1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I am finally going to do it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 04:30 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 414 Posts
I purchased my mini 11/31. I have right around 3 grand in mine. 2000 is clutch, coolant tank, and tires which I knew I was going to have to replace clutch and tires eventually. Other grand is OCC, plugged off pvc on n14, turbo muffler delete, intercooler, forge noise maker delete, aFe drop in, plugs, DV spacer, and Alta boost spring.Drove from Cincinnati to Pigeon Forge then Ran it on the dragon last 2 weekends no issues other than burning a qt of Motul, which I will probably not use again. 1000% worth every penny and busted knuckle. We need to have a mod party in the Nati and have Mario as our special guest, I could use a tune.

The following users liked this post:
superheavydeathmetal (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 06:03 PM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
How was that mc40. Might have been one I was going to look at.
Not bad at all! It has quite a bit of zip and pep! It feels solid and seems to run great! Although, it does make a noise. I don't think it's coming from the engine, but my memory is failing me. I would have to hear it again. It is in great shape, inside and out! The seller is a very nice guy and has lots of documentation to go with the car.
I purchased my mini 11/31. I have right around 3 grand in mine. 2000 is clutch, coolant tank, and tires which I knew I was going to have to replace clutch and tires eventually. Other grand is OCC, plugged off pvc on n14, turbo muffler delete, intercooler, forge noise maker delete, aFe drop in, plugs, DV spacer, and Alta boost spring.Drove from Cincinnati to Pigeon Forge then Ran it on the dragon last 2 weekends no issues other than burning a qt of Motul, which I will probably not use again. 1000% worth every penny and busted knuckle. We need to have a mod party in the Nati and have Mario as our special guest, I could use a tune.
That would be awesome! I am excited to get mine, whenever I finally pull the trigger!

I am going to look at a convertible tomorrow. I don't know how to feel about that. I have never had a convertible car before.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Good luck, you will find the right fit. I’m willing to help with any mods as well once you get there, I love turning a wrench.

superheavydeathmetal (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:20 AM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Good luck, you will find the right fit. I’m willing to help with any mods as well once you get there, I love turning a wrench.
That is truly generous of you to offer! I certainly wouldn't mind putting a few more horses under the hood.

I am officially a MINI owner! I have the title in my name, and I am waiting to get it plated!

2005 R52 in almost perfect shape with 40,030 miles for $10,000. It was a pretty good deal, according to my homework. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!

Andy_S (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:41 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Originally Posted by superheavydeathmetal
That is truly generous of you to offer! I certainly wouldn't mind putting a few more horses under the hood.

I am officially a MINI owner! I have the title in my name, and I am waiting to get it plated!

2005 R52 in almost perfect shape with 40,030 miles for $10,000. It was a pretty good deal, according to my homework. All thoughts and opinions are welcome!
hell yeah nice ride. I’m definitely down to help you mod.! What part of the nati are you in?

superheavydeathmetal (03-15-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Looks clean, I want to see more pictures!

Old 03-14-2020, 04:47 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
It been a few days, how do you like being a mini owner?

Old 03-15-2020, 04:56 PM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Firstly, I would like to say how much I appreciate how much attention this thread has gotten, and how so many have taken the time to provide input and advice. This community is a very welcoming crowd!

hell yeah nice ride. I’m definitely down to help you mod.! What part of the nati are you in?
West Chester (a.k.a. where the IKEA is), specifically the Beckett Ridge area.

Originally Posted by Derek86
Looks clean, I want to see more pictures!
Absolutely! I need to get some pictures of the interior and under the hood, but here is what I have so far:
https://imgur.com/a/sjAsCrA

It been a few days, how do you like being a mini owner?
Guys, I LOVE this car. I love the feel of the seat, I love the feel of the ride, I love the tiny stature, I love how it jumps to 3000rpm as soon as I touch the gas as if it hates running below that, and, of course, I love the whistle of the supercharger!

Old 03-15-2020, 05:00 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Just far enough away the drive would be fun. Yeah should have told ya they don’t like being shift under 3000.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:00 AM
TwoBlueCars
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice car! Drive it hard, that supercharger whine is so addictive!

My advice is to find a BMW/Mini shop that you like and trust and that really knows the cars - not that you'll be at the shop all the time, but it seems like I could have saved myself some headaches (and money) on some "while you're in there" type of fixes. If/when you have a repair that involves the front subframe, there are a few things that can be done all together.

My shifts were feeling a little sloppy, and new motor and trans mounts made a world of difference. Take a look at your rubber bushings (motor & trans mounts, lower control arm, struts) since they wear out with age as much as with mileage.

Other stuff that I've had go wrong is just typical 15-year-old car stuff that could happen to any car: alternator, coolant pipes and expansion tank, torn CV boot. The thermostat and/or t-stat housing seem to be short lived - I don't know if that's a BMW thing, but getting to it for replacement isn't the easiest thing. If you notice your coolant level slowly dropping, that's a good place to look.

I absolutely love my R53, it's impossible not to smile when you're driving the crap out of it and still (mostly) within the legal speed limit. I now have a list of "favorite exit ramps" Drive it, enjoy it, take it to an autocross and try to find the limits! My friend with a GTI said "Damn, I didn't know a FWD car could rotate like that," and that was before the rear sway bar!

superheavydeathmetal (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 06:10 PM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TwoBlueCars
Nice car! Drive it hard, that supercharger whine is so addictive!
Yes! I love that sound! I noticed the engine itself seems pretty quiet. Much more quiet than my Mazda at 4000+ rpm.
My advice is to find a BMW/Mini shop that you like and trust and that really knows the cars - not that you'll be at the shop all the time, but it seems like I could have saved myself some headaches (and money) on some "while you're in there" type of fixes. If/when you have a repair that involves the front subframe, there are a few things that can be done all together.

My shifts were feeling a little sloppy, and new motor and trans mounts made a world of difference. Take a look at your rubber bushings (motor & trans mounts, lower control arm, struts) since they wear out with age as much as with mileage.
Will do! I need to figure out how to do that, but I will do some digging!
Other stuff that I've had go wrong is just typical 15-year-old car stuff that could happen to any car: alternator, coolant pipes and expansion tank, torn CV boot. The thermostat and/or t-stat housing seem to be short lived - I don't know if that's a BMW thing, but getting to it for replacement isn't the easiest thing. If you notice your coolant level slowly dropping, that's a good place to look.
Thanks! I will keep that in mind!
I absolutely love my R53, it's impossible not to smile when you're driving the crap out of it and still (mostly) within the legal speed limit. I now have a list of "favorite exit ramps" Drive it, enjoy it, take it to an autocross and try to find the limits! My friend with a GTI said "Damn, I didn't know a FWD car could rotate like that," and that was before the rear sway bar!
Haha! Yep! I definitely have a few turns where I like to get back on the gas a little early!

Old 03-24-2020, 06:16 PM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Just far enough away the drive would be fun. Yeah should have told ya they don’t like being shift under 3000.
Yeah. Also, I noticed that to shift into gear smoothly, the engine rpm has to be at or above where it matches the current speed of the car for that gear. I need to get used to doing that. I haven't had to get used to that because my Mazda doesn't mind "bringing the engine up to the speed of the car", if that makes sense.

In any car, I do always rev-match as well as I can.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:16 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
I have a guy that I trust to work on my mini, but he is over here in Anderson, but of a drive for you. I called every shop here and he was cheaper than everyone, but they were all bmw/mini specific. My guy is a small shop, works on all makes and models.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:18 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
No 1st to 2nd at anything under 3000 in mine, doesn’t like it at all.