1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering MCSC, what to do with MG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 10:42 PM
dhagberg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering MCSC, what to do with MG?

So I got the call from Ralph Schomp the other day that I can come in and order by MCSC. I've finally decided after agonizing over & mocking up a Pure Silver w/the Green top -- the green top is just not dark enough. So here's what I'm going with:

MCSC PS/B, Cold Weather, DSC, std 16" 7-fin perf (will try to talk dealer into doing an all-season swap), 6sp, space gray seats, silver interior, chrono pack, multifunction wheel. Pretty well stripped down to try and fit the budget, leaving room for adding on fun stuff later :smile:.

Then, I'm planning to add nice dark BRG "fat" stripes on the bonnet & boot to make it a bit unique. I figure committing to green stripes is a lot less commitment than a green factory top...

Now the really difficult decision. I've got a '76 MG Midget, painted BRG that I've had for over 20 years now. I've put a *lot* of work into it over the years -- rebuilding the engine, gutting every last lucas-infected wire in the car & replacing it with a GM/Hotrod wiring harness, yada yada. It's a fun little car but I've actually become less fond of it over the years -- really does not feel very safe, doesn't have much power, and I really don't enjoy working on it all that much. It's been pretty reliable for the past couple years, even as a near-daily driver back and forth to work (on good days).

But we only have a 2-car garage and a tiny, tiny lot w/no extra room (and the new Mini's definitely going in the garage).

I'd like to sell it -- I think it would make some MG geek (a non-concours/purist type) really happy. But I think my folks are more attached to the car than I am -- especially since they stored it for me for 12 years... But I think that would cause major family strife. For some nutty reason they want to see it "stay in the family" and get passed down thru the generations . I just don't see that happening or, really, the purpose in it -- it's not a very collectible car (value-wise) like an older Sprite or Healey or even older pre-emissions chrome bumper cars.

So I think my choices are:
1. Sell it and deal with the familial consequences
2. Sell it and just tell them "it's in storage"
3. Really do put it in storage
4. Pay the $1.5k+ to ship it back to them to store in their own place

I know this is definitely the site to go for opinions -- not always answers, but definitely lots of opinions. Sooooooo..... Bring 'em on!

-=- D. J.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:44 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
5. You could give it to me. I'll take care of it for you. After all, at NAM, we're all like family. :smile:

Old 06-29-2005, 11:38 PM
vm
4th Gear
Please, post pics.

I recommend you to pay the $1.5k+ to ship it back to them. Afterwards you spent a lot of time with the car, and have a nice family history to pass trough generations.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:40 AM
nightbirdflyin
2nd Gear
I had a 75 B.
Loved that car.

My vote is for option 4.
Would it be possible, and maybe cheaper, to drive it and fly back?

Old 06-30-2005, 01:06 PM
neilgj
4th Gear
They gave you the car. They really wanted you to have it. Let them know that you really appreciated it. That you loved the car. Now you have a new car and you don't have room for the MG. Ask them if they would be so kind as to keep it for you until you can accomodate it again. Offer to pay for the shipping and storage. Thank them again.

Option 4. Diplomatically presented with love and respect.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 PM
sideshowblah
Neutral
sounds like a great time for a road trip. if your parents will keep it, what better way for you to say goodbye to your MG than one last road trip. & then a flight home or better yet have someone follow you there in your new MINI and you get 2 road trips - MG out & MINI back. and you sandwich in a visit with your parents for good measure.

if you decide to ship it, you might want to talk with your MINI dealer and see if they can help you find a reputable transport for your car. if they sell used cars at all, they probably use those companies all the time and might be able to save you a few bucks.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:35 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dhagberg
So I got the call from Ralph Schomp the other day that I can come in and order by MCSC. I've finally decided after agonizing over & mocking up a Pure Silver w/the Green top -- the green top is just not dark enough. So here's what I'm going with:
DJ - who's your MA and when are you going up to order? I might see you there - we got the call from Schomp, too, to order OUR MCSC - we're going blue instead of silver. . .

Oh, and are you in Denver metro or somewhere outlying? We're in COS. . .

BP

PS - if you want, you could give the MG to ME instead - I've had MGs before and know how to talk to 'em on those cold damp nights. . .

(Sorry Neil!)