1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To S or not to S that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:07 PM
dandp
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must defend the Cooper here...while it's been 15 months since I owned a MINI, I had a heavily modded Cooper. There are threads here regarding non MCS performance mods, and the Cooper can still scare the daylights out of the uninitiated. While I didn't go the turbo route, I did do suspension, big brakes, exhaust & air intake. The handling was phenomenal - although I had an '02 and always felt the gearbox was short of the Getrag 6 on the MCS. In any case, the Cooper is a great little package despite what some may say about it....

Old 07-28-2005, 08:15 PM
kbseto
5th Gear
i originally purchased an automatic cooper with steptronics because it was cheaper and i didn't think i would ever get into modding my car. within 6 months i was ordering an 's', which i ended up modding quite a bit with power, suspension and cosmetic upgrades.

the main reason why i ended up getting an 's' though was that i drove up hills and inclines on a daily basis and my cooper was struggling, even with the sport mode or semi-shifting mode. this was especially apparent with 3 adults in the mini. there simply was no acceleration although the engine was wining away.

with the 's' there was rarely even a need to downshift when passing on inclines at highway speeds. just stay in the present gear and you're pretty much fine.

as for modding...if you think there's any chance you'll be getting into modding, the 's' i believe offers far more options. i guess the aftermarket is geared for the 's' vs. the cooper.

that being said though, if i were to p/u a '05 mini now, i'd seriously hafta think about it cause the new gearing makes a huge difference in the acceleration. plus i believe the '05 cooper has the same getrag gearbox as the 's', but in 5 speed. so i'd definitely consider the '05 manual cooper. not only is it cheaper, it's lighter and more fuel efficient. and you get the spare tire.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:29 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
I have an MCSa, but believe I would be equally pleased to have a Cooper CVT. Due to traffic congestion and advanced age I have given up the clutch. I don't mind the fuel consumption of my MCSa but the Cooper's is in a different class. I have always preferred the appearance of the Cooper's sloping bonnet, especially with stripes. Also I have discovered that my previous 11 years behind the wheel of a Geo Tracker automatic has accustomed me to lethargic performance--anything quicker than 0-60 in 13 seconds being such a thrill that I don't use much of the MCSa's power.

If you need a quicker-than-average car you should get the MCS. If you prefer better-than-average fuel economy you should get the Cooper. Both cars should provide you with more-than-average fun. A stripped down MCS isn't a bare bones car (and some folks prefer that spec to minimize weight and complication). A well-optioned Cooper could be a dazzler (NAM has glorious examples). Enjoy making your selection.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:07 PM
BBoy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
BB, thx for the respone, i was hoping i would get somebody rilled up lol

as long as were on the same page, they both have thir high points, we need to differentiate between the two cars and make apparent thier strong points!
Agreed.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:06 AM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It has been touched on her lightly but there have been quite a few 5 sp gearbox failures on even stock MC's. Look into that aspect closely if you are even thinking of doing basic mods or driving harder than average. Some have lasted fine but many have not.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 07-29-2005, 12:32 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
how do you figure? have you even driven a cooper? my cooper can keep up with (and in some cases outperform) an S in the twisties. if i had the cash, i would go big brakes and a coil over conversion, but the stock suspension is doing well right where it is!

i would do some research next time before posting such a rediculous sentence!!!

The car is as good as the driver.

Check out the G Stock and H Stock numbers. Your region numbers may be different.

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...round9.html#hs
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...round9.html#gs

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...round7.html#hs
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...round7.html#gs

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...round4.html#hs
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...round4.html#gs

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...round2.html#hs
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...round2.html#gs

Old 07-29-2005, 01:15 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
My vote is S all the way..................

Old 07-29-2005, 02:10 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by maxmini
It has been touched on her lightly but there have been quite a few 5 sp gearbox failures on even stock MC's. Look into that aspect closely if you are even thinking of doing basic mods or driving harder than average. Some have lasted fine but many have not.

Randy
M7 Tuning
I had a new tranny at 35Kmiles. Had nothing to do with the tranny. The axle seal failed becuase of extreme cold. Dumped fluid, and left bits in the tranny.
I don't shift hard, but I run the midlands up to bounce when ever I feel like it, and both have been great.

It's flat where I live, and I have to search out twisties, so my MC does just fine. Most of my 52+K miles are cruising at 70MPH. I drop 5th to 3rd sometimes to pass. I love 3rd gear:smile:

I like the look of both bonnets. I don't seem to fit right in the sport seats, love my standards, but I'm sure I could find the right settings with the sports given time.

MPG is important to me with a 100 mile commute. Best was 39MPG, worst 24MPG, all gravel back roads, spirited, 200 mile run.

Get what you need, and want.Test ,test,test drive.
Then have fun with what you pick

Old 07-29-2005, 03:13 AM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Old 07-29-2005, 03:19 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I have slept on it and I am changing my opinion.

If performance is your goal

Get the "S"

It is such a better platform if you choose to mod. If you have the Cooper you are VERY limited. These sites are ful of people looking to get more power from their Coopers and there is very little available they are stuck. About Amanda, she told me she is waiting for the new model (turbo motor) and it will be an "S."

