1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to order MCS Spyder...JCW possible

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005 | 08:52 PM
Domenico
|
1st Gear
Soon to order MCS Spyder...JCW possible

Is it worth it to order the JCW pkg? I love speed AND HANDLING. I've spec'd out at least 3 diff. combos on mini.com but I'm not sure which way to lean. I'm trying to keep the price reasonable but I have to figure about $6500 according to the phone quote in regards to the JCW PKG w/install. All opinions welcomed. I really don't need the spyder but I feel why not so I'm thinking the same about the JCW. I'm trying to stay under$34k.
I want the following:

Sport pkg w/perf runflats
Chrono pkg
Chrome exterior & interior
3 spoke/cruise
Harmon Kardon
LSD
JCW??????

Also spec'd the same car no JCW dark silver w/the anthracite R90's--looks sweet.

All opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2005 | 02:07 AM
indimini
4th Gear
Just curious - what do you mean by spyder?

Old 02-01-2005 | 03:49 AM
Blown-Lone-Star
3rd Gear
Spyder

Spyder is the European term for CONVERTABLE.
Originally Posted by indimini
Just curious - what do you mean by spyder?

Old 02-01-2005 | 03:51 AM
Blown-Lone-Star
3rd Gear
new mini.

Im ordering a mini real soon myself, Im not sold on the looks and rigidity of the convertable though. the anthracite interior with two tone grey seats look sweet too. Looks like we will be enjoying out minis around the same time. Enjoy.

Originally Posted by Domenico
Is it worth it to order the JCW pkg? I love speed AND HANDLING. I've spec'd out at least 3 diff. combos on mini.com but I'm not sure which way to lean. I'm trying to keep the price reasonable but I have to figure about $6500 according to the phone quote in regards to the JCW PKG w/install. All opinions welcomed. I really don't need the spyder but I feel why not so I'm thinking the same about the JCW. I'm trying to stay under$34k.
I want the following:

Sport pkg w/perf runflats
Chrono pkg
Chrome exterior & interior
3 spoke/cruise
Harmon Kardon
LSD
JCW??????

Also spec'd the same car no JCW dark silver w/the anthracite R90's--looks sweet.

All opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2005 | 04:14 AM
indimini
4th Gear
Spyder is the European term for CONVERTABLE
Hmm, learn something new everyday. I always thought the Europeans used the term cabriolet. I've only seen the sypder term used on Japanese makes.

Old 02-01-2005 | 07:55 PM
sequence
6th Gear
more an archaic term

I always equated "Spyder" to a certain kind of car, specifically a 2-seater drop top front or mid engine/rear drive roadster. Lots of current production cars made all over the world that fit that criteria could then be considered spyders: Viper, 'Vette, Crossfire, Miata, NSX, etc.... And didn't Fiat make a Spyder back in the 70s?

the term seems archaic to me now, because it's not been used a lot in popular automotive jargon lately. Jimbo

Old 02-02-2005 | 07:20 PM
Domenico
|
1st Gear
test drive!!!

Drove an S coupe today at Tate Mini in Annapolis. I was observant of the break in and kept it under 4500rpm but it felt very nice. Good handling and nice and tight. I had a 98 M3 so I am aware of BMW handling characteristics. I am going to order next week for sure. The exhaust note upon decelerating was very cool. (Burbling) I also race a shifter kart so I am looking forward to cornering as fast as possible feeling confident it will stick on the twisties. I will order a convertible S w/ Works pkg. is it worth the extra cash. Approx 35k as I've spec'd? I NEED OPINIONS!!

Thanks,

Old 02-13-2005 | 10:20 PM
jollybengali87
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
I always equated "Spyder" to a certain kind of car, specifically a 2-seater drop top front or mid engine/rear drive roadster. Lots of current production cars made all over the world that fit that criteria could then be considered spyders: Viper, 'Vette, Crossfire, Miata, NSX, etc.... And didn't Fiat make a Spyder back in the 70s?

the term seems archaic to me now, because it's not been used a lot in popular automotive jargon lately. Jimbo
acutually Spyder is the company for Mitsubishi and others that make their convertables. the european term is cabriolet.

Old 02-14-2005 | 03:30 AM
MarkS
5th Gear
There are, or were, lots of "Spyders" and "Spiders". Ferrari's new F430 convertible is officially called the F430 Spider, Alfa Romeo has built cars named Spyder for decades, and James Dean had his fatal accident in a 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder.

Mark

Old 02-14-2005 | 06:56 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I feel that the JCW works kit is for the person who wants the extra power in their car without worrying about warranty issues. Plain and simple..

Old 02-14-2005 | 08:11 AM
Solarmax_Racing
2nd Gear
I thought about the JCW on my order, yet to come in, and concluded that it is a LOT of money for the extra zing. The 2005's seem to be somewhat faster than previous Mini S types. Reports place it midway between 2004 and JCW's. On test drives the drivability was better with the new gearing and the power boost was noticable. I'm sticking with a straight Mini S with LSD and if I get bored in a couple of years maybe I'll tinker with it.

All in all, there is always some faster car out there that will blow your wheels off... so ya' gotta ask yourself the question... are you happy drivin' it the way it is... well do ya' .

Maybe try it out stock first, add JCW later (although you couldn't have it on the financing, if any, then)

CB

Old 02-14-2005 | 03:37 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
I ordered my MCS in November and its sitting at the dealer now. For most of that time, my hubby and I told everyone that we were not going to get the JCW b/c of the cost. But as the time came closer we figured that all of that stuff was going to get done to my MCS eventually and this way its under warranty, plus when you buy it new you can finance the extra cost if you need. So, Bruno is sleeping at the dealer for a few more days to get the JCW installed

Old 02-14-2005 | 04:01 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Originally Posted by Domenico
Drove an S coupe today at Tate Mini in Annapolis. I was observant of the break in and kept it under 4500rpm but it felt very nice. Good handling and nice and tight. I had a 98 M3 so I am aware of BMW handling characteristics. I am going to order next week for sure. The exhaust note upon decelerating was very cool. (Burbling) I also race a shifter kart so I am looking forward to cornering as fast as possible feeling confident it will stick on the twisties. I will order a convertible S w/ Works pkg. is it worth the extra cash. Approx 35k as I've spec'd? I NEED OPINIONS!!

Thanks,
If you can afford it, the MCS cabrio with JCW kit (about $5000-5500 is good but price will vary) is fine.

To reduce the cost some you can drop the external chrome package or sport package. The Xenons are bright and nice. The heavy 17" wheels and runflats don't help performance and increase ride harshness. The 16" X-lyte wheels are functional enough and offer reasonable performance.

The LSD is worth a serious look if you like performance. The Harmon Kardon is nice for those that don't want to spend too much but want a reasonably good audio upgrade- if you like music but you aren't into audiophile prices.

If you are really into performance your best bet is a MCS hardtop with all your previous options, JCW kit and LSD. It's lighter and stiffer. If you really want the open air feel you can consider the Premium package with sunroof and multi function steering wheel, trip computer and auto AC.

DSC can be skipped if you really like performance, otherwise it offers some safety to help with traction.