1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to NAM and not an MC owner...yet

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 01:34 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
New to NAM and not an MC owner...yet

Greetings.

I've been lurking on NAM for a couple of months and this place is great for researching a possible purchase. Thanks to everybody here. I will be ordering a MINI at the end of January 2005. That timeframe is when a number of investments cash in for me. Depending on how much is left after paying taxes and other manditory grabs, I'll know if I'm getting a MC or an MCS.

The MINI Cooper is actually my second choice. My first choice would have been a Lotus Elise (when and if it makes it to Canada). However, it turns out it's way over my budget. Other cars I've looked at include the Subaru Impreza RS, Mazda 3GT, Mercedes SLK (used), Nissan Sentra SER SPec-V, and other reasonably affordable hot rodded commuter cars. Of all the cars in my price range, the MINI wins out.

My current car is a Pontiac Fiero with a V6 and manual transmission in it. I've had it for 20 years and those who bash the car have probably never driven a mid engined car. On the plus side, you probably never experienced Mr. Goodwrench servicing either. For a 20 year old car, it's held up very well. I hope when I do purchase a MINI, the MINI would last just as long. The MINI also had the same tossability as the Fiero, and for a car that's 20 years newer, I would expect the responses to be quicker and handling much sharper (which I'm happy to say it is).

Shopping for a MINI has been a treat. My wife has approved a MINI in either BRG or Black-eye purple with white bonnet stripes. I'm getting the cold weather package because in Vancouver, it rains 2 1/2 seasons of the year and snows maybe 2 days.

Anyways, I'm rambling. I look forward to joining in sharing experiences when I hunker down and actually go buy a MINI.

Anyways, I'm rambling.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Nicholasp27
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welcome!

and congrats on ur upcoming purchase...

i'd get rain-sensing wipers if it rains there...

Old 11-30-2004, 03:21 PM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Welcome to NAM, good decision, I hope you like it.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:14 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Kinda in the same boat. Just wating to get finances in order.

What year and model Fiero do you own. Our first car when we were married was a '84 Fiero 2M4 SE. They did not offer the V-6 untill '85 and never got the rear suspension right untill '88 when they killed the car. What got it killed was shoe honing the V-6 turbo from the Buic GNX into the car and started running the "I brake for Vettes" bumper stickers around the GM proving grounds!

Old 12-01-2004, 05:58 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Welcome! I'm not technically a MINI owner yet, either, because the one I have on order is still in transit to the dealer.

I think you made a great choice. I was giving serious consideration to the Elise, too, but I decided the MCS would be a really fun car for the money. And, in the meantime, my wife bought a '00 Miata so I can pretend that's an Elise. Sort of. I didn't realize the Elise is still not available in Canada. In the US, it has special permission to be sold here despite not meeting all the US standards. I was also considering the Impreza WRX Sti and the Evo 8. I think you made a particularly good choice in not going with the used SLK. The first-generation SLK (which I assume it would have been) always struck me as being more of a cruiser than a real sports car, though I think the current one qualifies. Certainly the AMG version does!

A guy I used to work with had one of the very last Fieros made, when they got everything right just before they killed it. It was a decent car. He also has a DeLorean. Guess he has a thing for out of production '80s US sports cars.

Keep us up to date on the MINI purchase. There are a lot of great people here who have been very helpful in guiding me.

Mark

Old 12-01-2004, 12:40 PM
beken
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Kinda in the same boat. Just wating to get finances in order.

What year and model Fiero do you own. Our first car when we were married was a '84 Fiero 2M4 SE. They did not offer the V-6 untill '85 and never got the rear suspension right untill '88 when they killed the car. What got it killed was shoe honing the V-6 turbo from the Buic GNX into the car and started running the "I brake for Vettes" bumper stickers around the GM proving grounds!
I have a 1985 SE 2M6. I ordered it in 1984 before GM even decided to sell a Fiero with the V6 in it so it was one of the first produced. It still remains in essentially stock condition so I'm kind of torn on whether to just get rid of the car (even though it is in excellent condition for a 20 year old car) or store it and maybe restore it in the future when it is eligible for collector plates. The suspension is a bit uneven front to rear but when it was new and the springs were still stiff, I would fathom it handled almost as well as the MINI does. But this isn't a Fiero forum, it's a MINI forum and I find the MINI fit and finish impeccable and the car is FUN! to drive.

Old 12-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Aquasar
6th Gear
Well I hope it works out that you can get your MINI. I waited 4 months then my 80 Volvo died so I got me a 04 MC. Gotta love the Mini.

Art

Old 12-01-2004, 01:59 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, beken! The Lotus Elise is an awesome car, but with $200+ oil changes, it actually belongs in the realm of exotics! I totally lust for one, but really....our MINIs are just about the best-handling cars on the road, have real back seats, and are reasonably priced!

I know you'll enjoy rambling around in whichever MINI model you choose! The cold weather package is great... you'll love those heated seats!

Clover

Old 12-01-2004, 02:11 PM
chollomo
4th Gear
have you seen this gt40 conversion for a feiro.. it is pretty sweet.. http://www.v8archie.com/ My brother and I have always love frieros (my fathered adn grandfatehr own a pontiac dealership up until the early 90's) I never owned one but always wanted to, I rember playing around in one in teh show room before I could drive. Good memories. On another note, if the solstice is as sweet as my dreams of it are, it might be the only thing to tear my coldl dead hands from a MINI, or at least a mini being my only car...

Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 PM
RustyPaint
2nd Gear
The solstice has me drooling a bit as well. But I hear it is about as big as a vet. If thats true, I maybe a little torn. An Elise would be great to have but I'll settle for a MINI . I'm still waiting for that "big break" before I can afford one .

Old 12-02-2004, 04:49 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RustyPaint
The solstice has me drooling a bit as well. But I hear it is about as big as a vet. If thats true, I maybe a little torn. An Elise would be great to have but I'll settle for a MINI . I'm still waiting for that "big break" before I can afford one .
Here's one of my shots of the Solstice show car from the North American International Auto show with people for size perspective. Definitely smaller than a Corvette, a bit bigger than a Miata.

Mark

Old 12-02-2004, 06:19 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
I've got a rather large **** I'd liek to see it have at least the width of a z4, the z3 and the honda s 2000 btoh were a little snug on the bum. and the s2000 has no tilt wheel my legs cramped up being too tall for the car. I love my MINI, I jsut hoep I can talk my wife into wanted a Solstice. she says she always wanted a convertable...

Old 12-02-2004, 01:40 PM
beken
6th Gear
I like GM cars but I'm totally disillusioned with their service and support of their products. From reading on this and other forums on the MINI, I am of the opinion that chances are I would be treated much better by a MINI dealer in regards to support and service for my MINI.

Old 12-02-2004, 02:02 PM
ep's fitz
2nd Gear
Congrats on your upcoming car purchase....no matter what you choose, have fun with it!!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 11:25 PM
lotsie
Banned
Hey beken,have fun here on NAM,and YOU WILL HAVE FUN WITH A MINI