1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The newbe

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 06:35 PM
GRAY WOLF
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The newbe

:smile: Hi everyone , I've never posted a thread before, so here goes. Last year I ordered a 2004 MCS using the build your own on MiniUSA web site. My dealer took my order and said it would be about 8 weeks. No problem, 6 weeks it was here. I was like a kid in a candy store. This is what I ordered. Dark silver with black roof and mirror's. premium package (less the sunroof), cold weather package, sport package, Multifunction steering wheel with Audio controls, anthracite trim, rain sensing wipers, rear fog lamps, NAV system, H/K upgrade system, panther black gravity leather interior ( which turned out to be dark gray, which I was very happy with) Had some custom stripping done at the dealership before taking my new baby home. Well, My car is just over a year old now, three weeks ago I had the John Cooper Works package installed, break in done now, WOW what a rocket this little car is. Enough about me now, I've read many threads with people having issues with their cars. Most of my life I've been a mechanic. Many years cars, now jet engines. I hope I can help anyone with an issue with their car. I may have some answers but do not promise to have them all. This is why I chose to join northamericanmotoring. To help my fellow Mini owners any way I can. And to be a friend. You folks have a good day.

Old 06-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Dr Evil
2nd Gear
Welcome... I'm pretty new too but so far this seems like a great community

how do you like the JCW?

Old 06-26-2005, 01:28 AM
BBoy
3rd Gear
Jamer,
That's awesome! Where are you located? I don't have my MINI yet, but once I do, I'm sure I'll come up with some questions (hopfully not about problems, but rather how different parts work ).

-BBoy

Old 06-26-2005, 02:17 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Jamer,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.
Great to hear from you and excellent on your JCW kit install.
Now you've completed the break in you are FREE to motor!

Couple of things that might be good.

Driving school with your MINI.
Non runflat tires. Something decently good- talk to Alex@tirerack.com when ready. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or even Avon Tech M500 or M550 might do the trick.

Have fun, but not TOO much fun.

Old 07-30-2005, 04:19 PM
GRAY WOLF
Neutral
Originally Posted by BBoy
Jamer,
That's awesome! Where are you located? I don't have my MINI yet, but once I do, I'm sure I'll come up with some questions (hopfully not about problems, but rather how different parts work ).

-BBoy
Hello BBoy, Sorry I have not responded sooner , but I've been out of the USA on business. To your first question I live in Warner Robins, GA. You did not say which type of Mini you were getting? The S type I hope. Follow the owners manual on break-in ! But do push it to those limits. On cold starts, and until the temp gauge shows warm, (in my case oil temp. no water temp gauge with NAV system) Drive it to those limits. After break-in I strongly suggest you change the oil and filter. If your dealer tells it is not required per your change indicator, tell that person you want it changed anyway, filter included. Have them show you the removed filter. You may (in my case found some minor break-in stuff). The reason I know this is I change my own oil, (easy). Any details you need, please contact me, more than happy to help.:smile:

Old 07-30-2005, 04:22 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome Jamer and thank you for the offer

Old 07-30-2005, 04:48 PM
ZenMINI3
2nd Gear
Jamer, welcome man I'm still pretty around here and I dig it! Hope you do to! I have just a few more days till my new MCS is here and I honestly I don't now how I've lasted this long. I'll keep you in mind when questions arise. Motor On!

Edit: pretty NEW

Old 07-30-2005, 05:00 PM
GRAY WOLF
Neutral
Originally Posted by minihune
Jamer,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.
Great to hear from you and excellent on your JCW kit install.
Now you've completed the break in you are FREE to motor!

Couple of things that might be good.

Driving school with your MINI.
Non runflat tires. Something decently good- talk to Alex@tirerack.com when ready. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or even Avon Tech M500 or M550 might do the trick.

Have fun, but not TOO much fun.
Hi minihune, Sorry for not responding sooner, but I have been out of the US for a bit. About driving school, I am always open to more. I have a background of empty parking lot mall racing.(legal of course) I have not pushed my Mini to the limit but it will happen soon. The DSC light has filckered a bit on some corners. Soon I will take it to a place that is safe for other and find it's limits in handling. I'm one of those lucky people that can feel what the car is doing by the seat-of-pants-feel. :smile: I'd like to hear from you. Thanks, jamer

Old 07-30-2005, 05:12 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jamer
Hi minihune, Sorry for not responding sooner, but I have been out of the US for a bit. About driving school, I am always open to more. I have a background of empty parking lot mall racing.(legal of course) I have not pushed my Mini to the limit but it will happen soon. The DSC light has filckered a bit on some corners. Soon I will take it to a place that is safe for other and find it's limits in handling. I'm one of those lucky people that can feel what the car is doing by the seat-of-pants-feel. :smile: I'd like to hear from you. Thanks, jamer
Jamer,

Driving schools are great. Ask around with your local BMW or MINI club to see what is available and how the instructors are- usually they are quite experienced and good. I usually try to do driving schools once or twice yearly. There is always much more to learn and it's good to get coaching and also good to see how the instructor drives your MINI with you in it.

DSC should be off whenever doing performance driving. It should be on when you driver on the street under normal circumstances. I leave mine on all the time except for track use, autocross and driving school.

I'd estimate that most of us drive our MINIs about at 30% of their performance capability almost all of the time. Even on the track or at autocross we aren't really taking the cars to their limit- it more we take the cars to a point limited by our present skill level.

Lets say at autocross you can drive your MINI and do a run in 60 seconds.
Then an instructor gets in your same car and with you in it (now heavy with two people), he does the same course in 3 seconds faster. Could a more experienced MINI driver do even better? Probably, since your instructor doesn't get to drive MINIs as much, he did well but could do better with more practice.

Ultimately the reason for improving your driving skill is so that you can drive your MINI at a level closer to it's full performance design.

Old 07-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, Jamer! I have an 04 MCS with the JCW 210 and it is a hoot. The little devils run good, huh! Enjoy your ride!