1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 01:11 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally agree. I'll be changing at 5-6K depending on what I get back from the Blackstone tests. If they conclude that the oil is still doing it's job without too high a concentration of the 'bad' metals and insolubles, i'll extend it slightly...

Old 06-22-2005, 01:29 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
I change it every 3000! Because it can't hurt... and in stop and go Southern California it's better for the car.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:36 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Once a year whether it needs it or not.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:55 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
One thing that I have noticed with a lot of cars that show higher than 'normal' change intervals is that they usually have a larger reserve of oil (not sure about the Mini thoug has I haven't checked the manual). On most Porsche's and BMW's, 8 quarts is pretty standard in the crank case. I think the 3 series os around 5 or 6, but when we changed oil on a M5 and a 7 series, i recall it being closer to 8 quarts. That leaves a lot more oil to do the job of the 3-5 quarts in a regular car (my moms old Infiniti G20 only needed 3.5 quarts to fill it!!!). The additives last longer and the insolubles are more diluted.

With that being said, I am STILL changing my oil every 5K miles unless a blackstone tells me to extend it.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 PM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
changing oil

changed mine at 1350 miles, post initial breakin

will change again at about 5000 miles, and then dealer will change at about 10k....

I'll change mine (with mini OEM filters and either MINI or mobil 1 synthetic) then about every 5 k, and abit more frequently during driving event summer season....

I think one can go far (like 8k) between oil changes now, but the more frequently changed oils intervals really benefit a car when it is high mileage.. for example, my 1991 318iS ran exceptionally well at 188k miles with 3 to 4k mobil 1 oil changes.. also that car ran about 30 driving schools....... I don't think engineers/mini/bmw developed oil change intervals for cars which may go 150k, but want no engine problems related to oil change frequency in 100k or less mileage... just my 2 cents....

Old 08-22-2005, 01:13 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Though I did read the entire thread and it may have been mentioned before, but I also feel that the manufacturer is only concerned about the car making it past the warranty period. Since they also pay to change the oil, they extend the interval since the car only has to make it 36K or 50K or 60K at most. They only then pay for 2-5 changes and save themselves some money. Then the car is out of warranty and the customer has to foot the bill for any repairs. Kinda like an insurance policy for the dealer after the cars start turning 100K or so and the rings/bearings/valves start to go and get gummed up or wear beyond use.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Petite Panda
4th Gear
More oil questions

I hate to have to revive this thread on oil change frequencies, but since I'm new to the synthetic oil thing, I thought I should find some opinions. So I was always told to change the oil after the break-in period, around 1500 miles regardless of the oil/engine type, but someone also told me that this view may be old fashioned. Any advice for the new cars? Also, how much does MINI charge for oil change service when its not their regularly scheduled maintainence?

Old 12-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
apoptosis. . . . everyone has their own opinion. I'd say to change the oil as frequently as you feel comfortable with.

Lots of the old truths from the past are no longer true with modern synthetic oils, but lots of people still stand by their grandfather's wisdom. However, anyone who is still changing their synthetic oil every 3000 miles or 3 months isn't doing any harm to their engine by changing their oil more frequently than necessary. . .

Engines today are made with very high tech computer controlled equipment that allows for much more precise machining than was possible decades ago when "breaking in" an engine meant that the moving parts of the engine really did grind against each other significantly until they moved against each other smoothly.

I change mine about every 5k with Mobil 1 and feel that I am being overly cautious since I am using oil that is rated to last 15k miles.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Petite Panda
4th Gear
So do MINI dealers charge the same for an oil change throughout the country - is it standard or does it depend on location? Thanks explaining why it used to be so important, YuccaPatrol, I never knew...

Old 12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
wow

im old school as well...

i think im pushing it with my oil... i change it every 3000 miles and i use mobil 1 synthetic 5w30... and it rated at 7500 miles...

i think i should make it 5000 miles...

Old 12-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Oh, and for those using Mobil 1, they have changed formulations and you now must buy the more expensive "extended performance" version which they say is good for 15000 miles. This is the one I change at 5000 miles. . . .

Old 12-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Nics
2nd Gear
I don't think the oil is why most people change their oil; it's mostly to get a new oil filter in there since they simply do not hold up very well for the recommended intervals. -- or at least that was the case with BMW's. BMW had a problem with the filters not lasting until the recommended 15k which meant there were metal chunks/particles/pieces of the oil filter breaking off floating around in the motor oil. BMW has 'updated' their filters since then, IIRC.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:05 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
On the note of filters, does anyone know which filter would be good for the Mini? I've stuck with Purolator Pure Ones and Mobil 1 filters and had very good luck with Blackstones on my G35. I've only changed the oil once on the Mini (it now has about 6K miles) so I haven't had a chance to do a blackstone, but I did use a Pure One filter with it. Should I stick with them or actually go and get an OEM filter??? Has anyone analyzed one yet??

