1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Italy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner

I just wanted to say "Hi" as I am a new member of the club. I ordered my Mini Cooper S while I was in Italy and will be able to pick up when it comes into the port in Houston in mid January. I am a first time Mini owner and I was wondering if anyone would like to give me their opinion on the positives and negatives of owning a Mini...

Italy

Old 12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Welcome to NAM and the wonderful, intoxicating, addictive, sensational, fabulous, hair-raising, motoring world of MINI!!!

Negatives? No such thing!!!!

Once you get behind the wheel you will have a permanent grin from ear to ear

You will never realize the full potential of the car until you get behind the wheel and try. Every day the little bugger will amaze you!

Enjoy and keep us posted!

Chris

Old 12-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
There are two negatives about MINI ownership.
You have to spend time away from the MINI:

1) sleeping -unless you sleep IN the MINI (not good for your social life)
2) working

Old 12-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Italy
Neutral
05 John Cooper Works Package

I am thinking about adding the John Cooper Works Package to my 05 MCS. Is it worth the $4,400 is costs?

Italy

Old 12-12-2004, 07:45 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
I am not sure it is worth it necessarily. From what I have read here on the forum you can get the same performance (or better) for less money.

I'm no expert though. If you wanted you add the pulley and intake like I mentioned, a water to air intercooler and a new exhaust and you are probably out only $3000 and get better gains.

You may want to talk with some of the other guys who have done the heavy mods and know. I think there may even be a few guys who have had the JCW kit and then switched to all mods instead but I could be dreaming as usual.

Cheers

Chris

Old 12-12-2004, 07:55 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Welcome,

I am sure you will love your MINI.

Instead of the JCW kit I went with aftermarket and spent less for the same things, basically, except the head which I did not change.

Earl

Old 12-12-2004, 09:48 PM
Guysdaman
1st Gear
The JCW package is kinda touchy to alot of people...If you go for it you are getting a new exhaust, new intake, new supercharger, and ported & polished head, 2 more fuel injectors, and new ECU remapping and it DOES NOT void your factory warranty.

Now you can go for all of these upgrades and get the same performance for much less cheaper but, most times it does invalidate the factory warranty.

So for someone buying a brand new MCS then the JCW kit looks appealing.
For someone that has bought a used one or has one with no mods at the end of its warranty then aftermarket upgrades would look more attractive.

It basically boils down to what you want and can afford.

Good luck on your upcoming purchase and have fun driving your new MINI!

Cheers,
Guy

Old 09-10-2005, 04:13 AM
Cecil Davis
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Italy
I am thinking about adding the John Cooper Works Package to my 05 MCS. Is it worth the $4,400 is costs?

Italy
Italy,

Yes, to answer your auestion. I just orderd my 2006 MCS (+) all the factory install JCW option packages available, e.g., engine tuning kit, JCW Suspension, 18 Wheels with Preformance Tires, Big Breaks, and Limited Slip Dif. The engine tuning kit bumps the hp up to about 207 hp (210 PS) so I'm sure it'll be a screemer. Now, I could have saved a little ($$$$$) if I didn't order the 18" Wheel Option ($2,200.00), but what the hey !

What made it easy for me to order the JCW options was the base cost differences between the Mini S Convertible (MCSC) and the Mini S (MCS). The Vert was over $5G's more than the Coupe in base price alone, so I applied that to the JCW options instead.

So, if (MORE) hp is what you're about then I would say "YES" the JCW packages are worth it. The MCS by it's self is a "Screemer". It's what ever makes you heart beat fast I guess. . . .

By the way, this is my first Mini also. I own a 1999 C5 Corvette (modified) and get to drive it here on the Germany Autobahns and it's a blast. I'm looking forward to doing the same with me new MCS JCW when it arrives (secheduled for the end of October).

I know this was a long thread, and maybe a little one sided for the JWC, but I'm as excited about getting my new MCS as a kid waiting for Christmas.

Good luck and happy Mini-ing. . .

Cecil
Heidelberg, Germany
Hometown: Ft Laurdale, Florida
Born: Alexandria, Virginia

Old 09-10-2005, 09:34 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecil Davis
Italy,

Yes, to answer your auestion. I just orderd my 2006 MCS (+) all the factory install JCW option packages available, e.g., engine tuning kit, JCW Suspension, 18 Wheels with Preformance Tires, Big Breaks, and Limited Slip Dif. The engine tuning kit bumps the hp up to about 207 hp (210 PS) so I'm sure it'll be a screemer. Now, I could have saved a little ($$$$$) if I didn't order the 18" Wheel Option ($2,200.00), but what the hey !

You know I am kinda jealous about this....

Unfortunetly I couldn't afford the JCW at this time, so I will have to wait for now.