1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help deciding option on order

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Need help deciding option on order

Hi, new member to the forum.

I visit a road track in Virginia (VIR) and have decided that I "need" a Mini. Planning on ordering one in a couple of months. (Have to wait for my current lease to expire). Would like some input from others on options.

Currently planning on a MC with the Premium package, but can't decide on whether to order the Sports Package. I don't plan on racing but just having fun. From what I have read the DSC has mixed reviews and the run flats have been criticized for the rough ride. I want the 16" wheels but would rather not have run-flats.

What are some opinions?

Old 07-08-2005, 05:14 PM
dr_doogie_md
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I can't help you with the technical questions, I really don't know much, if anything, in that area, but I can give you one head's up.

If you want to custom order your Mini, you should do so soon. If you current lease expires in a couple months, you should order here within a couple weeks. Most Cooper orders are taking 6-8 weeks, depending on your location.

Also, no need to quote 'need'. We all know it, as we all need our Minis too! Welcome to the obsession!

Old 07-08-2005, 05:38 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you'll do well to have DCS, even if you leave it off a good bit. For safety in rain or snow it's good to have. I think the reported harshness of runflats is more important if you have some intolerance for medical reasons (bad back, loose fillings ), but otherwise it's not that huge a deal. If you "know you need a MINI" based on a visit to a track, yeah, you may just want that Sport Package. If you're going w/ Premium anyway, why not?

That said...I'll report from my own (admittedly unique) vantage point:

I do not have the Sport Package. I have a standard Cooper suspension, non-runflats, and no DSC. I got this suspension setup because word was it was the least harsh and I carry passengers all the time. I will say this...some roads still feel like washboards, but certainly not obnixiously so. It's great "as is" for me and plenty tight for good, fun, engaging motoring.

I don't miss DCS...issues were reported early on which steered me away it given my normal driving environs...I hear these issues have been addressed to some degree. I thought I'd miss the DCS toggle, but once the euphoria of motoring set in, I quickly forgot all about it. I'll readily admit DSC might be a good safety item, but I find driving w/ basic common sense and backing off the throttle in nasty weather works fine for me.

I have friends w/ runflats and w/o. I think runflats are good, but from what I can tell the make of the tire does seem to impact the harshness of the ride. I like having a spare...I've used it only once. I had to limp about on it for a day or two, so I was glad to have it. I will say this, though, the Continental tires that came on my MINI have been on national backorder two or three times since I've had my car. A real hassle...I'm forced to switch to something else.

Good luck on your decisions...MINIs are truly awesome!!!