1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet Black MCS coming soon, mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 PM
fluidsoul
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Black MCS coming soon, mod questions

Hey all.

So yeah. I ordered in december. Since then it's been a frenzy of research, options, thinking, dreaming, and worst of all, waiting. It's amazing what these little beasties will inspire. Waxing philosophical for a second, it's also amazing to see the diversity these cars are capable of. They go from fire-breathing monster, to sleek german-ish luxury car, to sensible runabout, to retro goodness, to art and back again, all before lunch.

I finalized my options last week:
JB/B 05 MCS
WebS, alloy/anthracite, leather, packages

I already have a concept for it, but I'm having problems pinning down details. Input from y'all would help.

I love functional, simple design, with as little ornamentation as possible. I used to drive a laserrot '00 audi a4 tqs that the previous owner very tastefully debadged, painted lowers, mesh grille, front bumper weirdness, dechromed and chipped (I think). It was an excellent example of how beautiful a simple, well executed design can be. The one spot of chrome was the audi logo on the trunk. I only left that because copying the red glowing audi logo from Will Smith's car in I Robot proved more difficult than I originally thought.

So what am I doing with my mini? It's as close to that philosophy as possible. Jet black, black top, black leather, anthracite headliner, no chrome options, tint for heat and looks... possibly black wheels depending on how little money is left in my account after payments. Along the lines of SCC's anti-cute project MCS.

Trim is a huge problem I've yet to solve. I don't like any of the options. Anthracite is sparkly and patina is too light to fit with the rest of the car. I'm thinking semi-gloss dark grey, like well fed vinyl trim. Has anybody around here taken the trim out and painted it?

I am (an) Anti-Bling, so chrome is going the way of the dodo. All of it... except the mini logo on the back. The chrome-hater threads are a good resource. I'm having trouble finding out how to get rid of that chrome line at the base of the windows. Perhaps it's just searching vocabulary issues.

The next problem is the grille. Two ways I can go with this. I like the looks of the matte plastic(?) mesh grilles I've seen here. (see MSFITOY's gallery for an excellent application.) The other option is to repaint the chrome on the stock one. This is a matter of opinion. Knowing kinda what I want to do, what do you all think?

Performance is on my list. Mostly suspension until the warranty expires. Is there a good comparison/review of several brands of sways/coilovers around? I can read anecdotal comparisons between two brands in the forums here all day, but it's really tough to get an overall view of the products out there.

My pipe-dream is to integrate a computer into it too. Likely a Mac mini, for irony's sake. Mount the display in the sun visor, keep the rest as discreet as possible, except for the cool pulsing/glowing power button. I'd add a second battery, charged but isolated from the main system for power.

I'm looking for feedback on all of this. Opinions on the concept, resources, flames, congrats.... anything except RTFA (I have). I'm abusing my noob privileges at the moment by asking things I'm sure are covered elsewhere, but I hope you can understand how much of a learning curve there can be on things like this. I'm looking forward to putting in my $.02 when I can. I will be doing a full writeup for anything unique I do myself.

Thanks all. It's good to be here. Keep rockin'.

Old 06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
You sound EXACTLY like me... and want to do EXACTLY what I want to do.. so a big from me and pics for when you do it is ALWAYS good!

-Josh

Old 06-07-2005, 05:38 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM, fluidsoul. As for going anti-bling on the dash, I wonder if you can get a body-colored dash? I know that it's an option for some of the MINI colors. My Wanda is all Jet Black and has the anthracite dash, which is not terribly sparkly....very subtle.

There was a thread here recently where someone discussed losing the chrome line around the windows, but I can't remember which one it is, now. Hopefully, those who do will post the link here for you.

When do you take delivery? Best wishes with your project....like the Mac Mini concept...very interesting!

Clover

Old 06-07-2005, 06:11 PM
fluidsoul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Welcome to NAM, fluidsoul. As for going anti-bling on the dash, I wonder if you can get a body-colored dash? I know that it's an option for some of the MINI colors. My Wanda is all Jet Black and has the anthracite dash, which is not terribly sparkly....very subtle. [/b]
Yeah. Thought about that. They only do that for a few colors. I know it's subtle. And actually, I think it looks quite nice. It's just not what I really want. Do you think high gloss body color would look good inside?

Delivery is end of august, early september. Time to do researh.

