1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I am finally going to do it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 07:28 PM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I am finally going to do it!

Hi, all!
My name is Conley, and I am hailing from Cincinnati.

I have loved Mini Coopers for the last 14 years, pretty much since they first showed up in the US, but I have yet to actually take the plunge to get one. There have been several times over those years where my desire peaked and thought I would get one, but never did.

Now, I think I am actually going to do it. I just can't suppress it any longer! Haha!

Anyway, I have decided that I would like an R53 (although I wish they had variable valve lift), so I am pursuing the market, trying to be patient, but I am really hoping to pull the trigger soon!

Later!

Old 03-05-2020, 05:50 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Do your research, the R53s are getting to a point where they need more maintenance to keep them on the road. I don't feel like the current prices reflect that, yet. They can and will nickle and dime you to death if you're not ready for it. They are a fun car to drive, but be aware it is a BMW product.

Buy a 2005 or 2006.

The following users liked this post:
superheavydeathmetal (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 06:14 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by superheavydeathmetal
Hi, all!
My name is Conley, and I am hailing from Cincinnati.

I have loved Mini Coopers for the last 14 years, pretty much since they first showed up in the US, but I have yet to actually take the plunge to get one. There have been several times over those years where my desire peaked and thought I would get one, but never did.

Now, I think I am actually going to do it. I just can't suppress it any longer! Haha!

Anyway, I have decided that I would like an R53 (although I wish they had variable valve lift), so I am pursuing the market, trying to be patient, but I am really hoping to pull the trigger soon!

Later!
After 14 years of lusting for a Mini, you are now trying to be patient? Lol...The patient train has left the station a long time ago..
And why bother with getting the oldest and crappiest one? Get a newer one (even better get a brand new one) and enjoy a better car.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:16 AM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Derek86
Do your research, the R53s are getting to a point where they need more maintenance to keep them on the road. I don't feel like the current prices reflect that, yet. They can and will nickle and dime you to death if you're not ready for it. They are a fun car to drive, but be aware it is a BMW product.

Buy a 2005 or 2006.
I really appreciate your input! Yes, I am definitely looking to get an 05 or 06. But, I am in no way a car guy, so I would not be doing any work myself. It would be done professionally. Do you think I would be better off getting newer model with lower mileage? I found a 2011 with less than 27k (+1 for valvetronic!). The asking price is $13,000, which seems high, but considering how low the mileage is, maybe it's not too bad.

Last edited by superheavydeathmetal; 03-05-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:29 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Received 546 Likes on 414 Posts
I really appreciate your input! Yes, I am definitely looking to get an 05 or 06. But, I am in no way a car guy, so I would not be doing any work myself. It would be done professionally. Do you think I would be better off getting newer model with lower mileage? I found a 2011 with less than 27k (+1 for valvetronic!). Asking price is $13,000.
hello and welcome. I live over in Anderson, work off of wards corner so if your over on the east side. I’ve been wrenching on my mini by myself until it got to the clutch, I tapped there. If your in a mini you’ll get a wave coming from me in this needy b!tch below.

I get to go down again this weekend to the Dragon 😎 This was from last weekend.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:43 AM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by michaelo
After 14 years of lusting for a Mini, you are now trying to be patient? Lol...The patient train has left the station a long time ago..
And why bother with getting the oldest and crappiest one? Get a newer one (even better get a brand new one) and enjoy a better car.
Trying and failing, haha. I was looking at the older models becuase they seem to have the more raw and sprightly feel, and I like the appearance better. Plus, being older, they are cheaper (I understand that would balance to a great degree with maintenance), which is good because this is a toy/experiment while I build knowledge.

I would consider getting an N18, though. I heard they have more power.

Thanks!

Old 03-05-2020, 06:45 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
I’m not complaining any with my n14 in the power department.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Katgirl
3rd Gear
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I really appreciate your input! Yes, I am definitely looking to get an 05 or 06. But, I am in no way a car guy, so I would not be doing any work myself. It would be done professionally. Do you think I would be better off getting newer model with lower mileage? I found a 2011 with less than 27k (+1 for valvetronic!). The asking price is $13,000, which seems high, but considering how low the mileage is, maybe it's not too bad.
That does seem high, depending upon which model it is. I just bought a 2015, with 32,000 miles on it, for 14,000, but mine has the base engine. The newer you can afford, the less chance of it needing a lot of work. Mine has been perfect. Good luck with your search.

