1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to MINI...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 04:41 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to MINI...

Hi all! I'm seriously considering a MC, and am on the verge of getting one. All that's left is a test drive and a payment plan. I currently drive a 94 Plymouth Voyager (hey, it can haul a LOT of wood), and am in the process of bringing to life my 73 VW Bug (it's a bit rusty...but runs).

At some point in time the van will go up to that big garage in the sky - for now it will eventually replace my parents honda civic ($100.00 anyone?), and a Safari+camper combo ($6,000.00?), if/when I get a MINI.

For economic reasons, it seems getting a MINI would be a good move (don't ask how - the dream must never be disturbed!).

John

Old 05-31-2005, 05:08 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
:smile: Welcome to NAM, John! When is your test-drive? FAIR WARNING: once you test-drive a MINI, you will be sucked into the cult! Muwahahahaha!

Clover

Old 05-31-2005, 06:03 PM
minihoopercooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i totally agree with clover - once you test drive - you better have your payment plan in order - because you'll be takin one home! you'll drive it and think of nothing else until you're sitting in the little room to sign the papers with permagrin on your face!

Old 05-31-2005, 06:14 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
That's right... once you test drive... you'll be hooked. So don't test drive unless your willing to look under rocks for the down payment. Really, it's an addicting car.... all good. Enjoy!

Old 05-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Minutia
2nd Gear
Test Drive Danger

It is all true. I test drove several used Mini's in early April. I was hooked. Placed my order April 24th. Minutia is now at the VPC waiting truck delivery to dealer later this week. Yeah!

Old 05-31-2005, 06:28 PM
minijob
1st Gear
It is a demon

The MINI is a demon hard to avoid in looks and maneuvers.
You'll be amazed!! High octane economy, and lots of fun!!
You'll be remembered between your friends. Good looking your MC!!

Old 05-31-2005, 06:29 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ururk
Hi all! I'm seriously considering a MC, and am on the verge of getting one. All that's left is a test drive and a payment plan. I currently drive a 94 Plymouth Voyager (hey, it can haul a LOT of wood), and am in the process of bringing to life my 73 VW Bug (it's a bit rusty...but runs).

At some point in time the van will go up to that big garage in the sky - for now it will eventually replace my parents honda civic ($100.00 anyone?), and a Safari+camper combo ($6,000.00?), if/when I get a MINI.

For economic reasons, it seems getting a MINI would be a good move (don't ask how - the dream must never be disturbed!).

John
John,
Aloha and welcome to NAM.
You are merely "one key turn away from bliss".
Sounds more like a "prison break"!

I gave up my trusty 91' Dodge Caravan for a new 03' MCS.
Gee, that was a tough decision!?!?!?!
Since I was already driving my minivan like a MINI cooper it was a
"natural transition". And I thought tires were supposed to squeal like that!

Now lets allow you to continue your "dream".

Old 05-31-2005, 06:44 PM
ururk
5th Gear
This is really bad : ) I like to sit back and ponder purchasing something expensive for a long time.

Test driving at Bavarian Motor Village (MI) ideally, but most likely at their used car lot (in a separate location). I never specifically asked them about driving a car at the used lot, but I assume they do that (hey, I've never done this before).

I will probably be able to head over there tomorrow, but am really busy at work this week, and might not make it till Friday.

It's sort of funny - my mom worked in Italy/Europe as a programmer for a few years (in the 70's), and drove an "automatic" MINI morris - not too sure if it was a Cooper, or if Morris was the model. She seemed to think the automatic was rare (or really bad).

