1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 10:06 PM
teej
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi!

Hello hello! My first post and I must start by the well-deserved "Thank You" for all the information I have obtained from this site in my brief lurking history.

My wife and I stopped by our local SoCal dealer on the weekend of 4th of July and placed a deposit on an 06 MCS. That day our configuration looked as follows, which may change soon based partly on the feedback and suggestions I get here!

06 MCS
Dark Silver
Red/Black Interior
White roof, mirrors, stripes, and wheels (S-lites)
Anthracite dash
Premium Package
Sport Package
Convenience Package
LSD
Harmon Kardon
Aero Kit
Arm Rest
Aux Plug

Estimated delivery: End of October - Beginning of November

Now that we know more about the new colors, factory JCW, and price increases, its time to revisit the configuration. We have till the end of August to make any changes. Here are some of the issues/considerations/questions/concerns:

1. New colors: Since this is the final MY for this generation, part of me wants to get the new Royal Grey or Space Blue, but I'm still trying to figure out what the colors really look like based on the few pictures/sites out there. I think I'm leaning more towards the SB than the RG because it seems like the RG has a hint of green in it, which I don't like much. On the other hand, I do like the Dark Silver, but have also been contemplating the Chili Red lately!

2. The convenience package...hmm...do I really need an auto-dimming mirror and rain-sensing wipers, the wipers in particular since I'm in sunny Southern California?! Why not save a few dollars? I used to drive an 01 325i and liked the auto-dimming mirror, but its definitely not a necessity! And I don't even dim my mirror anymore (a manual one) in my current car.

3. Factory JCW: Way too much $, so not even considering it. Ran some numbers to see if we could get the JCW package and sacrifice some of the other options (the main one being the aero kit), but no luck. I do think personally that the JCW package price is good, but I wish I could get the JCW pieces a la carte from the factory to give us some more pricing room.

4. Based on our current options, the price for our 06 MCS will be $330 more than an 05, which is less than expected. Our salesperson mentioned that there is usually a 400-500 increase. We actually didn't know that the price already went up in the beginning of the year. That first hike is a mute point because we weren't ready to get our MINI then. But I must also add that I was expecting some of the options to become standard items for the 06 MY. Oh well...

5. Definitely thinking about cancelling the arm rest and aux plug options, because I should be able to install them myself. I am a bit concerned about the drilling part for the arm rest....do have to make some holes right? (Think I saw something about drilling in one of the online instruction manuals) For some reason, making holes in my MINI with my own inexperienced hands just doesn't sit right.

Phew! Feels good to let it all out! Must stop now, my first post is getting way too long!!

Old 07-24-2005, 08:49 AM
goaljnky
Banned
First of all, the armrest is part of the premium package. Or did that change? Two, get the diming mirrors and the rain sensing wipers. I was just like you, didn' think I need them. But I found the car I wanted at the dealer and those were already installed. Love them. Great options. Very convinient. And I don't think I've heard anyone say anything negative about them yet.

And by the way. Welcome to NAM.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:54 AM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome......

Nice list of options.......like being in a candy store...

Old 07-24-2005, 09:07 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
teej,

Welcome to NAM

I would guess your list will change a few times prior to final order. I ordered the rain sensing wipers but the dealer did not order them. I think my MCS was half built when they placed the order and had everything except that so they took it as is. My wife's Lexus has them and I've had them on other cars and IMO it is no big deal with or without.

Earl

Old 07-24-2005, 09:18 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to NAM, teej!! Can't advise you much...seems like there were fewer options to wade through back in '02 when I ordered, but dialing in your prefect MINI is great fun so hopefully you'll get the input you seek. My MINI has a few carefully selected options...no packages...and I totally love it. Why?? Because it's my MINI built the way I like it. That's the goal....and in the end, I love this car way too much!!

I think I'm going to be a big fan of Royal Grey, perhaps a warmer grey tone. It would make the decision for Dark Silver tougher, especially if Royal Grey will have a short run (which we really don't know about yet). I see a lot of DS MCSs, so a variation on the theme might be nice for some. With your red trimmed interior though, DS could easily be the best choice. And anthracite w/ that?....yummy!

Oh well, that's it for me...I've kept my Cooper very stock and went for a classic look. That means staying w/ an earlier Cooper with only a few tweaks here and there, but the motoring is still pretty darn awesome!!!