Kat

Old 03-06-2020, 05:46 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
R56s have self destructing engines but the R53 is the crappiest MINI. Alright, noted.

You should definitely get a brand new one and not let someone else take the depreciation hit. Of course I'm glad people like this exist so I can buy their used cars and not be the one to lose that money.

I would never recommend someone who doesn't turn wrenches to buy an older car, especially from an unreliable brand like MINI. Either learn or stick to generic econoboxes. Sorry to be blunt about that, but not sorry. I'm not sure why you're hung up on variable valve timing, but I would not purchase a second generation MINI. Somewhat personal preference, but they don't have a great track record with engine reliability.

That car seems pricey. I don't follow the second generation market as closely but that sounds like the dealer thinks they have a cherry and marked it up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Derek86:
Andy_S (03-06-2020), superheavydeathmetal (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:21 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
R56s have self destructing engines but the R53 is the crappiest MINI. Alright, noted.

You should definitely get a brand new one and not let someone else take the depreciation hit. Of course I'm glad people like this exist so I can buy their used cars and not be the one to lose that money.

I would never recommend someone who doesn't turn wrenches to buy an older car, especially from an unreliable brand like MINI. Either learn or stick to generic econoboxes. Sorry to be blunt about that, but not sorry. I'm not sure why you're hung up on variable valve timing, but I would not purchase a second generation MINI. Somewhat personal preference, but they don't have a great track record with engine reliability.
I agree with these 100%. I have an 09 clubman s with 142000 on her. I have been turning some wrench’s and busting some knuckles, I love doing it, and I’m hooked. N14 burns oil, I don’t care, I check it every time I fill up, it’s **** I know but I have had this car for 3 full months and i know how she is supposed to run, drive, sound, etc. I’m more than willing to meet up sometime, pop the hood, let you take her for a spin.

superheavydeathmetal (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:28 AM
MiniManAdam
6th Gear
Received 615 Likes on 485 Posts
Well, my mini is modded and has 205,000 miles and has given me 0 issues since purchasing it 5 months ago. The ONLY thing I've had to replace was a front 02 sensor. I LOVE the car and this is coming from owning v8 camaros and AMG's. The mini is an absolute blast to drive and that's the only way to describe it. It is true when they say what they do about the feel of this car . I have owned a few small fast cars before but they just didn't compare to the driving experience of a mini. Then this forum ? This forum has so good people and I've found that to be the case to around me with other mini owners and even the dealer . just seems like they tend to attract good genuine people to them . hope you get one and good luck searching . there's plenty out there for all price range and condition . take your time and you will be able to find exactly what suites your need .
I would personally look to buy one kind of modded as it shows it's been owned by someone who knows something about the car and has an appreciation for it.
stay away from 5spd . stay away from the non s models in general honestly and stay away from the auto and you will be fine . I find 90% of the reliability problems people complain about on the minis come from those .

Last edited by MiniManAdam; 03-06-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:50 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

The experience of being the first person to own and drive a brand new car with a full warranty is worth the price of admission. You call it a 'depreciation hit', I call it an 'appreciation experience'.
Life is too short to deprive yourself as far as I am concerned.

OP - pay a visit to the Mini dealer and test out a brand new 3 cylinder Mini. I guarantee you will love it.

Old 03-06-2020, 12:37 PM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Sorry to be blunt about that, but not sorry. I'm not sure why you're hung up on variable valve timing, but I would not purchase a second generation MINI. Somewhat personal preference, but they don't have a great track record with engine reliability.

That car seems pricey. I don't follow the second generation market as closely but that sounds like the dealer thinks they have a cherry and marked it up.
I appreciate you being direct and honest. Variable valve timing isn't a must-have or anything, I just think it's cool because of all of the benefits it provides.

Originally Posted by Jason Cornelius
I agree with these 100%. I have an 09 clubman s with 142000 on her. I have been turning some wrench’s and busting some knuckles, I love doing it, and I’m hooked. N14 burns oil, I don’t care, I check it every time I fill up, it’s **** I know but I have had this car for 3 full months and i know how she is supposed to run, drive, sound, etc. I’m more than willing to meet up sometime, pop the hood, let you take her for a spin.
Thanks, man! I think it's cool that there are other Cincinnati peoples here. I actually passed two Coopers on the way to a dealer today to do a test drive.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:32 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
super -

I found my LOW mile 05 S (JCW) a little over a year ago.
I DID pay for it, $10,000, but it's very...low miles. Plus it's got a few additional sport goodies on it, that I assume I paid for..!
I've since added adjustable camber apparatus (frt & rr) so I can adjust the camber, (which does help overall driving) for better control in more spirited driving.