Old 12-23-2005, 05:11 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres another thought.The engineers who designed the oil had to do the extended mile tests to cover their rears when they supply to people like porshe where it is the oem fill.I would be surprised the the engineers at porshe would not do their own test to confirm the higher mileage rating.I think the 02 mini's with higher miles seem to be doing just fine.I monitor oil consumption which is the first sign of an engine wearing out and I dont see a consumption issue.If you talk to an oil engineer he will tell you cold weather and dry starts are where 99% of wear on engine occurs,this is where a synthetic oil shines.It cant do any harm, but is it cost effective to overdo this.Are you gunna be buried with your car? Remember that the average car in north america is traded every 5-6 years so the only one benefiting from this excessive oil change thing is the 2nd or 3rd owner. I am sure you are not going to get another 1000 for you car because you spent another 1000 on oil changes during the life of the vehicle.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:29 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Seems like it's been every 20,000 miles or so.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Petite Panda
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pooch1
If you talk to an oil engineer he will tell you cold weather and dry starts are where 99% of wear on engine occurs,this is where a synthetic oil shines.
What do you mean "dry starts"?

Old 12-23-2005, 07:53 PM
gstockmini
2nd Gear
I bought my MCS in May of this year, and as of tonight have just a pinch under 14,000 miles! I drive about 50 miles a day, 5 days a week for work. I did the normal break-in period, and then had the dealer do the first oil change at about 12k and some change. While at the dealer, I bought enough oem oil and filters to do 3k interval changes until the 15k countdown meter says it's the dealer's turn to pay for the work. My thought is that I fully trust the engineers, but an engine will never complain if you put fresh oil in it.
As far as consumption, all internal combustion engines drink some degree of oil. It mostly goes unnoticed because of frequent oil changes, but is not uncommon on 5k-15k change intervals. Mine used about half a quart up to the ~12k change. You should see how much oil a rotary-powered car such as the RX-8 uses! Try a quart about every 3-4K!!
My dealer(MINI of ST. Louis) gave me this nifty velcro-backed bag with an embroidered MINI logo to carry one quart of extra oil in the hatch of my car! It even comes with rubber gloves, paper towels, and paper funnels!

Old 12-24-2005, 05:56 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Originally Posted by apoptosis
What do you mean "dry starts"?
I think a better word would be 'cold starts'. When all the oil has drained from the motor and is down in the pan. Of course, there is a little still in the engine with one way valves on the filter, but most has drained to the bottom. It takes a few seconds to get the oil back through the engine when you first start it, so you are running on a 'dry' engine for the first few seconds...

Old 12-24-2005, 08:30 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the thought full responses to the thread.I looked at this issue about 1 0 years ago with a friend who is a research engineer with a major oil company.On high performance motors or your standard engine 99% of wear is on dry starts(cold).This is the reason synthetic lubes work better.On cold start ie -10 F standard motor oil takes much longer to reach the bearing point ,they are running "dry" for a longer period with conventional motor oil versus synthetic which flows more quickly with the same viscosity rating.A synthetic has a higher load bearing capacity than conventional oil.This comes int play when you floor it with your 19% pulley. Without getting any more technical, this is the point of paying the higher price for a synthetic oil.Extending the oil interval is an acknowledgement confirmed thru testing that the synthetic reduces engine wear so you dont get as much metal material suspended in the oil which in turn will reduce the wear process.Your computer monitors your driving habits ie idling,low speed ,high speed,stop and go,long trips,short trips and adjusts the interval between changes accordingly.No amount of excessive oil changing is going to save your engine if you "beat it" but the synthetic will give you a greater safety margin.

Old 12-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Petite Panda
4th Gear
Thanks, D Nyholm! I was just wondering.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:21 PM
rcoopers
4th Gear
i have changed myoil every 3 to 4k or 6 months as i do not drive a lot of miles most of mine is highway miles about 70%....i have had my cooper s for about 19 months now and have changed the oil 4 times i am old school even with mobil one oil i use a factory oil filter and mobil one 5w30...no problems and i do them myself.......

Old 12-25-2005, 08:38 AM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
every 3,000 miles, a little ****, but makes me feel good

Old 12-25-2005, 09:05 AM
guidmini
3rd Gear
Oil Change Intervals

Well I have approx 850 miles on my 06 MCS. I am going to change my
oil @ 2500-3000. I have been in the dealer biz for 18 yrs now. As a Factory guy for Mercedes Benz. here is an example coolant was every 3 yrs. MB revised there intervals now its every 15 yrs.
They say to test it. I say if you live in a cold climate state it should be every 3 yrs. What is maint today on the customer pay level,oil filtre,maybe wipers, and fresh air filtre for the AC cabin. A whopping $250.00 @ the benz dealer, its a called a schedule B.
I am nolt sure what mini charges.

Does anyone know on the Warr end for Mini Maint what is include in the major service just curious?

I will be doing all the in between Maint.
See ya

Guido.