1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotate tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 07:40 AM
spav
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahamos
There's another reason, too: run-flats offer you false hope. If your tire blows, will you notice it? When my right front tire went flat, all I knew was that the car was pulling to the right. It took miles before the TPMS light came on, and I was destroying that run-flat the whole time.

So, yes, the run-flat kept me in business for a day, but now it's useless. Whoop-dee do. I don't know if it's a local law, but around here you can't replace just one run-flat: you have to replace all 4 at once. That's an extremely expensive flat tire (~$1000) for the privilege of driving on the sidewalls for one day.

And if you have run-flats, why do you need a spare? Why did MINI see fit to put a donut on the Cooper?
I think your tire place was trying to take you for a ride so to speak. There are a lot of places that seem to be really stupid about run-flats and apparently think the consumers who has them are also dumb. Run-flats are just tires with enhanced sidewalls. Some cars have a wireless TPMS, MINIs do not. The flat-tire indicator uses the ABS system to monitor the wheels for a difference in rotation. It does not know if the tire has lost 5psi in pressure. In order for that system to work properly you need to reset the Flat Tire monitor everytime you top off the pressure so the system can recalibrate itself. If your tire light came on after miles (3 miles or 50 miles, you didn't say), that might be how long the tire took to deform enough to set off the monitor at its current calibration level. I can't say that I've experienced how this works yet.

That and the non-S coopers have donuts because they come with 15" regular tires normally. The sport package gets you run-flats, but why remove the donut if it's part of the package anyway? That and it makes "upgrading" to standard tires easier if you have a spare, since you get that peace of mind.