1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nigel is dead! Victim of “death rattle”

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Cdmowry
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigel is dead! Victim of “death rattle”

Greetings!
2010, R56, N14, ~65k miles, hardtop S. Racing green, white stripes/top, british flag mirrors (hence my Daughter naming it Nigel). Few weeks ago started hearing what I now know is the infamous “death rattle” - thought I knocked a heat-shield loose on a pothole or something. Nigel died in the driveway. Had it towed to shop - they boroscoped it and saw remnants of timing tensioner and valves in un-coordinated positions (i.e. prob. Bent).

only put about 8-10k miles on it this year. New oil at purchase, synthetic change in summer.

Independent shop wants ~$5k to try and repair head/valves and chain or ~$9.5k to put in ‘new’ engine (pulled from other same age wreck but warrantied), but the 5k is not knowing how bad damage really is to all parts.....likely to go up.

mostly city driving but a couple fun road trips, was really enjoying time with Nigel, but now pondering NPR donation cause new engine doubles the cost to unaffordable levels. Used dealer even did recall search but didn’t find class action info.

spread the word - don’t drive with the “death rattle” - park it and get it fixed!!!

fear is that ‘another’ engine will just have same issue

comments from any survivors of the same issue are welcome!
saw on another forum original class action is over and done, but lots of people still having this issue.
wishing i still had the ‘beater’ cherokee still.....
thanks,
curt

Old 12-11-2019, 11:50 PM
Scudder44
4th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
2010, I would make that a home project if you have a garage/tools otherwise it is scrap. It is madness that BMW fit a bicycle chain to a high temperature, high rev engine!

Old 12-12-2019, 05:47 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
I agree with Scudder44 minus the scrapping lol...9 out 10 minis I buy from the auction have this/similar issue. It is an easy fix for the trained hands but somewhat involved otherwise. Just to put things into prospective, if you were to fix it, assuming only the valves were bent, the parts will run around $500, give or take. the labor depending on the shop is $100-$175/hr. I had two members ship me their minis, one from MD and another from IL. and the total was close to 2500 I think with initial tow to PA.

Anywho, I think there are few things you could do at home to at least verify some things. For example, remove the valve cover and look at the chain and cams. Take pix and post them here for us to further gauge the problem. Look up newtis.info for how to remove the valve cover and anything else.