1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dealers in Texas - better deals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 07:57 PM
sillyvibe
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car dealers in Texas - better deals?

For those of you who got your car in Texas (preferably in Houston), which dealer had the best service and deals. A friend of mine mentioned one in Dallas, and another in San Antonio, but I'm worried if there's something wrong, I would have to drive all the way over there to get it maintenance. In additon, he said that those dealers will throw extra freebies. What's your input? I went to the Momentum dealer and he didn't mention any freebies to me, just the MSRP price.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:05 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moritz MINI in Arlington (nice "little" town between Dallas and Fort Worth ) is top notch, although I bought my MINI just before they opened at John Roberts MINI, now MINI of Dallas. Not sure about freebees at Moritz, but good solid sales and service. Nice folks, too. My opinion only...best in D/FW!

Old 07-02-2005, 05:11 AM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sillyvibe
I went to the Momentum dealer and he didn't mention any freebies to me, just the MSRP price.
Remember, his job is to "not" give things away. Your job is to negotiate "freebies" and not pay over list.

Have you been to MINI of the Woodlands yet? You might want to visit both and see which one gives you the best "vibe." If you decide to stray further from home, I'd certainly try Moritz in Arlington. Heck, call Graham at P&W in Pittsburgh, PA. I've bought MINIs from both and they are great dealers.

Where ever you buy, your local dealers have to perform scheduled maintenance and warranty repairs. They may have "perks" for sales customers like free loaners or a shuttle van, but they have to support the car.

Let us kow how your quest progresses.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:18 AM
jggonzalez
3rd Gear
I bought my MC at MiniCenter in San Antonio. If you go there ask for Susie Clarke. She's been very patient at answering my questions. I asked her about freebies and she said she'd look around and see what she can find. My car arrives in August, so I'll post back after I pick it up.

Old 07-02-2005, 08:50 AM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
There's a lot of content regarding this at www.metroplexmini.org. Here's my two cents worth on the Dallas area dealers:

MINI of Dallas: Owned by Auto Nation.

Great sales guys - they're very knowledgeable and pleasant, no pressure.

When you go to pick up the car, the finance people push you to get all kinds of extras - not that unusual but more pushy than I care for. They also insist you sign a legally binding arbitration agreement wherein you forfeit your rights to pursue legal remedies against the dealership for any reason. Naturally they don't present the form for you to sign until the end of the contract process. I consider this to be unreasonable and for that reason alone I will never purchase another car from them.

The parts department person, Patrick, is very knowledgeable and helpful.

The MINI of Dallas service department absolutely sucks. About one out of ten people I've spoken with has had an acceptable experience with them. In my own case I've had my car in there twice and both experiences were very unsatisfactory - and I'm being charitable in stating it that way.

The MINI of Dallas service department also quoted me one full hour of labor ($100) to activate the rear fog lamp. I checked with 15 other dealers across the country. Only one other dealership (also an Auto Nation dealer) gets this much - everyone else quoted 1/2 hour ($50).

It is worth noting that in the Houston area, MINI of the Woodlands is owned by Auto Nation. I am told they have the same policy regarding requiring buyers to sign an arbitration agreement,

Moritz MINI: Owned by the Moritz family. The facilities are noticeably better than MINI of Dallas (showroom, parts and service).

Sales people very knowledgeable and patient. Low key approach.

I'm told they don't require any arbitration agreement during the purchase process.

I have had one experience with the Moritz MINI service department. It is a night and day difference compared to MINI of Dallas. The service department manager (Bryan) is friendly, doesn't pull any BS. Took less than half the time to get an appointment with the service department as well, and when the work was done Bryan explained what had been done and why. I'm told they get about $50 for an oil change - MINI of Dallas gets $75.

The service department charged me $50 (1/2 hr labor) to activate the rear fog lamp.

If you purchase your MINI at Moritz they have a valet service to pick up and deliver your MINI if you need it serviced. The valet service is included throughout the DFW area.

Clearly I prefer Moritz MINI. Given the BS I've gone through trying to get service appointments at MINI of Dallas and the poor quality of service I've received there I really wish I'd bought my MINI at Moritz.

Best of luck to you!

/gary mc

Old 07-02-2005, 09:23 AM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
MINI of SAN ANTONIO

You may wanna see Suzie Clarke at Mini of San Antonio, she threw couple of things when I bought my Mini, nothing big but sealed the deal, very friendly, Alex is another salesperson that helped me, good guy, professional. Overall purchasing experience was good. I dealt with the finance director and she was a sweet-heart.

Service is good, they will take care of you. If you schedule your appointment ahead of time, everything runs smooth.

I would strongly suggest Mini San Antonio, especially Suzie and Alex

Old 07-02-2005, 12:06 PM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
I flew from Vegas to buy my MINI from Moritz, they are the best, others have follwed my advice with good results.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:47 PM
ski
2nd Gear
I purchased my mini from Moritz also and the experience was fine. I also like Brian in the service department. What I do not like is that where you take your car for service says BMW service and inside where you wait there is nothing to acknowledge mini cooper cars. Everything in the place is BMW. Moritz should do something about this as in my thinking it is unfriendly to Mini drivers. ski

Old 07-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ski
What I do not like is that where you take your car for service says BMW service and inside where you wait there is nothing to acknowledge mini cooper cars. Everything in the place is BMW. Moritz should do something about this as in my thinking it is unfriendly to Mini drivers. ski
You are right, not much MINI stuff in the service area and it is connected to the BMW sales area. Last time I was there, I struck up a conversation with one of the BMW sales people, and we went off for a drive in a Z-4. It didn't seem unfriendly to me . . . but, I love driving other people's cars . . . Bryan is as good a service advisor as I've ever known. When I get my next MINI it will be at Moritz.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:44 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ski
there is nothing to acknowledge mini cooper cars.
Good point, Ski...I never thought about it!!! I guess we're the cheeky cousins to all those more proper, stuffy types. I usually (as in always) just walk across to the Moritz MINI showroom. I have "friends" there who let me test drive anything I want (for good reason...I make referrals).