I don't have any idea about the later cars, but the Gen 1 cars with good suspensions are really fun to drive.
Keep this in the back of your head, when you get a Mini, be sure to turn off the "traction control"...before you leave your driveway. It's a LOT more fun to drive, and the brakes will last longer too.

Mike

Old 03-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
Old 03-06-2020, 02:20 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 566 Likes on 458 Posts
As an example, I paid $4,000 for a 2004 MC40 with 125,000 miles. That's a little on the high end for an '04 but only because it's a limited edition (826/1000) and needed work. I've put another $3,000 ($3,500 counting the additional tools I needed) into it rebuilding the suspension, refinishing wheels, tires, sound deadening and a few mods (plus a tune). However, I do ALL the work myself which has saved me a ton of money. I agree with you that they're the better looking MINI (I'm obviously biased) but would think twice were I you about buying an R53 if you don't do the work yourself. Professional maintenance costs on Minis are insane because they're made by BMW and you're paying BMW repair prices.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:43 PM
wjones14
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a 2003 R50 5-speed from July 2013 until Nov 2019. Paid $5000 for it (84K miles). Replaced it with a 2015 F56 6-speed last Nov. The F56 was $12,500 (53K miles). Both cars were Pepper White, and some friends and family members didn't even realize I replaced the R50 when I did they look so much alike. Yes, the F56 has grown about 10 inches and a few hundred pounds, but by any measure it is still a small car. That said, they drive totally differently! The R50 felt much smaller and lower, and was noisier and more raw. The F56 feels like a larger luxury car in comparison. Some of the darty steering feel is gone in the F56, but the steering is still quick compared to most cars. The biggest difference for me is that the R50 always felt like it was flying due to the smaller size and higher engine rpms. The F56 is much quicker on paper, but it doesn't seem any faster, and every time I look at the speedometer I'm shocked how fast I'm actually going.

Bottom line - the R50 was a lot more fun to drive.

On the other hand, in 6 years I put $13,000 into the R50 in repairs and maintenance. Yes, you read that right - $13,000. Big ticket items were remanufactured cylinder head due to burnt valve (cylinder #3), clutch, exhaust, water pump, rusted e-brake cables, front control arm bushings, lower steering shaft, rear hatch hinges, and wheel bearings. My daughter had the car between 40,000 and 84,000 miles, when I bought it from her, and she had zero issues with it in her 5 years - other than a leaking radiator at 60,000 miles. I sold it with 115,000 miles.

I'm enjoying the F56 so far as a more luxurious and reliable daily driver, that still has some personality and is fun to drive. But the R50 was more fun when it was running.

Last edited by wjones14; 03-06-2020 at 05:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by wjones14:
insanitize (03-07-2020), superheavydeathmetal (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:55 PM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
Thanks, Jason! The first two are a bit newer than I am looking for. Although, if I was to open myself up to an R56, I would have way more options!
I actually met up and drove the third one last Wednesday. It has some sweet performance upgrades, and the supercharger sounded amazing! But it has several spots of physical damage, despite how good it looks in the pictures. The biggest problem, however, is that shifting into 4th was rough, like the gears would grind a bit while shifting into gear.
I am going to look at this one Sunday: https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...079561576.html

Originally Posted by cooper48
As an example, I paid $4,000 for a 2004 MC40 with 125,000 miles. That's a little on the high end for an '04 but only because it's a limited edition (826/1000) and needed work. I've put another $3,000 ($3,500 counting the additional tools I needed) into it rebuilding the suspension, refinishing wheels, tires, sound deadening and a few mods (plus a tune). However, I do ALL the work myself which has saved me a ton of money. I agree with you that they're the better looking MINI (I'm obviously biased) but would think twice were I you about buying an R53 if you don't do the work yourself. Professional maintenance costs on Minis are insane because they're made by BMW and you're paying BMW repair prices.
I appreciate the warning. I have a lead on one with extremely low miles, so I think I will take the chance. You only live once, right?

