" face was not quite "dry" in this picture and appeared more like Silly Putty than anything else and I was still walking with a discernible limp, but I could drive! As a matter of fact I was so boastful about the abilities of my Mini on this particular stretch of road, that my dad had a go with me in his 1967 911S. Yes, my dad was canyon racing with his son but we were sensible about it; more of a quick "follow the leader...if you can". No passing on corners or lurid tail out slides but none-the-less, a bit of fun. I had one of the coolest dads on earth and I still miss him everyday.

Shortly after this picture was snapped I took the photographer out for quick (and I mean quick) ride on the same two lane country road. Even demonstrated a parking brake assisted "squared" turn just as I had seen Stirling Moss execute on the "Today Show" about a week before. If anyone from San Diego knows Black Mountain Road, back in 1967 it was only a washboard dirt road about 5 miles farther East.

More recently, from 2003 to 2007, I worked as an Internet Sales Manager at a large Northern CA BMW/Mini Dealership and almost got a Mini back then but ended up with an M3 instead. My current ride is a 2005 C55 AMG (my M3 went away after a Safeway Markets 18 Wheeler hit my Bimmer making an illegal "U" turn (is that ironic or what?) so the driver could shop at WalMart. The C55 is going away so I can "break-in" a new MCS for my youngest daughter that's just getting her Learner's Permit.

Since I'm out of the car biz now and back in Outside Sales, I'm going to be putting some miles on and so getting a more efficient car, that's also too much fun to drive and combined with the eventual desire to provide my youngest with shared and then her own transportation makes so much sense, my bride of 22 years now supports us getting a Mini whereas she was previously not in favor ("too small, too rough). The "break-in" drive is going to last about 2 years or so until my daughter has amassed some money to take over the payments and operating costs. After that I'm not sure what I'll do but a JCW version seems a definite possibility.

I'm honored to be amongst such esteemed enthusiasts that have the good judgement and fine taste to enjoy a great car when they see and drive one. I'm looking to order for July production from my buddies at the place where I worked and keep it simple. If anyone has any thoughts to share on what are the key components to include on a Mini Cooper S (must be a Steptronic-I know let's not even go there) for a keen enthusiast that will turn it over to his daughter in a couple years but wants a kickin' car to drive in the meanwhile, please let me know your ideas.

Cheers!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 PM
magsal
Neutral
Just ordered my Clubman S

Hello everyone,

New to NAM.
Very excited as I just placed my order for Clubman S auto in a hot chocolate. I know the dealer said 6-8 weeks, but how long has everyone been averaging on their delivery time?

Old 06-14-2008, 06:48 AM
outlawmedic
1st Gear
I ordered my Dark Silver Clubman S on May 16 in Nashville. As of yesterday it was still sitting on a dock in Southhampton awaiting a ride to Charleston. I am expecting another 3 or so weeks till delivery once it gets on a boat.

Last edited by outlawmedic; 06-14-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Wrong town
Old 06-14-2008, 03:09 PM
BonnieM
Neutral
I am so excited to say I have just ordered a pepper white MCS ("Dash") and I would love to hear any advice or words of wisdom from current or former owners...anything I need to know??

Old 06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
kivett500
Neutral
I am now happy to say I am no longer reading the forum to decide what to buy. I used this website for motivation to become part of the club, and now I can say I have officially become part of the club, as of Tuesday this week. I am so proud to be a MCS owner, and I've been proudly initiated by the other owners out there who have driven towards or passed me, and waved! It truly is a lifestyle, and I've had fun in my first week of motoring. I am the proud owner of a brand new 2008 Laser Blue Mini Cooper S hardtop, black top, black bonnet stripes, web spokes, chrome exterior/interior, and piano black interior. I'm still learning the tips and tricks, but I'm having a blast, and it's everything I thought it would be. I'm the former owner of a GMC Yukon Denali, and I don't miss the fuel mileage a bit, and the MCS is so much more fun to drive, and I can say that nobody ever waved, just because I was driving a Denali, but they do now, since I'm driving a Mini. What a thrill! I look forward to more fun to come.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Liz in Virginia
Neutral
Just got my first Mini (and first brand spanking new car) in April. Can't wipe the grin from my face -- it is so much fun to drive! I can't believe you resisted for 40 years!

Motor on!
Liz in Virginia

Old 06-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Blont-007
Neutral
Hi from Holland.
I am driving a Mini Cooper S PW with Aero Package at the moment but i am waiting for my brand new Mini Cooper Sidewalk Astro Black with Panther Black Interior. They think is is in Holland last week of july, cant wait.

