1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird color combo? MCSC PS/G

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:51 PM
dhagberg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird color combo? MCSC PS/G

Hi all,

My number just came up yesterday to put in my order for my "MG Midget replacement" -- a Cooper S Convertible. I'm really psyched to get this car, but now the really difficult decisions need to be made... like colors.

I'm fairly sure I want the Pure Silver body color w/the silver interior -- light color for our sunny climate, easy to keep looking clean, etc. But now, the top. The obvious combination is the black top. Looks pretty classy but maybe a bit boring.

I've almost talked myself into the Green top, adding some custom matching green racing stripes on the bonnet & the boot. It would honor my old MG (British Racing Green) and be a bit distinctive. I've played around on the website and even worked with one of the vendors here on a mock-up of the stripes (on a hard-top though).

But it could also be a bit too weird. The folks at Ralph Schomp in Denver say they've only seen *1* green top convertible so far and it's lighter than what shows up on the website. Some days it seems like a cool idea, other days I think it's whacky.

So, I figure I'll toss this combo out here on this website and take a poll. Thumbs up or down?

Attached Thumbnails Weird color combo? MCSC PS/G-silver-green-top.jpg  
Old 06-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
I could see it with DS, but not PS.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
dhagberg, I love your idea of the green ragtop with the Pure Silver Cabrio!! With the green bonnet (and boot?) stripes, you will have a very special MINI! Go with your instincts!

Clover

Old 06-27-2005, 11:08 PM
VRBeauty
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget that any MINI also has many large areas of black--in the pillars and body trim--so you'll really be working with three colors, not two. It might look a little busy....

Old 06-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
I think it might look good, the black should work well with the green as long as the green is dark enough. If the green is a brighter green I wouldnt do it. For me I would want the green to make a very subtle "different" statement without saying LOOK I HAVE A GREEN TOP

You could also have matching green piping done on the interior if you really wanted to do something different.

British cars are all about being odd and unique anyway so if YOU like it go for it !

Old 06-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Lareina
1st Gear
My two cents?

Too weird for my taste! I could handle the silver with the blue top and the blue/black interior, since those colors work well together, but silver and green don't work for me.

But hey, it's YOUR car!

Old 06-28-2005, 07:20 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
I think it would rock.

These cars are weird, to begin with. What's wrong with eschewing the norm?

The bonnet stripes would really tie it up nicely.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:15 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
i love the idea of having green top, but not with silver. you really have to love it, otherwise will get sick of it pretty soon. that's my idea, you will be driving the car. if you get it, after delivery post some pics, i might be wrong.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:24 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
PS/GN will work if you continue silver stripes across the green roof. Use British racing green. There is a "light weight" Jag racer that uses similar theme. BTW...PS/BK is not boring

Old 06-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Pteri
3rd Gear
I think that is a gorgeous combination and one I seriously considered before getting BRG with the green top. Green and grey (silver) is an unusual and beautiful match, particularly if you live anywhere with foliage and fog, like we have here in Northern California.

The PS with the bonnet stripes would be great. I just added a frost (silver) bonnet stripe over the BRG paint and it's fab.

Let us know what you decide!

Old 06-28-2005, 02:26 PM
dhagberg
1st Gear
Jaguar examples

Here are a couple sharp-looking Jaguar examples for reference. It looks like a set of "fat" BRG stripes or a single one down the middle would be pretty cool:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-Jag...-Roadsters.htm

http://www.jaguarusa.com/us/en/compa...ans-Am_XKR.htm

Looks like the thumbs-up vs. down contingents are about 50/50...

Old 06-28-2005, 02:42 PM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Go for it!

Pure Silver/Green would definitely fit the British tradition. My only concern would be the match with the black trim because the black top matches perfectly. That said, I think it would look good and the green strips are a must, maybe even continuing them down the boot.

Mike