Originally Posted by wjones14
I had a 2003 R50 5-speed from July 2013 until Nov 2019. Paid $5000 for it (84K miles). Replaced it with a 2015 F56 6-speed last Nov. The F56 was $12,500 (53K miles). Both cars were Pepper White, and some friends and family members didn't even realize I replaced the R50 when I did they look so much alike. Yes, the F56 has grown about 10 inches and a few hundred pounds, but by any measure it is still a small car. That said, they drive totally differently! The R50 felt much smaller and lower, and was noisier and more raw. The F56 feels like a larger luxury car in comparison. Some of the darty steering feel is gone in the F56, but the steering is still quick compared to most cars. The biggest difference for me is that the R50 always felt like it was flying due to the smaller size and higher engine rpms. The F56 is much quicker on paper, but it doesn't seem any faster, and every time I look at the speedometer I'm shocked how fast I'm actually going.

Bottom line - the R50 was a lot more fun to drive.

On the other hand, in 6 years I put $13,000 into the R50 in repairs and maintenance. Yes, you read that right - $13,000. Big ticket items were remanufactured cylinder head due to burnt valve (cylinder #3), clutch, exhaust, water pump, rusted e-brake cables, front control arm bushings, lower steering shaft, rear hatch hinges, and wheel bearings. My daughter had the car between 40,000 and 84,000 miles, when I bought it from her, and she had zero issues with it in her 5 years - other than a leaking radiator at 60,000 miles. I sold it with 115,000 miles.

I'm enjoying the F56 so far as a more luxurious and reliable daily driver, that still has some personality and is fun to drive. But the R50 was more fun when it was running.
Thanks for the input! I would still have my rock-solid, trusty Mazda if I get in the mood for a smoother, quieter ride. : )

Last edited by superheavydeathmetal; 03-06-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:06 PM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
I am going to take a look at this one tomorrow morning:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace.../?ref=feed_rhc

Old 03-09-2020, 05:17 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
I am going to take a look at this one tomorrow morning:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace.../?ref=feed_rhc
I swear I've seen that car before. The two extra round pieces sticking out of the rear bumper are...weird. That's a pre-facelift car, for your reference.

The experience of being the first person to own and drive a brand new car with a full warranty is worth the price of admission. You call it a 'depreciation hit', I call it an 'appreciation experience'.
Life is too short to deprive yourself as far as I am concerned.
Like I said, I'm glad you exist. All a warranty is to me is a restriction for what I can do to the car.

Originally Posted by cooper48
Originally Posted by wjones14
I'm at about $6,000 to keep my 2006 R53 on the road. $2,000 of that was a clutch that I didn't do myself, but the rest is 95% parts costs with me doing the work myself. So yeah, this is what I was talking about in my first post.

Last edited by Derek86; 03-09-2020 at 05:41 AM.
superheavydeathmetal (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 05:34 AM
superheavydeathmetal
1st Gear
I swear I've seen that car before. The two extra round pieces sticking out of the rear bumper are...weird. That's a pre-facelift car, for your reference.
!! I missed that! Yeah, what the heck could those be?

What is a "pre-facelift" car?

Old 03-09-2020, 05:45 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
!! I missed that! Yeah, what the heck could those be?

What is a "pre-facelift" car?
Who knows. Could have been for a bike rack, camera mounts, flat towing something, or anything in between.

https://www.allmagautoparts.com/blog...-changes-guide
https://www.minitorque.com/threads/r...t-guide.29996/

There's more to read around the Internets.

There are better deals around. There was a 2006 with some nice mods and a good service history that was for sale in central PA for $4,500 last month. Mileage was comparable.

I'm starting to see first gen parts cars sitting now as the market value of the vehicle is lower than the owner's perceived value. I've put offers in on two that are local and they've been sitting over a month each.

Last edited by Derek86; 03-09-2020 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:40 AM
Jason Cornelius
6th Gear
How was that mc40. Might have been one I was going to look at.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:00 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
The two extra round pieces sticking out of the rear bumper are...weird.
The car has a MINI FINI Sports-Link ...

https://www.waymotorworks.com/sports-link.html

The following 2 users liked this post by MINIAC:
Derek86 (03-09-2020), superheavydeathmetal (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 09:16 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIAC
The car has a MINI FINI Sports-Link ...

https://www.waymotorworks.com/sports-link.html
Learn something new every day. Thanks man. Still weird looking though.

Quick Reply: I think I am finally going to do it!