1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top and snow loads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 08:11 PM
TimButterfield
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convertible top and snow loads?

Before I order a convertible as a daily driver, I would like to know how strong the top is. I live near Chicago and worry about driving to work, having a snow storm while there, and coming out to see the top collapsed. As this will be my daily driver, I need something where I do not have to worry (much) about getting too much snow. Can the MCSC handle snow loads okay or am I better off getting a MCS for a year 'round daily driver? I would like to try a convertible (never had one), but not if I have to leave it garaged when snow threatens. Any insights would be appreciated.

TIA

Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
MyMini05
2nd Gear
Tim - I am in my first season with the vert so there has not been a flake on the roof yet.

From what I see, the top is well built and should handle any snow load. If you get concerned with a wet snow, just take a few moments and brush it off.

Happy Motoring - Fred

Old 07-06-2005, 11:52 AM
TimButterfield
Neutral
snow load specifics?

Originally Posted by MyMini05
From what I see, the top is well built and should handle any snow load. If you get concerned with a wet snow, just take a few moments and brush it off.
I thought it was well built also (small area and good support), which is why I am considering getting one as a year round daily driver. I don't mind brushing the snow off and would probably brush it off even after a dusting. I just wanted to know how often it was really required, not just preferred. My biggest concern is about leaving it parked for long periods when heavy snow threatens or is possible like when at work or when taking a vacation in the Rocky Mountains. Would it need to be brushed off after every 1 inch, 3 inches, 6 inches, a foot, etc.? If it can handle between 6 inches and a foot before being brushed off, I would feel much safer leaving it parked when it could get snowed on, except maybe when visiting Yellowstone. If I would have to brush it off at less than 6 inches, than I would worry more and might be better getting a hardtop MCS instead of ordering a MCSC. What have people actually experienced with snow on the MCC/MCSC or even on convertibles in general? Being a newbie to convertibles, I don't have much of a clue in this area.

Thanks.