1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researching Mini's, autocrosser, enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 08:53 PM
carl_aka_carlos
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Researching Mini's, autocrosser, enthusiast

Howdy! An interesting turn of events has led me searching for new car. I've always lusted after a Mini ever since they came out.

Right now I'm trying to gather first hand knowledge concerning recalls, reliability, cost of maintenance, autocross set-up, etc etc.

I'm interested in either a Mini Cooper or a LSD equipped '05 Cooper S.

:smile:

ps. I eat, sleep, and breath autocross, but my alter ego (college student) has kept me away from NT's and ProSolos last season, I made some appereances during the 2003 season in a DS ITR, which is also the other car I'm considering)

Carl

Old 12-01-2004, 06:34 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by carl_aka_carlos

Right now I'm trying to gather first hand knowledge concerning recalls, reliability, cost of maintenance, autocross set-up, etc etc.

I'm interested in either a Mini Cooper or a LSD equipped '05 Cooper S.

Carl
Carl,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.
If you like autocross then the MINI is worth a look.
The MC is used primarily in SCCA solo II H-stock class and the MCS in solo II G-stock class. Adding a reduction pulley puts the MCS into Solo II street mod class. In stock class competition is where the MINI shines.

Check out the Racing and competition forums
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...daysprune=&f=7

Recalls?- search for the few various recalls. Nothing too large so far mostly earlier models affected.
Reliability- while a few MINIs do have troubles (see beneath the bonnet forum) most are quite reliable and used for daily driving even when highly modded. Some MINIs have stumbling, bogging, yo-yo (jerkiness), or stalling.
Cost of maintenance- For the first three years MINI covers standard maintenance. Many of us change oil more frequently and replace brake shoes or other worn items as needed. The cost is not excessive.
Autocross setup? Depends on which event- Solo II? and which class- stock?
For details see H-stock or G-stock forums under racing or the Solo II forum.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Nicholasp27
2nd Gear
a mini is a street-legal go-kart...u'll LOVE it for autoxing

and the lsd manual 05 S is going to kick some serious butt in the autoxing circuit...

Old 12-01-2004, 08:04 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I've had a fair bit of seat time in a Type-R, and the Mini is not as capable as that car is for autocross.

However, there are advantages to Mini ownership. Insurance is pretty cheap, fuel economy is good, and they have a very endearing quality to them - aka, they're just plain fun to drive.

I've had my mini since May, and it's been a lot of fun, and so far, I haven't had a single problem with it. I ordered mine basically for autocross, all I have is sport seats, multi function steering wheel, and sport suspension plus. It came out to about $18.5k (metallic paint was an extra 500 bucks, but I don't think they charge for it anymore).

The Mini is similar to the Type-R in that it is almost "set up" from the factory. Slap some sticky tires on it, and start winning big events (if you can drive well enough, which I cannot). There aren't many cars like that.

Anyhow, you'll have to decide if you want a Mini or an R. It's a tough call

Old 12-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Nicholasp27
2nd Gear
ur comparing the MINI not the MINI S to the type-R?

Old 12-01-2004, 06:27 PM
carl_aka_carlos
1st Gear
well, I too have had some seat time in an ITR (5th place DS, 2003 Solo2 Nationals)

two things attract me to the Cooper S vs the ITR:

1) It's ready to compete nationally right off the showroom floor. Align it, throw some hoosiers on and you're ready to go.

2) It's got a warranty, and it's not quite the theft target that the ITR is.

Even if the 05 Cooper S goes to DS I think it can compete with the ITR, and there are others that agree with me.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:54 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
If you don't have a garage to keep a Type-R in, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. The Mini seems to be of thankfully little interest to theives. My Integra GSR was stolen twice, and I sold it after the 2nd incident.

Whether or not the LSD Mini will be a DS runner or not, I have no idea. I'll defer that one to the experts. I will say, though, that the car will still lack camber, which doesn't bode well for it's chances. The improved corner exit traction from the LSD can only help, though.

But hey, buy a base model car like mine and don't worry so much about wheel spin

Old 12-05-2004, 04:41 PM
OH/S
Neutral
Plain stock '02S very quick in
G Stock class. But the Imprezas
are running in PAX here.
Plan on purchase of wheels
and tires. The run flats are
BRICKS and the wheels are
heavy. Otherwise LOTS of fun.