Again...welcome!

Old 07-24-2005, 09:25 AM
teej
2nd Gear
Thanks for the welcome! The armrest is not part of the premium package, at least it wasn't for the 05s, and I don't think thats changing for the 06s.

Originally Posted by goaljnky
First of all, the armrest is part of the premium package. Or did that change? Two, get the diming mirrors and the rain sensing wipers. I was just like you, didn' think I need them. But I found the car I wanted at the dealer and those were already installed. Love them. Great options. Very convinient. And I don't think I've heard anyone say anything negative about them yet.

And by the way. Welcome to NAM.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:31 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by teej
Thanks for the welcome! The armrest is not part of the premium package, at least it wasn't for the 05s, and I don't think thats changing for the 06s.
I just checked and you are right. It is not a part of the premium package. But I am pretty sure it was at one point. I remember having a rant about it.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:36 AM
teej
2nd Gear
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

When I asked my sales associate what he thought the tartan red seats, he said he didn't care much for them. But my wife and I saw the red in a non-DS MCS parked next to a DS MCS with black interior. With a little bit of imagination, to us the combination seemed great! I haven't been able to find pics of this combination in the gallery...does anyone have pics of this combo?

I'll have to do some more thinking about the convenience package. $400 isn't that much overall, so maybe I'll just keep it. Confused...

Old 07-24-2005, 09:41 AM
cooper37
1st Gear
1. New colors: Since this is the final MY for this generation, part of me wants to get the new Royal Grey or Space Blue, but I'm still trying to figure out what the colors really look like based on the few pictures/sites out there.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/07/...r_availability

It looks like the Royal Grey won't be available in the US.

Old 07-24-2005, 09:51 AM
teej
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cooper37
www.motoringfile.com/2005/07/15/2006_us_market_color_availability

It looks like the Royal Grey won't be available in the US.
We're not getting Solar Red for the MCS. I think you're getting confused about the part where it says that we wont be getting the "stickers" thats on the Solar Red and Royal Grey MINIs (Park Lane specific stickers?) - "those in the US can disregard the stickers on the Solar Red and Royal Grey MINIs - we won't be getting those"

Old 07-24-2005, 09:58 AM
cooper37
1st Gear
ohhhhh...you're right! Sorry I was kind of confused. Anyway, I think the Royal Grey is beautiful if it's anything like the pictures of it. But, as with Astro Black which looks nothing like the color you see online, and is every bit more beautiful when you see it in person, you might want to see the Royal Grey somewhere (don't know where that would be) before ordering it from a picture. Just an idea. And thanks again for setting me straight on the stickers! Welcome to NAM.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:00 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Hi teej:

Excellent selections for your MINI.

The color more than anything else was my conundrum. I knew I did not want an all black interior, but the exterior was befuddling. Almost every time I saw another MINI on the street I changed colors. Then I decided to be rational and eliminated all optional colors and upholstery so I could afford more accessories. Perhaps that (cost benefit comparison of options) and your fondness for the red-black upholstery nudges you toward Chili Red. I finally ended up with Pepper White/Black. I regret it every time I see a MINI of another color until I see a Pepper White/Black car--usually my own.

There are beautiful MINIs in every color. In the LA area there are so many you will probably change your mind 3 times a day.

If you are comparing other colors versus your choice of Dark Silver perhaps you ought to look up Greatbear's post on the thread "Show me your wheels" because he got SSR (I believe) wheels in anthracite to match his car--stunning yet subtle.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:07 AM
teej
2nd Gear
Ya its going to be impossible to see a Royal Grey in person since my 06 MCS will probably be one of the first few built (beginning of September). I just hope there are more "real life" pictures before production begins. Another complicating factor is the Tartan Red interior and how that would look with the Royal Grey.

ohhhhh...you're right! Sorry I was kind of confused. Anyway, I think the Royal Grey is beautiful if it's anything like the pictures of it. But, as with Astro Black which looks nothing like the color you see online, and is every bit more beautiful when you see it in person, you might want to see the Royal Grey somewhere (don't know where that would be) before ordering it from a picture. Just an idea. And thanks again for setting me straight on the stickers! Welcome to NAM.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 AM
cooper37
1st Gear
Ya its going to be impossible to see a Royal Grey in person since my 06 MCS will probably be one of the first few built (beginning of September). I just hope there are more "real life" pictures before production begins. Another complicating factor is the Tartan Red interior and how that would look with the Royal Grey.
Well...IMO if the royal grey has a greenish hue to it (as it appears in the photos I've seen) the red tartan might look off. If the royal grey has black/blue in it, I think the red tartan would look stunning against the grey. Grey and red is a classic combination but it has to be the right grey.:smile:

