1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 10:37 PM
TimButterfield
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro

Just saying hi as I browse around doing some research.

I'm considering replacing two vehicles with just one, a MINI. I currently have a 2003 Audi A4 3.0Q 6MT and a 2003 BMW K1200RS. My wife will not ride the bike as a friend of hers was hurt in an MC accident, and I would rather spend the time with her than alone on the bike. So, I'm thinking an MCSC would be a fair replacement for the bike, which would also let me unload a (then) extra car, the A4.

I am considering a MCSC CoB/Blue (what color abbrev. for blue conv. roof?), with #1, #2, #3, chrono, blue leather, and possibly JCW. I am not sure whether to add JCW on the initial order or to trying living with the S level for a while before adding it. I'm leaning towards getting it later as the stock MCSC already has 0-60 times similar to the A4.

I tested a couple of MINIs (MCS/JCW & MCC) at Knauz, north of Chicago. Dan was friendly and helpful. I haven't yet decided to order there though, as Patrick is closer to my office (Itasca) and home (Des Plaines). Do either/both dealers have service loaners? Maybe I should ask in the regional forum.

This would also be my first convertible and I am not sure what they are like to live with. Any tips I should know would be appreciated, especially as they apply to the MINI. How bad is leaving it in the driveway vs the garage? I would need to rearrange some things to fit it in. I get bird poop on the A4 sometimes. How bad is that on a convertible top compared with the hardtop and how do you clean it off a convertible top? Does anything special need to be done? Can a MCSC go through a car wash (relatively safely) if I don't want to wait to do a hand wash?

Anyway, that's where I am at, trying to get a feel for what life with a MCSC may be like and mulling over whether it is worth waiting until October to take delivery. I'm guessing the opinion here is a big YES! on that.