1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny got me thinkin' about mods...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Wench
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny got me thinkin' about mods...

Hi all!

Im interested in a few mods, but I need some advice. If I were to say get a cold air intake installed, is it better to go with MINI parts, or can I choose another brand of my mechanics sugestion? I know someone, who knows someone who is a certified Mercedes mechanic who can give me a good deal on labor, Ill pick up the parts, but Im not familiar with this stuff. Im interested in the pulley, too... Do any of the mods have a negative effect on the warranty? Im having a blast with the car, and I think I'd like to delve into the world of mods... You guys are awesome- im learning so much!!!

Old 06-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Johnny L
4th Gear
It depends, probably, on how much modding you want to do. If you have the "bank," you ought to just spring for the complete JCW. It's a set-it-and-forget-it set of engine mods that has full warranty coverage--for about $6000 installed. This is supposed to give you 210 hp at the wheel, which is a LOT more than the avg. MINI owner probably knows what to do with (I'm assuming that regular posters on NAM are above-average MINI owners! ).

If you're just looking to give your MCS a little extra zippity doo-dah, then the 15% pulley and the Alta CAI is pretty simple and pretty benign on your car's wear and tear. This'll probably get you at 175 wheel hp, which is pretty darn peppy. Also, this "Stage 1" type of thing isn't going to hurt your car, so warranty issues shouldn't come up. In fact, my research shows that even some dealers are willing to install and back the work. Anyway, you can accomplish this for about $700 parts and labor.

Now, if you want to go any further, you'll probably be okay, but you'll need to pay careful attention to what's going on under the bonnet, and you'll need ECU upgrades as well. Exhaust, cams, smaller pulleys, upgraded intercooler, oil catch cans, magic potions--you name it. But then you start talking about thousands more, and eventually you'll get to the 200 hp mark.

So, that's my take on all of these. Hopefully, more experienced folks'll chime in here! :smile:

Old 06-18-2005, 05:56 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
The HP rating of 210 is BHP, not wheel HP.

Old 06-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a look at my mod journey...

It can really add up, or not if you are careful. See this thread for the whole sordid story......
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=45298

Matt

Old 06-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Johnny L
4th Gear
Yup, that's right. Anybody know of any JCW dynos???

I'm guessing about 200ish at the wheels?

Originally Posted by mikem53
The HP rating of 210 is BHP, not wheel HP.

Old 06-18-2005, 11:14 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most consider the Mini to loose 11-12% in the driveline

Originally Posted by Johnny L
Yup, that's right. Anybody know of any JCW dynos???

I'm guessing about 200ish at the wheels?
That would place them around 190 WHP.

Matt