Old 07-24-2005, 10:42 AM
teej
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by morknmini
.....If you are comparing other colors versus your choice of Dark Silver perhaps you ought to look up Greatbear's post on the thread "Show me your wheels" because he got SSR (I believe) wheels in anthracite to match his car--stunning yet subtle.
I saw his car earlier and it does look great! I'm not sure if I'm going to get new wheels though, I haven't really been much into modding (although I've been getting the urge lately!). And I really do like the white S-lites with the white roof, stripes and mirrors.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:44 AM
teej
2nd Gear
Well...IMO if the royal grey has a greenish hue to it (as it appears in the photos I've seen) the red tartan might look off. If the royal grey has black/blue in it, I think the red tartan would look stunning against the grey. Grey and red is a classic combination but it has to be the right grey.:smile:
The greenish hue is exactly the reason why I'm not so sure about the Royal Grey, and the combination with the red. Damn I wish I could see the Royal Grey in person!

Old 07-24-2005, 10:52 AM
cooper37
1st Gear
I bought my MC off the lot and I LOVE it. It has everything in it that I would have ordered had I had the patience to wait. Totally an impulse buy but such a great purchase. That said, I therefore know nothing of the protocol for backing out of an order. But, can you order the royal grey/red tartan and if you don't like it when it comes in, can you get something else...take your chances that there might be something on the lot that you would like at the time? Maybe others on this forum might be able to give more insight about ordering.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:56 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my MC off the lot....has everything in it that I would have ordered
In that case it's simply destiny!!! I love it when the stars align...it's just meant to be! In this case I sometimes wonder if you choose your MINI or if your MINI chooses you?!?! Either way...it's magic!!

Old 07-24-2005, 02:08 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
I saw his car earlier and it does look great! I'm not sure if I'm going to get new wheels though, I haven't really been much into modding (although I've been getting the urge lately!). And I really do like the white S-lites with the white roof, stripes and mirrors.
I agree with you. I had not noticed you were getting a white roof. I love the way the MINI looks with white accents--especially the white wheels. In certain colors it reminds me of a cat. I would go with the white accents and then wonder about the body color. Never easy to make that final decision!

Old 07-24-2005, 02:19 PM
lcubed
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2. The convenience package...hmm...do I really need an auto-dimming mirror and rain-sensing wipers, the wipers in particular since I'm in sunny Southern California?! Why not save a few dollars? I used to drive an 01 325i and liked the auto-dimming mirror, but its definitely not a necessity! And I don't even dim my mirror anymore (a manual one) in my current car.

3. Factory JCW: Way too much $, so not even considering it. Ran some numbers to see if we could get the JCW package and sacrifice some of the other options (the main one being the aero kit), but no luck. I do think personally that the JCW package price is good, but I wish I could get the JCW pieces a la carte from the factory to give us some more pricing room.
the only issue i've got with the rain sensing wipers is that no aftermarket
glass is currently available w/ the rain sensor.

(ppg glass seems to be a good/stronger replacement for all the 02-04
stress fractured glass. hopefully, the 05+ glass no longer has this problem.

also, the OEM mini glass is REALLY pricey)

that said, i ordered my 05 LY/W MCS with the autodim mirrors and homelink for the same price as the convenience package.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:44 PM
MiniBruiser
1st Gear
Hi teej,

What dealer are you ordering though? I put down a deposit at South Bay Mini in Torrance on June 15th and was told end of October/early November. Now it looks like November for sure, but my MA at South Bay seemed unwilling to give anything more specific. I just wonder what dealer had a shorter line. Are you paying MSRP, if I may ask? I could have gotten it about a month sooner if I'd been willing to order through a local dealer who's STILL marking up MCS's... actually, several dealers are STILL marking them up.

Waiting is sooo hard.