Last edited by Blont-007; 06-15-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:31 AM
vinnie-t
Neutral
Newby

I never thought that I could call myself a newby on anything concerning cars.
My MCa is at the dealership. I'm waiting on the call to take it home.
After 35 years of american muscle and full size I'm getting the long desired (35 years) british car. I did own Austin Healy Sprite 2nd gen (not a bug eye)
And thanks for building a great site.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:33 AM
BonnieM
Neutral
My excitement is building, , though my PW MCS order is still being processed; I have had a long and happy relationship with my 1999 4Runner ("George") but am really looking forward to beginning a new chapter of motoring with his new little sis "Dash!"---any thoughts on how long of a wait I have ahead of me? Or any other tips to share? Any and all would be greatly appreciated!!!--THX!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bonnie M, there's so much to tell you about them (all good things of course!) that it would take a whole website to tell you!!! -- OH WAIT! That's what NAM is for! You've made a very wise choice of vehicle. If you take a look at some of the stickies on this site, they'll tell you how you can track your baby. Good luck!

Happy Motoring!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:45 AM
BonnieM
Neutral
greetings

I know what you mean! Eventually you will KNOW just exactly what you'd like in your mini---just give it some time and it will become clear to you.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:02 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
And now, of course, you must use your waiting time wisely. Make multiple lists of names (of both genders, as well as a backup list of gender-non-specific names) for your new arrival. AND you must make lists of personalized license plates that you can get once it arrives.

There are MANY MANY threads here on both topics that will give you some great ideas. I've already started my list for my NEXT MINI -- after I win the lottery, I'm buying one of every color.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
programmer100
Neutral
Hey everyone!! It is my first time here and have been a MINI owner for about 4 weeks. I have a MINI Cooper S JCW 2008! It is such an awesome MINI. I have it all Astro Black with a blue trim inside.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 AM
smitty3
Neutral
I am new to this site, and sadly not a mini owner. I like the MINI coopers very much, and have driven both the Cooper and the Cooper S. I am becoming very interested in the classic mini as a daily driver. I am curious as their fuel consumption though, with the rising gas prices in the Midwestern USA.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 AM
Madison MS MINI
3rd Gear
ALL NEWBIES!

Originally Posted by programmer100
I have a MINI Cooper S JCW 2008! It is such an awesome MINI. I have it all Astro Black with a blue trim inside.
Be a proud parent - Post those pics
Originally Posted by smitty3
I am curious as their fuel consumption though, with the rising gas prices in the Midwestern USA.
Yo! Smitty3! Happy to help with those gas pump woes. There are several threads on this site dedicated to mpg for each MC model. Plan on being board and getting good gas mileage, then don't buy a MINI. Although we aren't the sippiest car on the road we are the zippiest. And that is worth the couple of dollars difference at the pump.

PLUS, Look at this glorious family you get to join!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
explorecaves
Neutral
Figured I would post here rather than start a new topic. Newb here and I am looking into getting a 2007 or 2008 Mini S hardtop. Still researching and deciding. I have found lots of great information here at NAM and will continue to fill my head with even more "useless knowledge" according to my wife. In order to get into a Mini, I will have to trade in my 04 Mazda6i. But I believe it will be a trade for the better, especially since I will have to fight L.A. traffic for a couple more years.
Here's to a happy and friendly friendship in the future!
ExploreCaves

Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Minimana
Neutral
New Mini!

Just picked up my new Mini on Friday. Wasn't able to custom order, as my last car died unexpectedly and I didn't have 6-8 weeks to wait. But I had a couple of weeks off before teaching summer school, and was able to look at the list of incoming Minis at the dealer and pick the best of the lot. '08, Chili Red. Already put 400 miles on it. Going to be a challenge to not put too many miles on it this year!

Jason

Old 06-23-2008, 06:10 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Welcome to NAM and the MINIverse! If you check the forums, you can find local motoring clubs and even a "put your MINI on the map" type things - you're not alone in this craziness, and it helps when you have "support." Besides...local clubs usually know the MOST FUN routes to put those miles on... Happy Motoring!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
flydacoop
1st Gear
New to NAM

Hey all, I'm new to the NAM site I belonged to the local club here in the ATL but had to escape, too much politicking and not enough motoring. Anyway here I am with my 05 LY/W MCS loving every minute of it. The mods are about to begin, already ordered Dayton wire wheels for it and am going for the engine within the next week, new exhaust, CAI, pulley, chip, wires, plugs, lowering springs, etc.. CAN'T FREAKING WAIT!!!!!!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
crews
Neutral
New to the site and the Mini community. I just got mine one week ago today. It's a 2005, 19,000 miles, yellow (white bonnet strips), convertible S, 6 speed. It is a ton of fun to drive. My son is 4 and loves it. He thinks his Mom is pretty cool (I know it won't last long).

Old 06-24-2008, 04:23 PM
chowdah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by explorecaves
Newb here and I am looking into getting a 2007 or 2008 Mini S hardtop. Still researching and deciding. I have found lots of great information here at NAM and will continue to fill my head with even more "useless knowledge" according to my wife.
New or used? That is the question! I was considering used until I went to the Dealer and fell in love with the '09 JCW. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Welcome to NAM