1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:54 PM
jgs1564
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodbye

It looks like this will be my last post to this website. Unfortunately, do to the terrible service I have continued to receive at the local So Cal MINI dealer where I ordered my car, I cancelled my order this morning. I'm not going to name the dealership but I do want to say that this was absolutely the worst experience I have ever had when buying a new car - and I have bought/leased several new cars over the past few years. I'm talking about a sales manager that would return any phone calls and would tell me he would call me back and that wouldn't do so. Also, I couldn't get this person to commit to a solid lease agreement in writing. He easily accepted my $1K deposit but didn't want to commit to a deal in writing. Well, I know I can "ramble on" hear but I don't want to do so. Let's just say that this dealership made me feel like they were doing ME a favor selling me a car, NOT the other way around!! After much thought and consideration, I have decided that I am no longer interested in leasing a MINI and probably will not do so for the forseable future.

I want to thank everyone on the board for their helpful input and feedback. It is very much appreciated. And good luck to all.

JGS

Old 06-30-2005, 03:57 PM
MiniRiderBill
2nd Gear
One bad apple.

Hey man it's your decision. Just don't let the bastards among us make you loose the faith. We'll be here if you decide to return. Till then happy Motoring.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:05 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Sorry about your problem. If you love the MINI you could get it from another dealer couldn't you? Maybe they did such a lousy job that they turned you off to the MINI and I am very sorry to hear that.

Good luck with what ever way you go.

Earl

Old 06-30-2005, 04:33 PM
MI MINI S
3rd Gear
JGS:
Give Julie at Classic MINI in Cleveland a call, she will treat you right.
Classic MINI is offering a $500 coupon on any of our in-stock demo's*! We have available Coopers and Cooper Convertibles! Call 800.388.1098 or email julie@driveclassic.com or mkost@driveclassic.com today for details!
Dave S.
MI MINI S
Bedford, OH

Old 06-30-2005, 04:39 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Sorry

It's a shame this has happened.

It's a reflection of poor business management.

Send a letter to the General manager of this dealership and tell them about it and when enough people complain then maybe something will be done.

Whatever you do, don't buy or lease a Malibu- I've got one today as a rental and while it is nice and cushy, it just makes me MISS my MINI even more. Good thing I go back home in a few hours and can enjoy the ride before I black out from withdrawal.

Hey, maybe later on you can do business with a different dealer or buy a used MINI.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:40 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like some pretty shady/questionable dealings to me. I agree though, if you really, REALLY want a MINI there are lots of other good way to go about it. People do it all the time! Don't let anybody ruin your motoring fun!!!!

Old 06-30-2005, 04:43 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not name the dealership? Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:51 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
JGS,

I agree that a letter should be sent to the General Manager of the offending MINI Dealership along with a copy sent to MINIUSA Customer Relations.

There is simply no excuse for such unprofessional behavior, particularly when they accepted your $1,000 deposit.

Don't let this one dealership turn you off to the MINI. Many enthusiasts have gotten creative and gone out-of-state to purchase their MINIs. In addition to checking out Classic MINI's options, why not contact Murray in Salt Lake City, UT? That isn't too far away, and you'd have a lovely break-in ride motoring home.

Best wishes to you whichever route you take.

Cheers!

Clover

Old 06-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Goose
3rd Gear
Sounds like the same situation I've experienced (admittedly to a lesser extent). Unfortunately, the MINI is still a high-demand/low-supply product; as such, those that are selling them can be unpleasant. There are exceptions to this statement, of course.

I understand your frustration.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:54 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Bad experience with dealer

FWIW - I attempted to order a 2005 or 2006 Cooper from several dealers in So. Calif. So. Bay Mini in Torrance was completely cooperative in not only letting me order a 2006, but agreeing (in writing) that it would be at MSRP and that I could change my mind at any time and receive a refund of my $1K deposit. Naturally they couldn't tell me with certainty what the MSRP increase for a 2006 might be, and I don't know that you can negotiate a specific, to the dollar lease payment unless you know the money factor (i.e. interest rate), but if you really like the car, you might want to give a call to Freddie at So. Bay Mini. Believe the number is 310 939 7300.

Old 07-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
go elsewhere

mini of pgh, pa offers free shipping-cleveland is dealing, i ordered CALVIN from towne, in buffalo, ny after a freind had goood dealings with them. CALVIN is through production and waiting to be shipped to new york-I am not yet sure if i am flying in and driving it home or shipping it, but the the PURCHASE COULD NOT HAVE BEEN SMOOTHER!! I have spent my life in the car business and there is no excuse for some of the stories i hear from local socal dealers-after bob smith let me "simmer" for 3 days after telling them i would not pay anickel over msrp, they called to tell me they would lower the "over msrp" mark up from 3k to 2k over sticker!! I told the ma she was very nice and i would love to buy a car from her, but since her dealer principal is a rich, getting richer by gouging local customers type of owner, i would spend my money out of state. on a side note, i took a friends 04MCS there for service and the service advisor couldnt have been nicer, service was done quickly and the sa told me she was looking forward to helping me with CALVIN once he gets here. i would just get my deposit back and go elsewhere!! the car is worth it!