Once I was chatting w/ Bryan and the tech brought my car back so quick that I didn't have a chance to stop and visit the other MINIs. No problem...I just drove over anyway and had a glorious afternoon test driving variously configured carbios (I have friends who are asking my advise).

(Not to go OT, but did Bryan get his MCS yet? For someone who deals w/ MINIs day in and out, he sure was EXCITED!!!)

Old 07-02-2005, 10:23 PM
MacGuruTX
3rd Gear
We've purchased two Mini's from San Antonio. I had some issues getting my Sales Order straight pre and post delivery. I haven't been impressed with what the Service but they have changed Service Managers since the one time I was there.

We visited Momentum Mini prior to buying our cars in San Antonio, and felt like the Sales Mgr was rather aloof. At the time, I was looking for a convertible and put my name on their list, they actually refused to take money down. Interestingly they never bothered to call me either.

Truthfully, I don't think it matters much where you purchase as far as actual sales go. They are still sticking to MSRP it seems everywhere. As far as Service goes, if you live in Houston you can still get it serviced there. They just probably won't give you a loaner car if you need one. But of course that isn't even guaranteed if you do buy your car there.

Old 07-02-2005, 10:31 PM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
Out of the Houston area.... Mini of The Woodlands. People will drive all the way up here, even if they live a block from Momentum. Its sometimes regarded as MoMoney. We went to look at the car at momentum before the Woodlands opened, rude people, didnt seem to want our buisness. Snobs....

Old 07-03-2005, 08:09 AM
ZenAudio
3rd Gear
Moritz was good

I bought MSRP at Moritz. Flew in, caught a Rangers game. Checked out the Book Depository, the Stockyards and the Hookah bars in Deep Ellum. Roadtripped to Austin for a UT game - Hook em Horns. Had great Margies on Riverwalk in San Antonio after a quick visit to the Alamo, and then turned right for the ride back to California. Hit 1250 miles somewhere in the desert of New Mexico on a lonely back road straightaway and rode her hard and put her away wet!!!!

Fond memories of a great trip. Can't wait to do it again!

Mike

Old 07-03-2005, 09:53 AM
mininutz
2nd Gear
I have exprience with three different MINI dealers in Texas:

1) Momentum MINI of Houston
2) MINI of the Woodlands
3) MINI Center in San Antonio

I really think that if you're buying a MINI, you shouldn't buy it because you want great service! Either the dealerships are far away or they seem to be overbooked and annoyed to see you. I think there are many owners out there who've been disappointed with the level and quality of service they receive--- I certainly have.

The good thing is that I've resorted to doing some service myself (oil/filter changes, brake fluid flushes, radiator fluid flushes, etc.) and all I can say is that nobody takes care of my baby better than me. For example, I use better oil than Castrol Syntec (Redline or AMSoil) and I don't overtighten anything. I used to be ignorant about autos, now I'm learning a lot and I have to tell you it's enormously satisfying. I'm about to install a Webb Motorsports Stage 2 kit in my car (plus GRS intercooler)... to hell with the blasted warranty!!!

My impression is that Momentum MINI can give you attitude. I went there for service, and the guy I dealt with (rather not mention his name) had a chip on his shoulder--- perhaps he's a failed singer/songwriter/actor and grossly disappointed to have ended up a "motoring advisor", not sure. But he shouldn't be dealing directly with customers. On the plus side, they were pretty good about getting me a courtesy car. Don't know about what it's like actually buying a car from them. But I'll go back to Momentum over my dead body.

MINI of the Woodlands is the newest one of these three, and they seem to have some promise. However, the last time I went in for a service appointment, they made me wait for about 5 hours in the waiting room (good thing I brought work with me); they had no courtesy car. I think they overtightened my oil filter housing because I had a savage time getting the cap off the next time I changed the oil myself (only a couple of months later)... my poor threads. I can't comment on purchasing an auto from here.

I bought my MCS from MINI Center in San Antonio. I dealt with Faron Smith there. I have to say that this guy is pretty cool--- he actually likes MINIs and owns one and organizes a semi-annual "track day". The only drawback to the MINI Center is the distance from me (and from you if you live near Houston). The pluses are: their technicians seem to be competent and they didn't mark-up the price for my car above MSRP (unlike some dealers in Dallas and Houston that I first contacted). One small thing that annoyed me was that it took forever to get my trunk and floor mats and sun shade. I had to contact them repeatedly over the course of six months.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-04-2005, 05:45 AM
ski
2nd Gear
Mike you hit some of the best places in Texas on your trip here. I live in Dallas but will be going to San Antonio in the Fall and will definitely do the River Walk as I have many times before. I work in Arlington so it was a short trip to Moritz to get my car. But by the time I left with it to drive to Dallas it was dark and I could not remember anything I was told about where things were on the car, like what turns the lights on. I pulled off and figured that one out. Then, I held the steering wheel tightly and kept saying to myself: I just need to get home. I did. Whew. ski