1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the Call!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 06:18 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the Call!!!

Our MA just called yesterday, our name came up on the waiting list - we're clear to go in and order our new MCSC. Not 100% certain on options yet, but it looks like this is the main part of the order:

'05 MCSCa, Cool Blue, Blue top, Blue Leather, Cool Blue interior trim (didn't think I'd like it that much, but it looks FANTASTIC in the sunlight with the top down!!) Probably going with all four packages (mama spends a LOT of time in the car) and we're still debating the Nav system - we have it in our current MINI and like it, but man - $1700?? Ain't cheap. But if we don't get the Nav, we'll go with the chrono pack - we got used to the speedo and tach living together on the steering column.

So it looks like Friday is the order date; we should still have some good late season top-down motoring days here in Colorado by the time he comes in!! Woohoo!!

Old 06-26-2005, 06:21 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Oh, and along those lines, we'll probably have a nice clean DS/B MCS for sale sometime in Sep/Oct if there's anyone in Colorado looking for one!!

It'll be in the Marketplace forum when the time gets closer, but any of you Front Range motorers might be interested before then, well, let us know. . .

Old 06-26-2005, 10:01 AM
BBoy
3rd Gear
Sweet! I'd say get the Nav. Yes it costs a bit more but that cost will outweigh the regret you'll feel if you don't get it. It'd cost WAY more to add it later (I don't even know if it's possible to).

Old 06-26-2005, 01:01 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
go with the nav, I did not get it, however I regret it. Next one will definetly have it.

Old 06-26-2005, 04:54 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
I know - we were talking about that - we have nav in our '04 and in our Pilot, and we don't use it all the time, but when you DO need it, well. . .worth the $$.

I'd considered getting a windshield mount unit that we could move from car to car, but then I'd worry about stopping for gas or munchies, having someone ****** and grab. . .and the MINI ain't really known for the excess room in the cockpit, either.

Probably gonna just suck it up and get it. :smile:

Old 06-26-2005, 06:18 PM
gbsher
2nd Gear
Fantastic car... You getting stripes?

Old 06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
svkmini
1st Gear
I was considering geting the NAV when I placed my order but didn't for the following reasons:

1) You lose the center mounted spedo which I feel is a signature feature of the MINI
2) The NAV is way overpriced for what it is. Stop by your Acura dealer and take a look at their NAV. The MINI NAV is an obviously dated design. I think it may be the old/original BMW NAV.

Old 06-26-2005, 07:01 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by svkmini
I was considering geting the NAV when I placed my order but didn't for the following reasons:

1) You lose the center mounted spedo which I feel is a signature feature of the MINI
I agree... which is why I didn't get the chrono option either... I wanted the gauges, but didn't want to spoil the classic look of the center speedo...

Old 06-27-2005, 11:19 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsher
Fantastic car... You getting stripes?
Not factory, no - don't really care for the black or white, I've already contacted aftermarket vendors about getting some in dark blue with silver pinstripes to set it off. But I DO think the Cool Blue needs SOMETHING on the bonnet. . .

Edit: Found some stripes I like. . .probably gonna order a variation of these:

Old 06-27-2005, 11:26 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by svkmini

2) The NAV is way overpriced for what it is. Stop by your Acura dealer and take a look at their NAV. The MINI NAV is an obviously dated design. I think it may be the old/original BMW NAV.
Well, personally, I'm not too fond of the center speedo - I know it's a classic design feature, but it's one that I don't really subscribe to. Jeeps used to have center speedos, too, but they quit doing that back in the 80's if I recall. Now who has the center speedos? Scion, Saturn, Toyota, maybe a few others. I prefer having my speedo and tach close together so I can read 'em at a glance without having to look all over the dash.

I agree that the Nav is an outdated design - I MUCH prefer the touchscreen and **** design of the Honda nav, but after having the MINI nav for about 6 months now, I've made my peace with it. In fact, there are some things I like BETTER about the MINI nav. It recalcs a LOT faster than the Honda/Acura unit, I've noticed less routing errors, and once you figure out how to find an address you're looking for, it's not THAT tough to input it. If there was a way to combine the best features of the two, you'd have a great system. . .

So, we'll probably get the nav in the new MINI since we're used to it already, and we're also used to the tach/speedo location. I'll probably spec the chrono pack on my next MINI next year just to keep the instruments in the 'correct' location!

Old 06-29-2005, 04:40 PM
jgs1564
Neutral
Hood Stripes

HI UUNetBill:

Where did you find a vendor that can do the stripes in dark blue? I placed an order for an MCC, Cool Blue, Blue Top, All 4 Pkgs, Navi, Xenons, Rear Fog, Cool Blue interior trim. I definitely agree that different color stripes will look great on the Cool Blue.

JGS

Old 07-03-2005, 03:54 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
JGS - just about any of the vendors can do the stripes in any color you want - the tough part is getting something that matches what you want on yours. . .even tougher for us, cuz I'm probably gonna pull the mirror caps and have them painted to match. So that's the Cool Blue, dark blue top, dark blue stripes, and dark blue mirrors. . .might be tough to pull it all together. . .we'll see, though!