1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hiding MINI from coworkers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 06:26 PM
ururk
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hiding MINI from coworkers...

Well, I've got a MINI on order, but only two coworkers know about it. The rest of my office knows that I've been looking for a used car, but I stopped talking about that for a long time. To avoid the obvious, "What did you decide," I've put up a smokescreen:

http://www.ururk.com/index.php?p=57

There is this white Scion xB at our place of work, and depending on the angle it either looks really cool, or really dumb. Overall, if there wasn't a MINI, I might have seriously considered one (yeah, tragic). The rest of my coworkers detest the car. So I'm driving to a client meeting, and I say to the unsuspecting coworker, "Hey, I've seriously been thinking about the xB. Maybe gray, with a lightning/electric bolt graphic." She was mortified.

So, they occasionally check my site (though I don't update as often as I should), I stuck this image up. :D I wonder how they'll react.

(Why am I posting this? Because the suspense is too much...)

Old 06-28-2005, 06:45 PM
driver centric
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive an xB now, they're pretty good cars. But still, I can't wait to get a Mini.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Johnny L
4th Gear
Hey, Centric!

I was the same way. I kept quiet because I didn't want anyone else beating me to it. I work at a prison, and one day I saw a Purple Haze MCSa parked in our lot--a month before I was to take delivery of my MINI! I thought I would have been the first!!! Well, it turns out the, PH MCSa belonged to a volunteer, and not a regular staff person of the prison.
So, in my mind, I was the first to have a MINI at our site! :smile:

Let us know what your co-workers think when they finally see your new car!

Old 06-29-2005, 04:46 AM
Nvadrs
1st Gear
I hate to admit it but, I ordered my MCS Conv because one of my employees got a MC! Actually she told me the automatics were available and I just turned in a '02 Z3 2.5 last May. So I test drove it the next day and ordered it.

When I originally got the Z3 I didn't tell my employees or drive it to work for 6 months - didn't want everyone to think my car was more important than their raises or profit sharing.

Since I ordered my Mini, I made sure everyone knew what I was getting so I could start driving it everyday without guilt :smile:
So far everyone thinks it's "cute" the owner will be driving a Mini!

Old 06-29-2005, 05:14 AM
soofle
3rd Gear
Heh, being wwaaaaayyyyy out here in big three land (michigan just west of detroit) There aren't a lot of MINI's to begin with, though they are definetly getting more popular here as people finally start realizing that american cars are not the end all wonderful vehicles that ford, gm, and chrysler would have us all believe. I am the first, and so far only mini at my work, and while I am the second mini on campus, the other one is off in some other state doing her internship when im on campus, and on campus when im off doing my internship, so technically, im the first mini on campus (during my section ) At any rate, Im the first grb mini on campus so woohoo for me

Old 06-29-2005, 05:24 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by driver centric
I drive an xB now, they're pretty good cars. But still, I can't wait to get a Mini.
I bought an xB as a beater car when I owned my Z06. It's really a very good car. It handles well, there is lots of room, I have never gotten less than 31mpg city! But its not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.
I might keep it around because of its utility and mileage... will see how the mini does.. its almost here.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:55 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by driver centric
I think the best thing would be to have an xB and a MINI. That way, you could have the fun sporty car, and the box it came in!

Old 06-29-2005, 11:05 AM
ururk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by UUNetBill
I think the best thing would be to have an xB and a MINI. That way, you could have the fun sporty car, and the box it came in!

Old 06-29-2005, 11:11 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I have to rememeber that quote.

I didn't want to tell my coworkers when I ordered my 2nd MINI. I mean after all I went from a striped down MC CVT to a fully loaded MCSa

Old 06-29-2005, 12:38 PM
driver centric
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mikem53
I bought an xB as a beater car when I owned my Z06. It's really a very good car. It handles well, there is lots of room, I have never gotten less than 31mpg city! But its not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination.
I might keep it around because of its utility and mileage... will see how the mini does.. its almost here.
I agree, it is a good car. I've never had any problems with it and it performs well for what it is. I'm just looking for something with more power and features. I don't know if I'll be getting rid of the xB or hanging into it.

Hahaha, I was actually trying to sell it. But my mom, who initially was iffy about the car, has grown attatched to it. "I like that box," she says. So I'm saving now for a Mini and the xB might stick around actually.

My xB:

Old 06-29-2005, 12:42 PM
sorsha6
3rd Gear
the other day i saw a white xb and in my humble opinion it looked like a really ugly ice cream truck...
on the other hand i've seen black ones that are pretty hot from a certain angle.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:38 PM
ururk
5th Gear
I think the xB has it's good and bad angles. I'd have gotten one if the thing had been higher off the ground (OK, the MINI might be the same there), but the xB looks like a low rider. I don't really like low riders.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:38 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
I have to admit, I really liked the Honda Element when it came out - quirky styling, easy to clean the grunge out of the interior, fairly economical, and, well, it was a Honda.

All kidding aside, I like the xB, too, for what it is. . .it's just not for me at this point in my life.

Cars in general are like the MINI - if it works for ya, go for it!!

Old 06-29-2005, 04:20 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I really disliked the xB when I first saw pix of it, but when 2minis bought one and took YuccaPatrol and I for a few spins in his, I discovered that it was cute and fun, in an ugly-duckling kinda way! I still laugh whenever I see that "pouty lower lip" front bumper! So funny!

It looks like my '88 Isuzu Trooper's kid-sister!

Clover

Old 06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
minihoopercooper
3rd Gear
i couldn't wait to tell everyone i knew about going to test drive a mini............ little did i know i'd come home with one that same day! and then i couldn't wait to show it off - kinda like the mini shirt "i've got one and you don't" ya know

Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
We are going to pick up our black cherry xB tomorrow. Since he drives an Evo and i have the MINI, we wanted a car that we could miles on and it wouldn't tear us up (especially since we've been taking alot of trips recently and my MCS that I got in February already has 12,000 miles on it . Plus, we had a truck that we haven't been using much and pretty much everyone in my family is less than an hour away and they all have trucks, so we decided to trade it in for the xB. When it first came out i thought it was one of the silliest looking things on the road, but it has grown on me over time and we were quite impressed by it during the test drive and with the combination of interesting looks, lots of interior room, standard equipment that you have to pay extra for with other cars in this price range (power windows, AC - I can't believe that this stuff doesn't come standard on everyhing anymore, but you'd be amazed if you looked around ) and the low cost, we couldn't find anything to beat it for what we wanted

Old 06-29-2005, 04:51 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MandaBoo
We are going to pick up our black cherry xB tomorrow. Since he drives an Evo and i have the MINI, we wanted a car that we could miles on and it wouldn't tear us up (especially since we've been taking alot of trips recently and my MCS that I got in February already has 12,000 miles on it . Plus, we had a truck that we haven't been using much and pretty much everyone in my family is less than an hour away and they all have trucks, so we decided to trade it in for the xB. When it first came out i thought it was one of the silliest looking things on the road, but it has grown on me over time and we were quite impressed by it during the test drive and with the combination of interesting looks, lots of interior room, standard equipment that you have to pay extra for with other cars in this price range (power windows, AC - I can't believe that this stuff doesn't come standard on everyhing anymore, but you'd be amazed if you looked around ) and the low cost, we couldn't find anything to beat it for what we wanted
Please post pix in the Off Topic :: Autos forum, (or I guess in this thread), when you can, MandaBoo! I'd love to see your new xB!

Clover

Old 06-29-2005, 06:44 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
When I first got my xB, my neighbor asked me when I was going to take it out of the box... I might keep the xB..... it really is quite useful.. will see