Old 07-01-2005, 06:36 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Hey, Scott......(off-topic here).......considering the price of fuel, it may actually be worth it to have your MINI shipped to you! Just a suggestion....

When you factor in fuel, lodging, and meals, the shipping option begins to sound attractive, ALTHOUGH there is nothing quite as fine as flying east and motoring back in your new baby!

Clover

Old 07-01-2005, 06:49 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Just be sure your not cutting off your nose to spite your face. You might want to buy from another dealer or out of state. If its the car you want, its worth trying other avenues... or maybe you decided its not the car for you...
Good luck...

Old 07-01-2005, 07:30 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minihune
Send a letter to the General manager of this dealership and tell them about it and when enough people complain then maybe something will be done.
That's not going to help. Management is perfectly happy to lose a few customers here or there since there are so many morons STILL lining up to pay more than MSRP for Minis.

Unfortunately, the lousy service appears to be endemic to BMW and Mini dealers in Southern CA and BMWNA couldn't care less as long as the dealers meet their numbers.

I have to agree with the poster. BMW has absolutely the worst attitude about customer satisfaction that I have ever seen in my many years of car ownership. It's a very myopic business practice and one of these years they will suffer the consequences.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
o-t reply

it does appear it will cost me more to fly and drive than shipping-but-as you mentioned, the cross country trip is soooooo tempting. we will see what the next month brings. cant wait, either way, im reallys tarting to get excited!

Old 07-01-2005, 08:52 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by stage1scott
it does appear it will cost me more to fly and drive than shipping-but-as you mentioned, the cross country trip is soooooo tempting. we will see what the next month brings. cant wait, either way, im reallys tarting to get excited!
It really IS so exciting once you dive in....enjoy the nutty process!

Clover

Old 07-03-2005, 11:03 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jgs1564
It looks like this will be my last post to this website. Unfortunately, do to the terrible service I have continued to receive at the local So Cal MINI dealer where I ordered my car, I cancelled my order this morning. I'm not going to name the dealership but I do want to say that this was absolutely the worst experience I have ever had when buying a new car - and I have bought/leased several new cars over the past few years. I'm talking about a sales manager that would return any phone calls and would tell me he would call me back and that wouldn't do so. Also, I couldn't get this person to commit to a solid lease agreement in writing. He easily accepted my $1K deposit but didn't want to commit to a deal in writing. Well, I know I can "ramble on" hear but I don't want to do so. Let's just say that this dealership made me feel like they were doing ME a favor selling me a car, NOT the other way around!! After much thought and consideration, I have decided that I am no longer interested in leasing a MINI and probably will not do so for the forseable future.

I want to thank everyone on the board for their helpful input and feedback. It is very much appreciated. And good luck to all.

JGS
good luck, I would not let them back me out from buying a Mini, go somewhere else

Old 07-04-2005, 07:44 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Perhaps some of the West Coast dealers are less responsive because the demand is still strong. Sales staff at my local MINI dealer ignored me every time I visited and even the BMW sales person I know there told me their MINI staff are snobs. And because (at that time) every dealer I called charged a markup I went north and got a salesman who took my deposit, but was reluctant to provide much information or take down my order for options ("Way too early to do that", said he). Thanks to a NAM member I got my deposit back and ordered my car through Julie at Classic in Ohio. She was very responsive. My car was trucked to California with 6 others and I got to meet nice NAM members (newbies and vets) when I picked it up. Now I have a MINI to drive instead of some ordinary car. So I hope you are following your thread and considering going through another dealer. Or good luck with your alternate choice. I admit there are one or two other cars that tempted me--less nift, but other bennies.

Old 07-04-2005, 08:09 AM
jbs111
4th Gear
Another vote for Southbay Mini

I would highly recommend SouthBay Mini in Torrance.
I purchased our first mini from, well a dealership about 47 miles south of Torrance, right off the 405. They were ok, but made one feel lucky to be purchasing from them.

Our second Mini was ordered through SouthBay and we are just about to take delivery (car is currently at the VDC in Oxnard). Southbay is no pressure, straight MSRP and very responsive to calls and emails. Our MA is Jamie. She is FANTASTIC

If you want to reconsider, give Southbay a whirl.

JB