1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing my mind about buying a MCSS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 10:25 AM
Craig_N
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered a Mini Cooper S hard top. I already have, in my humble opinion, the quintessential "Roadster" - a 1994 Mazda Miata A-Package.[font='Times New Roman']I’ve never driven a MC Convertible, so I’ll hold off on judging them, but I would not call one a “Sports Car” nor “Roadster”, by any stretch of the imagination.[/font]

Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Revwillie
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL...rattles and squeaks...try driving a 12 year old saturn.

When my wife and I test drove an '05 MCSc, she thought there was something wrong with it because the exhaust was making that burbling sound as the RPMs dropped off. I was loving it.

But yeah, if you are used to driving a quiet car, you don't want sporty suspension or run-flat tires for sure.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:23 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell me it's gonna be alright...

OK, everyone is officially scaring me now...

My MC is on the boat right now, and all this talk about having to ignore noise is not reassuring. All cars have SOMETHING... right?

So just tell me it's not too bad so I'll be able to sleep until she (coop' fourre') gets here...

Oh, and yes, I like tight suspension and revving engines!!!!

Old 01-10-2005, 07:33 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been around the cars for about a year now

Only reassurance I can offer is that I hear and read about MC rattles and squeaks a lot less than those on the MCS. However, I don't think anyone should be surprised about dash squeaks and rattles since technically this is build year 1 of the new 3-piece dash design. Took 'em a couple years to get the previous one right Jimbo

Old 01-10-2005, 07:52 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
My new MCS definitely has some small buzzes, intermitent squeaks, and there could have been a rattle, too.

I'm really not bothered by any of it, and I know that some of it has to do with the tires. Nothing I heard (drove it home tonight) could be heard over the radio.

mb

Old 01-10-2005, 08:34 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
OK, everyone is officially scaring me now...

My MC is on the boat right now, and all this talk about having to ignore noise is not reassuring. All cars have SOMETHING... right?

So just tell me it's not too bad so I'll be able to sleep until she (coop' fourre') gets here...

Oh, and yes, I like tight suspension and revving engines!!!!
It's absolutely not a problem in my 2-year old MC. IMHO many of the folks hanging around this forum are basically comparing their cars to perfection -- including me, but in other areas. The MINI is a lot of fun to drive and a great looker.

Old 01-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Avitor
3rd Gear
My '05 MCS makes substantially less noise than other sports cars that I've been in, Miatas, Alfas, etc.

Originally Posted by mini ako
Please don't tell me that Mini Convertible is a sports car in your book coz I don't.

A Sports is consider a rag top and only sits two and also a rear wheel drive in my book.
Your average dictionary would define a sports car as "a small, low automobile suitable for racing, with a high-powered engine designed for quick response, easy maneuverability, and high-speed driving" and some might qualify that with "usually 2-passenger" but that is by no means a requirement. And there is no law that says a sports car must be driven by its rear wheels or have an open top. What you've defined there is a roadster.

I'm watching "Sports Car Revolution" right now on SPEED Channel, and they're covering Kyle Herder's MINI Cooper S in their Dyno Truth or Dare segment (175hp at the wheels) and it's not the first time I've seen a MINI on that show. In addition, my new Grassroots Motorsports came in the mail today and a cursory search shows that a MINI is pictured or mentioned on pages 10, 12, 24, 27, 84, 113, 115, 131, 136, 141, 166, 182, 187, and don't miss the article on 194. That was just from a quick thumbing through, I probably missed a few. You still think it's not a sports car? I never had a doubt.

As for the noise these things make, you can't get into a MINI expecting to have a Lexus or Toyota Camry like ride. The marketing department isn't blowing smoke in your ear when they say "Go-cart-like ride." These things are infact sports cars, expect them to behave as such and, for goodness sake, drive them as such!

Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
bring the noise!