From what I gather, the chrome line around the window is stainless, not plastic. Painting gets difficult, but hopefully not impossible. As to painting plastic, I've heard the shop has to use specail paint. True? (After I sand off all the chrome to save labor $, of course)

Thanks. :-)

Old 06-07-2005, 06:16 PM
fluidsoul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
You sound EXACTLY like me... and want to do EXACTLY what I want to do.. so a big from me and pics for when you do it is ALWAYS good!

-Josh
Thanks Josh.

I'm hoping this is a relatively unique concept. Ever seen another one along these lines?

I'm looking at doing all this in september. If you're gonna do yours, we should compare notes.

Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by fluidsoul
Yeah. Thought about that. They only do that for a few colors. I know it's subtle. And actually, I think it looks quite nice. It's just not what I really want. Do you think high gloss body color would look good inside?

Delivery is end of august, early september. Time to do researh.

From what I gather, the chrome line around the window is stainless, not plastic. Painting gets difficult, but hopefully not impossible. As to painting plastic, I've heard the shop has to use specail paint. True? (After I sand off all the chrome to save labor $, of course)

Thanks. :-)
My concern with the body colored dash would be how well it would stand up to scratches and nicks and such. My first MINI had the silver dash, and it was pretty fragile. The anthracite has been very tough and looks as good today as the day I took delivery of her April 4, 2003.

I don't know enough about the chrome line/stainless window trim. Check out this thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=43931

I see from your opening post that you already saw the chrome-hater thread in the Interior and Exterior Mods forum. That should have plenty of good info for you, fluidsoul! :smile:

Clover

Old 06-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
the grill's on Msfitoy's car are actually the grills that are used on MINI's Aero Kit. the look of them is much better than the stock grill IMO. the only tricky part is getting the lower grill on, which requires some modification of both the grill and the bumper. as for the chrome removal, i would recommend keeping the beltline chrome and the chrome around the headlights. these are just little pieces of brightwork that, when removed, cheapen the look of the car. just my .02

Old 06-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Dr Evil
2nd Gear
Congrats I ordered mine last week Friday, should be here mid to end of August.. But I've been doing a come early MINI dance.. hope it work

Old 06-07-2005, 07:40 PM
go_mini_go
3rd Gear

That sounds like a nice combination!! I hope you really enjoy washing cars, jet black is definately high maintenance.

Do some searching, you will find the part number for the 3M black tape for the beltine chrome, it is high quality tape intended for this use.

So far, I have done 15% pulley, h-sport rear bar. It was a total and complete blast at Mid Ohio last month!!

It IS everything you are hoping it will be!!

Old 06-07-2005, 07:43 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
!

The black-out looks fantastic, dark_mini! Good job!
Clover

Old 06-08-2005, 05:31 PM
TheOldMan
4th Gear
I love gratuitous over complicated design, lots of ornamentation. Pro-bling, chrome lover. Anti-computer non-descreet, stock suspension, MINI’s.

Kidding aside, I also have Jet Black, anthracite interior. You’re going to love it!:smile:

Welcome to NAM!

Old 06-22-2005, 08:20 AM
bigben1999
Neutral
I too love the simple and functional ... Bauhaus Rules.

I am a Mini owner to be ...

Currently I own a AudiTT225q with tons of Mods.

I am in the process of working with my current dealer to build my Mini.

My Mini will need to be simple and functional as well. To me, the most important aspect of the car should be the engine and suspension mods. Tjis is why I will put most of the $ into the JCW kit. I drove it and loved it.

Colors, I have condidered all black but leaning towards the Dark Silver with Black top. I have owned Two black cars before (A4 and SAAB9000aero) and it will require a ton of attention to keep clean (although when clean, nothing compares).

Good luck with your purchase and post pics ...

BTW, I have seen the JCW 18" wheels in person with a black powder coat ... they look awesome!

Doug

Old 06-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Johnny L
4th Gear
Hi, Fluidsoul! I really like your focused concept on your MINI. I, too, like to keep things centered on performance. I also like Jet Black! Have fun!

Old 06-22-2005, 07:11 PM
SpiderKnight
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bigben1999

BTW, I have seen the JCW 18" wheels in person with a black powder coat ... they look awesome!

Doug
ANY CHANCE FOR A PIC OR REFERENCE?

Sorry for the caps, when I read this I got so excited.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:43 AM
jbsf3
3rd Gear
fluidsoul,
Blacking out the front is easy with the M7 grills- take a look. You can also take off the chrome MSC vents and add the side vents from a Cooper (black plastic). I removed the clear side lenses on mine and installed blacked out versions- every little bit helps. Enjoy!