1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a mini again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2022 | 11:33 AM
accel
|
2nd Gear
buying a mini again?

I used to own a second gen cooper S which after 6-7 years of ownership I sold with some great relieve. I did not like repairability, reliability, durability, etc. That mini was the only car that had to be towed to be repaired on several occasions. I do not mind to work on the car myself, but preferred to pay money rather than work on that mini because of the way it was designed. Also, not having a temperature gauge? Anyways....

Also, I somehow did not like 2nd gen design. My heart always belonged to the original mini and a 1st gen.

I'm carefully considering a possibility of getting a 1st gen mini now....

I'd like to ask for an advice from the community on what is it to maintain 1st gen with a balanced self/dealer repairs maintenance? Again, I do not mind doing things myself unless this is very frustrating/difficult. Things like oil changes, brakes, suspension, timing belt - I was able to do myself in the past.

As a current or past 1st gen owner - would you, or would you not recommend it and why? Also, which one is the best option? My only experience in the past was a 1st gen cooper s drive which I enjoyed a lot because of engine character, handling and steering feel.

ok

Last edited by accel; 12-23-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2022 | 02:26 PM
Tsiggy
Alliance Member
The '05 R52 I have is pretty easy to work on and modifications abound. Best car for seat of the pants driving. The other ones in my life are the '19 F54 and '21 F60.hybrid. Wouldn't have just the one as a daily drive as it needs periodic attention.

The following users liked this post:
accel (12-23-2022)
Old 12-23-2022 | 04:27 PM
accel
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tsiggy
The '05 R52 I have is pretty easy to work on and modifications abound. Best car for seat of the pants driving. The other ones in my life are the '19 F54 and '21 F60.hybrid. Wouldn't have just the one as a daily drive as it needs periodic attention.
There will be another car in the garage and I understand mini is not a top notch in terms of reliability.

I guess the question is - how critical is it...

Like my former 2nd gen mini I would not take at a long roaftrip fsr from the dealerbnetwork.

Old 12-24-2022 | 07:20 AM
RockC
5th Gear
Originally Posted by accel
I used to own a second gen cooper S which after 6-7 years of ownership I sold with some great relieve. I did not like repairability, reliability, durability, etc. That mini was the only car that had to be towed to be repaired on several occasions. I do not mind to work on the car myself, but preferred to pay money rather than work on that mini because of the way it was designed. Also, not having a temperature gauge? Anyways....

Also, I somehow did not like 2nd gen design. My heart always belonged to the original mini and a 1st gen.

I'm carefully considering a possibility of getting a 1st gen mini now....

I'd like to ask for an advice from the community on what is it to maintain 1st gen with a balanced self/dealer repairs maintenance? Again, I do not mind doing things myself unless this is very frustrating/difficult. Things like oil changes, brakes, suspension, timing belt - I was able to do myself in the past.

As a current or past 1st gen owner - would you, or would you not recommend it and why? Also, which one is the best option? My only experience in the past was a 1st gen cooper s drive which I enjoyed a lot because of engine character, handling and steering feel.

ok
The general advice on buying a used car is to buy the newest/best example you can find/afford.

Getting a 1st gen MINI may look good while sitting in front of your computer but the car will be from 2000 to 2005. 17 to 22 years old. This is the age at which time things not necessarily considered "wear items" start to go bad.

A practical purchase? No. One that only makes sense from heart not the head.

The following users liked this post:
dpcompt (12-24-2022)
Old 12-24-2022 | 09:56 AM
accel
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RockC
The general advice on buying a used car is to buy the newest/best example you can find/afford.

Getting a 1st gen MINI may look good while sitting in front of your computer but the car will be from 2000 to 2005. 17 to 22 years old. This is the age at which time things not necessarily considered "wear items" start to go bad.

A practical purchase? No. One that only makes sense from heart not the head.
Totally agree. There definitely is "heart" component here.

Old 12-26-2022 | 08:36 AM
hailey grey
2nd Gear
Welcome to the forum

Last edited by hailey grey; 12-27-2022 at 04:53 AM.
Old 12-26-2022 | 09:37 AM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
LOTS of seals and gaskets deep in the engine on any first gen car will need addressing if they have not specifically been addressed by the previous owner. An older car may need supercharger oil service. Oil pan gaskets go bad frequently. There is always the clutch to think about too. Buying a 20 year old car comes with the expectation that lots of work will be needed.

All of that said, the only way I will part with my 03 R53 is when I die.