John

Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Wow. Your mom drove a "classic" Mini--a Morris Mini Cooper at that. The automatic was not a "bad" thing, but with such a small motor and everyone else in Italy driving clutch cars it must have seemed awkward. The automatic was supposed to be an advance over the manual transmission--freeing the motorist from the drudgery of shifting. Every auto engineer aspired to deliver more performance, comfort and reliability. The automatic was rare in small displacement engine cars at that time. Ferdinand Porsche insisted on the automatic transmission for the 928 because that was supposed to be the ultimate car--drawn from a clean slate without the compromises of the 911. And now clutchless racing cars are taken for granted. Your mom was ahead of the curve.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:09 PM
NealW
2nd Gear
You should go to Motor City MINI (the Bavarian BMW location) and test drive a new one. Even if it doesn't fit your budget, you can use the experience to make yourself a better buyer of used MINIs. Have fun shopping.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:15 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
:smile: Welcome to NAM, John! When is your test-drive? FAIR WARNING: once you test-drive a MINI, you will be sucked into the cult! Muwahahahaha!

Clover
OMG so true!

Old 06-01-2005, 04:49 PM
ururk
5th Gear
The automatic was not a "bad" thing
Well, she felt the automatic was cobbled together ("bad" was the wrong word to use). She never drove stick, and as such, couldn't drive manual, hence driving the auto.

As far as heading to Bavarian Village - I'd like to but don't think I'll be able to make the trip this week/weekend - I may be headed to a nearby used car lot which has one for sale (used, of course), just to drive one and check it out. It just irks me that these things don't depreciate (then again, that is a good thing regarding resale - but for how long?) - they are selling the mini for practically retail cost (why!?!?!?). I'm sure a few thousand miles won't ruin the experience. I'm driving a 94 Voyager with a water leak into the van. Anything 99 and newer impresses me : )

Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Welcome to NAM, John! When is your test-drive? FAIR WARNING: once you test-drive a MINI, you will be sucked into the cult! Muwahahahaha!

Clover
WHY ME??? Why?

Took a "used" dealership silver mini (8,010 mi, 2003), $20,500 (leather seats, heated, DSC, premium package, etc...), and it was nice. I'm probably the only one around here who doesn't like leather seats, though.

The steering wheel was a bit stiff - only downside. I don't care for leather seats, and the tach and speedo were silver colored (I thought stock was white face?). I also didn't like the stripes (nothing a hairdryer can't pull off).

"Nice" doesn't really say it, though.

The guys let me drive it without them, and I took it around through a neighborhood (oh, my dad was my passenger : ). The cool thing was, there were two steep "hills" on the way back, had no trouble going up them, heh heh (ie, think Dukes of Hazard, but slower and no jump).

It was AWESOME. I'm a poor college student, with a decent job (read phenomenal). I NEED to figure out the economics of this. Loan, etc...

I mean, I certainly hope it would do well as a daily driver -> I would be giving up the van, and helping sell two of my parents vehicles (we have one junky Honda to sell, and a white van we are no longer in need of).

And I also figure I'd have to sell it 3 years and or 45,000 miles from when I get it - I certainly could not afford out of warranty repairs.

Would it be bad to get the silver, since it has stuff that's extra but I don't really want/need (DSC, Leather heated seats), and the color isn't what I wanted? Or should I get the model I want, even if it is lacking some of the extras I'd get for free with the Silver?

Ahhhhhhh!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Gomez85
2nd Gear
Well, the best advice I could give (and I give the same advice to my friends when they're buying their 1st sportbike), look for the one you love and buy it....don't settle for items you don't want, it will sour the experience. I just bought the MINI I wanted, with the options across the country from me (okay, half way across). Found it on e-bay for $21K (best I could find in sunny SoCal, was a used LY MINI S for $6K more, and not equiped how I wanted her). After 3 months of driving the only problem I have encountered is the sore face muscles from smiling so much .

BTW, this is my 1st post, but you'll see more of me......

Old 06-03-2005, 05:10 AM
RenaultF1
4th Gear
First off...welcome. :smile:

I second Gomez's thoughts. Get the options you want. The price of the '03 seems a bit steep. Remember, leather is a $1,300 option that you'll be paying for that you don't want. I think you might find that if you speced out a new MC, you could either get it for less or around the same money. Also, loan rates tend to be better for new cars than used cars.

I would, however, highly recommend getting DSC...as that is a safety item.

Anyway, go to your closest MINI dealership and if you don't want to order new, maybe they'll have a used one with options & colours closer to what you want.