1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As if Denver needs any more MINI drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 12:38 AM
Riddler
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As if Denver needs any more MINI drivers

Seriously .... this city is being overrun by MINIs. Why, I wonder - the exotic status of our cars is diminishing fast in the Rocky Mountain stronghold. No more nose-smudges on my windows, no more little kids pointing at my car, no more clowns asking me where to get one.

Well, all this did not do anything to dampen my excitement as I finally (Denver demand x only one dealership = 9 months from 1st deposit to delivery of Cooper S) took delivery of my dark silver MCS in June. I'm sure you guys all remember what a rush it was to finally attack your peaceful neighborhood streets with the point-and-shoot personality of the MINI. It's incredible -- especially coming from driving my equally beloved '88 LandCruiser for years, which did not take quite as well to the turns and twisty canyons surrounding Denver.

Less than two weeks after delivery, the first drama started to ensue already: A flat run-flat prompted me to stop by at Discount Tire (Colorado Blvd & Yale, for my fellow Denverites), who made me wait for quite soem time, but fixe the tire for free after about two hours. A few days later, as I was cleaning my S-Lites, I noticed a gouge in the wheel, which looke dlike the signature of the tire-pryer (in lack of the right term). If this would not have been a 2-week old car, I would not have been worried about, but ..... Well, long story short, I made it back to Discount Tire and the manager agreed to have the wheel refinished. The lack of a spare tire forced me to leave SauerKraut, and sure enough, three days later, I received a phone call from DT: The wheel wasn't cured right, and the paint came off again. Great, that meant that I had to leave it for another five (weekend) days, and I started to experience the first sytmptoms of MINI withdrawal. Five days later, DT calls, same story. Arghhhhhhh, the paint flaked off again ... what the hell is going on??? Is there a problem with those wheels and the process they are finished/cured??? Anyway, at that point, DT agreen to order a new wheel, and after a solid 12 days I could finally pick up the little gray box again.

Sorry for the ramble.

It's great to be part of such a vivid community, and I can strongly attest to the notion that driving a MINI is unlike any other driving eperience.

Attached Thumbnails As if Denver needs any more MINI drivers-photo-library-481_small.jpg  
Old 07-28-2005, 02:55 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to NAM and welcome to the Colorado MINI community. I hope we see you at some MINI5280 events in the near future.

Sean

Old 07-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Riddler
2nd Gear
Thanks Gripper. I'm sure I'll join soon (I actually met Rick on a bikeride a couple of weeks ago).

Old 07-28-2005, 03:29 PM
MiniBruiser
1st Gear
Ya know, I hadn't thought about that disadvantage of the S. No spare tire is no problem -- but no spare WHEEL --- ARGH! I would NOT want to let my car sit at a tire shop

I am seeing lots and lots of MINIs in the LA area too. I still want one as it will make a fun commuter car.

Your car looks great!