1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

greetings and seeking your guidance

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005 | 09:22 AM
Bahamabart
|
6th Gear
greetings and seeking your guidance

Firts greetings from South Florida. I just picked up a 03 MCS (black white roof and mirrors). My son just got his learners permit and I wanted him to start off learning to drive stick and that is why I bought the car. Its a lot of fun to drive but a little weak in the low mid range so I want to help it along by adding - free flow intake, exhaust and pulley.

So I want max performance but for street driving pleasure.

I have the following questions (If the moderator whishes to move my questions to other forms - fine by me )

1) Pulley - I understand that there are 3 pulley sizes available 15%, 17% & 19%. My first reaction was if your going to do it then go for the 19% BUT at Mini Mania, I read the following

"A 15% reduction in the supercharger pulley diameter increases the boost by more than 4 pounds, resulting in a dyno-measured gain of over 20 horsepower AT THE WHEELS. Maximum boost is achieved at lower RPM, giving more power in the mid-range. Pulleys reduced 17% or 19% may deliver more boost, but cause the supercharger to operate at higher RPM than it is designed to tolerate. At 15%, the ULTRIK pulley provides the most boost increase available without over-revving the supercharger at high engine RPM. The reliability gives you added power without undue stress on the OEM supercharger."

comments welcome - also brand recommendation would be appreciated.

2) Exhaust - My reading has lead me to believe headers are for off road purpose only. Is there a street legal header?

I want an exhaust that increases horsepower, adds a sexy exhaust note but not one so loud that I cannot hear the radio.

I welcome brand suggestions here.

3) Free Flow Air Intake.

There are so many brands I am overwhelmed. So I would just like to hear about brand recommendations and installation difficulties.

4) If anyone is aware of a "kit" that includes all of the above would welcome recommendations, brand experience, ect......

looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Bart

Old 02-28-2005 | 09:57 AM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
Pulley:
The 19% pulley is one of those topics that everyone has a different opinion on. Some people have problems with it, I personally have had my pulley on for 12,000 miles and have not had a single problem. I know others that have gone more than 20,000 miles and still not had any problems. The 19% pulley gives more low-end power and torque than the other diameter pulleys; however, most people will tell you it is bad for the engine. Go with whatever feels right for you, if you want to be safe, go with the 15%.

Exhaust:
MINI2 has a section in their FAQ about exhaust systems MINI2 FAQ and NAM has a thread in the forums dedicated to exhaust NAM Exhaust Thread. Both of the websites have pictures and sound clips of many types of exhaust.
I like the Magnaflow, but many believe it is too loud. Quiksilver is also a very nice exhaust system that is not too loud.

Intakes:
I do not have a lot of experience with intakes, so you'll have to wait for someone else with more experience on intakes.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-28-2005 | 10:09 AM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
My Experience & 2 cents

I had an 02 MC with a Borla exhaust and did like the exhaust note but it was a little loud on the road at highway speeds. I cannot honestly say that I noted any increase in power or gas mileage.

I now have an 05 MCSC and just had a 15% pulley installed. Like you I was concerned about reliability and not damaging the engine or supercharger so I went with the 15% pulley. This is the size closest to the pulley used on the JCW kit. It definitely increases power at all power bands but is most noticeable above 4K rpms.

I highly recommend a pulley, probably the 15%. Exhaust upgrades in my opinion will add only minimal increases in power but will give you a nicer exhaust note. MINI changed the exhaust with the 05 models and am happy with the OEM system. It has a nice tone and does have some "burble" when you let off the gas. Reminds me of my old MG.

Welcome to the group!

Old 02-28-2005 | 10:32 AM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
there are a great many gear heads around these forums that will be able to help you more than i will, but here goes.

pulley: Alta is pretty much the manufacturer of choice. the smaller the pulley the more boost it creates. as was mentioned already, there are the 15%, 17%, and 19% pullies. i'm not sure, but i don't think the 19% is meant to be used close to redline, so u might be safer with the 15%. it's a tried and true mod thats been in use longer than the 19%.

exhaust: make sure you check out the exhaust reference thread here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t=23789&page=1. i have the Borla Street on my car right now, but will be getting the Milltek system before the 2006 trip to the Dragon. that thread should have all the information you need about the various exhausts including sound and video clips.

intake: IMO, the Alta Cold Air Intake with the silicone tube is the only way to go. one of the more expensive intakes on the market, but it is sooooo worth it. it was the first engine mod i made on my car, and i couldn't be happier. you'll become addicted to the sound of the supercharger whine. other intakes on the market are the Pilo, Madness, Rogue, and K&N.

the Unichip ECU might also be a good idea, incase the previous mods don't make enough power for you.

with the aforementioned mods, you should up past 200hp. i would also consider some suspension mods be made as well, nothing to aggressive, maybe springs at most. are you buying it as a car for him to drive, or just for you to teach him with?

Old 03-01-2005 | 06:54 PM
Bahamabart
|
6th Gear
thanks for the comments

Appreciate the input

Based on comments and this site, I'm leaning towards putting in the mymini free air flow, 15% (ALSO FROM MY MINI, THEY ARE UP THE ROAD A BIT) and trying the One-Ball exhaust (too cheap not to try).

Once done I will post back with my feedback, thoughts and reflections.

Bart