1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer hitch for 2005 Cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Coop ahh
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer hitch for 2005 Cooper

Saw a really slick hitch for the Mini at the Mini Meet East. It utilized the facotry "Mini Link System". The "sport Link" is available through dealers for about $240. Where does one find the actual hitch that slides into the receiver? Talked with the guy that had the hitch, but of course did not get enough info. Perhaps a BMW dealer as I recall. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:20 PM
The Smiths
Neutral
You can buy a receiver drawbar / hitch ball mount from Tractor Supply Company or any trailer supply company and most U-hauls also.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:40 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
I am wondering what exactly would you be pulling with the MINI. Seriouly curious.....

Bomboasy

Old 07-26-2005, 04:05 PM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bomboasy
I am wondering what exactly would you be pulling with the MINI. Seriouly curious.....

Bomboasy
When I get my MCS, I will be pulling my kart with it! :smile:

Old 07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Coop ahh
Neutral
We have a 2005 convertible which we love. Would like a tad more room for very long trips. Works great now but would like to pull a small motorcyle trailer, I.E. a trailer pulled behing a bike, not one to transport a bike. Saw a small camper being pulled and according to the owner worked quite well. The sport link works well with the bicycle rack available from the dealer. The hitch itself fits into the mini link system.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Tow Link

The word I got is that MINI FINI is backordered on the hitch part and took the price off of the website.

If you look at the site, the hitch is on the main page but not the product page.

You BMW or MINI dealer does not carry the Tow Link,

Be sure to use a POWERED ISOLATING trailer light converter. It has a separate line to the battery to run the lights and only takes "signals" from the Mini light system, which is run by a rather expensive "Body Control Module".

http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...olor_codes.htm

John

Old 08-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Coop ahh
Neutral
Hi John, Thanks for the info on the "Tow Link". I will be patient and wait for the Mini Fini folks to catch up. Where can one obtain the "powered isolationg trailer light converter"? Thanks for any info. Did talk with the dealer and they know all about the Mini link system, but I think they are afraid to get into the hitch for fear of some idiot trying to pull a rather large airstream or such. Thanks a lot, Tom

Old 08-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Isolation adapter

The web page I referenced above, has some information.

There is more toward the bottom of this page.

http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...r_Hitches.html

I was at Uhaul last week and saw that they have a suitable isolation adapter as well.

I understand the dealers not wanting to deal with a hitch issue.

The reason I won't make and sell hitches is that the first time some one trys to stop suddenly, or make a sudden manuever at 80 mph with 1,500 pounds behind the MINI their "heirs" would end up owning my house!

The only reference in the owners manual is in the section on luggage and cargo capacity.

On the highway I have towed loads within the MINI cargo limit, at traffic speed with no issue.

John

Last edited by Jdewey; 08-01-2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: clarify reference to Uhaul
Old 08-01-2005, 02:31 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
It owuld also be nice to have a small trailer for your tires if you are going to an autocross or HPDE that is far away. I LOVE the hitch for the Porsche's. They have the black rubber bumpers that pop off and the trailer hitch goes into them. Completely hidden when not in use!!

Old 08-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
What would you tow with a MINI ?

Yes, a tire trailer is one thing lots of MINI owners tow. I have seen many photos on the WEB, and the two "garage manufacturers" of hitches both built theirs to tow their tire trailers.

I find it useful just to not have to dump my "stuff" on the ground when I go to an "event".

See my Gallery photos.

The trailer is 280 pounds empty, so I can put 300 pounds of "stuff" in it and stay under the MINI cargo limit of 816 pounds.

This "cube" cuts my miles about 4 mpg whether it is empty, or has a load in it.

I have pulled it over a thousand miles in the last 18 months with my chair, umbrella, cooler, and some times camping supplies in it. Since I don't have the run flat tires on the car, I take one of the original run flat tires along as a spare. Carrying this "stuff" in the trailer really cut down on the damage to the inside of the MIN from piling all that stuff in it.

Just don't try to pull over size loads at highway speeds!

John

Old 08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Did anyone see that cool hitch for the MCS that comes out through the black plastic on either side of the exhaust? YOu then bolt on the rest of the hitch when you are using it and otherwise the hitch is completely hidden? I am looking all over for it and can't seem to find it!!!

Old 08-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Trailer hitch for an MCS that Bolts on.

The Sport Link passes out through those grills. It is 2 inches in diameter, and uses 1/4 turn latches to hold the exterior parts on. It will run you about $1,000 installed.
The Mini Fini page seems to be down, but if you search this web site you will find photos of it installed on Mini's.

Abe's hitch passes out through those grills. It is 2 square tubes, held in by longitudinal bolts. http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...tch_on_car.jpg

His older version used lateral pins.
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai..._ABE_hitch.jpg

Mine passes out through the grills, and is actually suppported by the two longitudinal bolts.
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...h_in_use_1.jpg

And Karl's hitch uses two bolts that go up under the bumper.
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai.../96_Karl_2.jpg

More information is at the web page I referenced further up the page.

John

Old 09-17-2005, 09:34 AM
MINI-H3
Neutral
TowLink trailer hitch

I am a soon to be MINI owner and I will be towing a trailer on a regular basis for work. Before I ordered my Space Blue MINI I had to know I could pull a trailer (thanks to all who had comments on this site. It helped a lot) and I had to find a hitch. Well I found 2 new MINI Fini TowLink hitches. If anyone is interested in the extra one I got it is on ebay. If you read this after the auction is over feel free to reply and I'll see if I can find another one.