Mine will be
Hyper Blue
Black roof/black stripes
Premium
Sport
Cold
HK
LSD
Armrest
Rear Fog

and maybe the JCW factory package... how did you find out what the price is for the JCW package? What is it? :smile: Thanks....

Old 07-24-2005, 05:45 PM
teej
2nd Gear
Oh I didn't even think about the glass replacement aspect of it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Originally Posted by lcubed
the only issue i've got with the rain sensing wipers is that no aftermarket
glass is currently available w/ the rain sensor.

(ppg glass seems to be a good/stronger replacement for all the 02-04
stress fractured glass. hopefully, the 05+ glass no longer has this problem.

also, the OEM mini glass is REALLY pricey)

that said, i ordered my 05 LY/W MCS with the autodim mirrors and homelink for the same price as the convenience package.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:53 PM
teej
2nd Gear
Your combo is awesome! HB was one of my favorites for a long time, but then someone down the street had to get one! With the white accents, and aero kit! Just like how I wanted it!! ...nah, can't get mad at fellow MINI drivers...

I'm getting mine from South Bay as well. I'm guessing you also ordered an 06 if estimated delivery is in the Oct-Nov timeframe. Production for the 06s dont begin till September. And yes I'm paying MSRP.

www.motoringfile.com has all the latest news, including details on the factory JCW kit (Go to the 'Official 2006 MINIUSA Pricing' story). The price is going to be $6300, which includes LSD, JCW Brake kit, and the engine upgrades.

Originally Posted by MiniBruiser
Hi teej,

What dealer are you ordering though? I put down a deposit at South Bay Mini in Torrance on June 15th and was told end of October/early November. Now it looks like November for sure, but my MA at South Bay seemed unwilling to give anything more specific. I just wonder what dealer had a shorter line. Are you paying MSRP, if I may ask? I could have gotten it about a month sooner if I'd been willing to order through a local dealer who's STILL marking up MCS's... actually, several dealers are STILL marking them up.

Waiting is sooo hard.

Mine will be
Hyper Blue
Black roof/black stripes
Premium
Sport
Cold
HK
LSD
Armrest
Rear Fog

and maybe the JCW factory package... how did you find out what the price is for the JCW package? What is it? :smile: Thanks....

Old 07-24-2005, 05:59 PM
teej
2nd Gear
Well I stopped by the dealer again today. They actually had two DS MCS'. The first with a white roof, but no white wheels. The other was a breathtaking DS with black roof, mirrors and stripes, and with the web spokes! Looked awesome! And it had the aero kit. If it had the LSD, I would have seriously considered getting it :smile: The black accents look good too! I can tell I'm going to be losing a lot of sleep in the coming months...

Originally Posted by morknmini
I agree with you. I had not noticed you were getting a white roof. I love the way the MINI looks with white accents--especially the white wheels. In certain colors it reminds me of a cat. I would go with the white accents and then wonder about the body color. Never easy to make that final decision!

Old 07-24-2005, 06:04 PM
MiniBruiser
1st Gear
Your combo is awesome! HB was one of my favorites for a long time, but then someone down the street had to get one! With the white accents, and aero kit! Just like how I wanted it!! ...nah, can't get mad at fellow MINI drivers...

I'm getting mine from South Bay as well. I'm guessing you also ordered an 06 if estimated delivery is in the Oct-Nov timeframe. Production for the 06s dont begin till September. And yes I'm paying MSRP.

www.motoringfile.com has all the latest news, including details on the factory JCW kit (Go to the 'Official 2006 MINIUSA Pricing' story). The price is going to be $6300, which includes LSD, JCW Brake kit, and the engine upgrades.
Hey teej - thanks for your reply!

$6300? whoa, I think I'm going to pass!

I know how you feel about your neighbor getting the car you wanted... when I told my co-workers I'd put down my deposit, one of them went out and bought a MINI convertible about 3 days later. I guess I was the push he needed to do what he'd been thinking about. But now he has his and I'm waiting for 5 months!

Who is your MA at South Bay? Colin is mine. I'm wondering if I should give them another call since they gave you the same delivery time frame yet you went in 3 weeks after me -- EGADS! Good for you but makes me wonder! I guess maybe I might have just missed one month of allocations so my estimated window might be the same as people who got in line up to a month after me.... but, I ramble.

Thanks for your reply. I love Dark Silver too! Maybe our MINIs will be brothers.