1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice: mini s vs. wrx

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005 | 07:00 PM
minesgeek
|
Neutral
need advice: mini s vs. wrx

so i am new to MINI town here and i was looking at the differences between a wrx and a mini cooper s (i am in the market)

i am going to be living in CA so no need for awd.

i don't plan on having kids anytime soon so i don't need 4 doors.

i do plan on fiddling around a little bit with my car and i have ridden and driven both so i think that i am settled on either one but i am having a difficult time choosing between the two. both are in my price range ('04 models).

i know there are a ton of things to consider but i was just wondering if i could have some help coming up with a deal breaker...

Old 03-18-2005 | 07:22 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Sounds like the deal brkr is looks.
Guess the WRX looses

Old 03-18-2005 | 07:49 PM
RR|Suki
2nd Gear
WRX interior is veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy cheap, and they have a propencity for tranny trouble... and I personally don't like it's turbo lag... good friend of mines GF bought one and we taught her to drive the manual, ok car flimsy though. I've only test drove the mini twice I like it more cuz of the solid feel it has also I looked up insurance, I would look into that aswell. so in the end it's an opinion thing. Oh the wrx is faster... but whatever.

Old 03-18-2005 | 08:09 PM
goaljnky
Banned
I was making the same choice. Looked at all the cheap looking stuff in the WRX and got a loaded MCC instead. A few more grand would have gotten me an STI and I've been lusting after that car since mid 90's. But one test drive in the Mini and that was it. Not a single regret. Plus I really got turned off by the image projected by the WRX/STI drivers.

Old 03-18-2005 | 08:20 PM
manoo
3rd Gear
wrxvsmini

i drove a friends wrx on a road trip from los angeles to santa fe before purchasing my s and i have to say that although i really really like awd and the car IS fast the mini still came out way ahead of the wrx for me.
i don't like the turbo lag and as a passenger, particularly while riding in the back seat i would feel slightly naseaus..
i have driven my mini across the country and found it to be very comfortable and i feel refreshed at the end of a long day on the road. i find the mini much more fun to drive and a much better handling car.
just my 2 cents worth..

oh by the way, my friend changed out the seats in the wrx in the first few months....

Old 03-18-2005 | 08:55 PM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
i drove an STi on an autox track and just didn't like the loose feeling it had. the MINI was wayyyy stiffer flying thru the cones. and then there's the looks. an STi with the big scoop and spoiler doesn't get a great reaction from all crowds, unlike the MINI

Old 03-18-2005 | 09:01 PM
lotsie
Banned
If you don't need 4 doors,or AWD,why get a car with them.
A MINI is more fun

Old 03-18-2005 | 09:09 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
I don't understand the appeal of the WRX - or any Japanese car for that matter - but to each his own.

Old 03-18-2005 | 09:27 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Tough choice...

Not really.

WRX Pro's
faster, AWD
WRX Con's
styling, interior

MCS Pro's
more fun to drive, plenty quick (especially with mods or JCW), better looking inside & out, membership in a diverse group of cool people with a common love for their MINI's
MCS Con's
not as fast

I don't want to dis the WRX. It's an amazing car, but IMO the MCS is a better choice. It should come as no surprise that we feel this way.

Just drive both cars again and go with whichever feels better. Numbers are most certainly not everything.

Old 03-18-2005 | 09:35 PM
Maximusmini
6th Gear
Here I go:
Gas mileage is WAY better than a WRX, plus a smaller tank. Styling In and Out, FWD no need for AWD in Cali unless you're into WRC. I test drove a WRX for my younger brother and we both disliked it despite the Sparco seats and steering wheel. We also thought the interior could use some quality. Yes the WRX is faster but not as nice and good handles. Think of car shopping as looking for a date. Find what suits you best.

Old 03-18-2005 | 09:48 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
The WRXs I've driven haven't felt that much faster than our MCS. I never did a clutch-dumping launch with one, so maybe I'm just missing out on all the fun.

Old 03-18-2005 | 10:00 PM
BriNYU
3rd Gear
Yep, all of the above.

The other day I had to drive one of our other cars and as I was walking by my MC40, "Winston", I was genuinly SAD having to leave it. Upon returning to my house I was happy to see him again. It was like seeing my best friend.

I cant think of any other car with as much personality and performance in one package...Go with the MINI and you wont have any regrets.

Old 03-18-2005 | 10:26 PM
Johnny L
4th Gear
The WRX is Kinda Funny Lookin'--in a general sort way

Boy racer and stuff, you know . . .