1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's here!....& 3M ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Flyin'Grape
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's here!....& 3M ????

Yipee,

We have "at the dealership" status!!! It's been a long wait, but now I can see the headlights at the end of the tunnel.

Just have a couple of questions. Does anyone have advice on the 3M invisi-shield product? Should I try to find a lesser expensive route to order and install or should I go with the more expensive route (the dealership?)

What are people paying for this product and installation? Is it worth the extra cost? I don't want rock chips or dings in the hood, so I'll probably go with it, but don't really want to pay the big bucks to have it installed at Rasmussen.

Thanks in advance!

Soon to be driving GRAPE S .

Jules

Old 07-05-2005, 12:16 AM
Goose
3rd Gear
I'm going to install one myself. My kit was sold by Invinca-Shield (3M film - about $80 for a half bra), and is a little easier to install than other options. My kit is divided into four main pieces so there aren't as many compound-curves to deal with. If the hood goes well, I'll get the bumper part.

I saw some OEM installs in my dealer's showroom that were not very good. Considering the potential savings, I'd feel stupid if I didn't try. If you're not confident with your abilities, I'd stick with my kit supplier - other kits consist of one big piece which can be tough to get to lay flat.

I'll let everybody know how the process goes as soon as I can.

Edit: Here's a link to the kit... Invinca-Shield (I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way)

Old 07-05-2005, 12:43 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Jules, Be sure to shop around for the Invinci-Shield (clear bra). It is a great thing....I am SO bummed I didn't get one immediately on Wanda, but I was leaving on a 2-month roadtrip and had no time.

I will eventually re-paint her and then install one!

Clover

Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 AM
whisenant
2nd Gear
I like the idea of the invica-shield, but just how "invisible" is it, and does it come off (if I decide to remove it) easily and cleanly?

Old 07-05-2005, 02:12 AM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 05 off the dealership showroom and it already had the 3M on it. Had to pay $595. My daughters 04 does not have it but we'll be putting it on since she's already picked up some rock chips. It's virtually invisible and guaranteed for life.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:14 AM
Jerseygirl
5th Gear
I installed my own Invinca-shield kit when I bought my car. It requires patience, but if you've got that it's definitely something you can do yourself. Only tricky part I found was the curve where the headlight meets the bonnet.

As stated before, the material is virtually invisible on the car. It's certainly more invisible than all the stone chips I'd have if I hadn't installed it!

I went the DIY route because my dealership wanted $1100 for the Invisa-shield.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:50 AM
everythingsablur
2nd Gear
I have a 3M hood protector on my MCS as well. It is virtually invisible in day to day life, except when the car gets really dirty (or is freshly hand waxed). Dirt/grime/wax sometimes builds up at the edge making it visible. Otherwise I think it's working great, and hopefully saving me from some little repair and repainting bills down the road.

Mine was under $300 Cdn. installed at the dealer. What is that... $5 US? Oh wait, your dollar is hitting the fan... maybe $10.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Goose
3rd Gear
You got a great price on the clear bra install. Most mass-market car dealers would do a clear bra install for $300US or so; unfortunately because MINI is marketed as a "boutique" brand, the dealers like to soak the customer.

If you have an aftermarket installer in your area, give 'em a call. If you set up an install WITHOUT involving your dealer, you may get a reasonable price for a pro install.

Most kit suppliers or the film mfg's websites will have installer directories.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:48 AM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by everythingsablur
Mine was under $300 Cdn. installed at the dealer.
Wow!! My dealer wanted $795 Cdn. for 3M bonnet/bumper clear bra if it was part of a "protection package" costing $2,090!!! Alone the clear bra install was quoted as $995 Cdn.!!! Unbelievable. Needless to say, I don't have one. I use a Colgan vinyl bra on road trips, otherwise "bra-less" is the way to go. :smile:

Old 07-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Flyin'Grape
2nd Gear
Great information! Thanks. We will investigate local professional installation options first. I'm sure we could handle the job ourselves, but I like the idea of paying someone else to "get it right" and be able to take it back if done inproperly. Our dealership wants $895 to do the job!

I hope more of you keep responding, because it sounds like I'm not the only one looking for this information.

Cheers! We are down to days!

Pics as soon as we pick her up.

edit: In-town local 3M Certified Installer quoted $506 for full kit, incl. install. MUCH Better than $895. Still seems high, but I'll take it. lol

Last edited by Flyin'Grape; 07-05-2005 at 02:06 PM. Reason: changed dealership price, added new pro price
Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 AM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
x-pel / 3m

I am having the x-pel pattern, using the 3m product installed today. I paid $600, which included the headlights.

I will post pictures tommorrow.

I have been on the fence and was having trouble deciding, but I have been afraid to drive on the freeway much. So, I decided to get it installed.
On the way to the installer this AM, a big truck dropped a bunch of large gravel in front of me, thanks to the quick handling I moved out of the way. Wew!

Cheers.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Smokin'Mini
2nd Gear
We'll have to look into this as well -- any input from the maryland area regarding independents who are recommended?

Old 07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flyin'Grape

edit: In-town local 3M Certified Installer quoted $506 for full kit, incl. install. MUCH Better than $895. Still seems high, but I'll take it. lol
Jules, that sounds pretty good! Ask about having the headlights done, too! Good luck!

Clover

Old 07-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Flyin'Grape
2nd Gear
  • I get it Monday
  • Monday she's mine
  • Monday I motor
  • Monday I love
  • This will be the first Monday of the rest of my life
  • yipee for Monday!
Jules
10 months, now down to 5 days!

Did I say I get it Monday?

Old 07-07-2005, 07:02 AM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
I paid $600 and had a 3rd party install. It was the pre-cut using xpel's template and 3m material. I have attached some pics.

I feel better with it on.

Attached Thumbnails It's here!....& 3M ????-cimg0130.jpg   It's here!....& 3M ????-cimg0131.jpg   It's here!....& 3M ????-cimg0132.jpg  
Old 07-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Flyin'Grape
2nd Gear
Looks fantastic!

Old 07-07-2005, 11:33 AM
mmMatt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Flyin'Grape
Looks fantastic!
We're 15 minutes away from rasmussen and "Clear Bra" happens to be right across the street. They've done several of our customers MINI's and we might be able to get you a fairly good deal on a frontal clear bra. PM me if you'd like me to check into it for you. (as in, ask them how much they'd charge for the material and install)