With 25 K miles on our '03 Cooper S so far, the only consistently reproducible rattle is one in the center of the dash. It occurs only at extremely low outdoor temps (below 15F.) A hand touched to the seam at the center of the dash top just rearward of the sun load sensor quiets it, so I know right where to put the velcro tape if I ever bother to try to fix it. I probably won't though. It's British. As a multi-marque (MG) Anglomobilia owner, that means to me that it's supposed to rattle. The car would be lacking something without it. :smile:

All the little noises are a gentle reminder from the car of what the Loud Pedal is for. After the engine warms up, I seldom hear much of anything over the supercharger and the (still stock) exhaust.

Dunno if I'll ever get my $ worth out of the HK- I hardly ever turn the stereo on.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:57 PM
ylwjkt
3rd Gear
My 03 MCS is rock-solid. Had a rattle once, but took the screwdriver
out of the glovebox!

Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 AM
mini ako
1st Gear
I didn't even know about the rattles and squeeks til you guys posted it all... We'll sounds like the car would have it, so either but it or don't. We'll I'm looking into purchasing one if this seller on ebay would let me purchase in person. 2005 MCSC Silver with all the bells and whistles.

We'll see.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:13 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
If you are worried about noise other than the radio go for a standard MC. Chopping off the roof makes any chassis have cowel shake, creaks, and groans. Plus motoring with the top down adds tons of wind noise and other sounds. No convertable top can block sound like a metal roof and dynomat! That Supercharger on the MCSC makes quite a bit of noise, and horsepower!

Old 01-11-2005, 11:20 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Oh boy, what a subject, car rattles. I've never had a car that was rattle free, and my '05 MINI is no exception. I have several rattles, and after 4 months...I've "fixed" about 1 1/2 of them. I'm particularly concerned about speaker bass buzz problems I've been having, and... Geez, I still like the car very much, so I shouldn't complain much. But...damn, those MINI dealership shops sure can irritating! (I laugh only because I would otherwise cry...or get violently angry.)

The fact that the MINI has a pretty tight suspension (regardless of suspension option) is one reason that rattles in this car get a little more pronounced sounding then in other cars. Avoid, or otherwise get rid of, those runflats (terrible tires anyway), and replace whatever factory rubber you get with better performing, quieter running, after market tires. If you choose wisely for your needs (I'm soon to be getting some 185/65-15 Yokohama Avid H4S's, and I have high hopes for them), that should help reduce the road vibrations that making stuff "buzz" more than it should.

Regardless, the MINI is rattle prone...at least as much as any average car, and probably more so...at least in my experience. People say here that the MINI is a great car for the money. I don't think any car is a great car for the money that's being charged these days. The MINI is a pretty neat little car, that is neither expensive, nor economical. Over time, you'll find you need to do a bit more to the MINI than you might with any other car you've had (in part, because the MINI is FAR from perfect), because it's just something you'll want to do to get the most out of your MINI. And, THAT will cost you money...which realistically means the car costs more than just it's sticker price...and so it's no bargain by any means.

But, MINI's are special. No doubt about it. There's nothing else quite like them. Everyone I know is always saying, "Man, what a cool car. I can't believe you're driving this thing to deliver pizzas in!" (Hey, it's my one and only car, and it's my one and only job. Nothing for it.) If you decide to go ahead and get your MINI, you'll likely have something of a love/hate relationship with it. If that's something that sounds like it's ok for you...then, hey man, go for it. Otherwise...there's lots of other nifty things to be driving around in, but most of them will still rattle a little...just not as much as a MINI.

Good luck with your decision. Make sure you buy from a good dealer...no matter what car you choose, even if it's a dealer far away from you. Check the forums for the most recommended dealerships, as I wish I had. (In other words, avoid buying from Niello MINI of Sacramento like the plague! )ve

P.S. If you think you'll get lucky, and get a MINI that just happens to be rattle free (as is sometimes reported here)...think again! It seems that only those that don't care much if a car rattles are the lucky few that get those MINI's, and the rest of us just have to make do with less.