Old 07-29-2005, 04:32 AM
tx-jbird
2nd Gear
Go with the S. I was working within a budget also. I could have spent more but it just caused too much heart burn to spend more on a car. In selecting options, I put the money on performance and not on glamor. By staying away from the leather seating and metalic paints, H/K stereo and going with a manual transmission. I was able to get a nicely equiped MCS w/ LSD for 27k.

Old 07-29-2005, 04:33 AM
HHFD633
4th Gear
Thanks Guys

Just wanted to thank everyone for such a great response. I must say i was very suprised to see such a response to my post, it being my first one.
The info avaliable here is just amazing. I have been reading NAM since way before the name change but finally made the decsion to order my mini so i joined. Some of the names i saw post in this thread are some of the most active names here in NAM.

Just wanted to say ty you have helped my choice TO S IT IS......not that there is anything wrong with a non s i jut sthink coming from a 1.8t i would be happier with a s.

Thanks again guys hope to meet some of you in the future.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:05 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HHFD633
Just wanted to thank everyone for such a great response. I must say i was very suprised to see such a response to my post, it being my first one.
The info avaliable here is just amazing. I have been reading NAM since way before the name change but finally made the decsion to order my mini so i joined. Some of the names i saw post in this thread are some of the most active names here in NAM.

Just wanted to say ty you have helped my choice TO S IT IS......not that there is anything wrong with a non s i jut sthink coming from a 1.8t i would be happier with a s.

Keep us posted......

Old 07-29-2005, 06:59 AM
BBoy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
Keep us posted......
Yes, be sure to give us pics once your baby arrives!

Old 07-29-2005, 07:27 AM
newyorkcitymini
4th Gear
i've had one of each and felt very similarly to you....i originally opted for an mc with lots of goodies over the s.

OOPS.

glad you went s - you won't regret it. as its been said here before, you can always add those other tasty bits later, but you can't add a supercharger!

good luck - drew

Old 07-29-2005, 08:30 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Nothing against the MC, but the extra $ for a stronger engine and stouter transaxle is more than worth it in my opinion. Add on the extra HP you get with the MCS and it is one heck of a deal!

Old 07-29-2005, 08:42 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor

Welcome aboard

I think you will be glad you went for the S.

Some people just like the Looks of the Cooper and some like the Looks of the S. From what I have learned on here is if you get the Cooper it is not easy to add HP but if you get the S it is easy to add aftermarket items later. Read - easier to add ground effects/springs/brakes than to add HP.

Congrats on you choice I'm sure you would be happy with either one.

Earl

Old 07-29-2005, 08:44 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just think coming from a 1.8t i would be happier with a s.
I agree w/ your reasoning...an S is a good choice for you.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:28 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
I was in the same position as tx-jbird above. I suspect most of us were. MINIs can be ordered to cost from below the market average to way over. So one must be cautious with specifications. Having waited for the S to be offered with automatic I was already one option up in base price. But other than the automatic and premium package my car is light on specifications and ended up being $24,000.

Except for the stock R84s (I prefer the look of the R83s that used to be stock) I was very pleased that by buying my MINI I had gotten that "car thing" out of my system. And the compliments!!! They embarrass me, but I get them all the time. Suddenly with around 700 miles on it I ordered aftermarket wheels and tires. Now I am wondering about paying a visit to M7 in South Cal. I thought I was well past being interested in cars. But these MINIs are infectious!

Old 07-29-2005, 09:40 AM
The Short Bus
6th Gear
i drove an automatic cooper last april, and i was sold on getting a mini. EVEN WITH THE AUTOMATIC! I drove a manual cooper, and bought it. I've driven an S, and fell in love. I'll probably end up with one at some point... but my mini is a BIG commuter, so the gas mileage wins over fast/modified. It picks up fine, just gotta know how to drive it People are amazed at how capable it is. EVERY time, though, they say they can't imagine a SUPERCHARGED version of it. I have a pretty bad habit of taking off very fast from stops, and dont realize it hits the speed limit so fast... i'd be in trouble with an S

Old 07-29-2005, 09:52 AM
jrock
1st Gear
I went to the dealer to try out this "mini cooper" thing. Drove a MC. Loved it, was totally sold. :smile:

Then I, foolishly, test drove the "S". There was no turning back. I put my order in last week. I think you made the right choice.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
When you choose the MCS over the MC you get;
1. Sport seats (much more lateral support)
2. SS+ suspension (higher rate springs & large anti-sway bars)
3. Forged crankshaft
4. Forged connecting rods
5. Forged pistons
6. Oil jet cooling to the underside of the pistons
7. 6 speed transmission to replace the 5 spd
8. 16" X-lite wheels (the lightest 16" or 17" wheel that MINI offers)
9. Run flat tires
10. Air-to-air intercooler

Ohhh yeah, and;
11. Supercharger

These things are worth way more than the $3,000 price difference between the MC and the MCS, IMHO.

As others have said, you can always add the aero kit, brakes etc later. But you can never add the supercharger.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 AM
MINI Steve
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
3. Froged crankshaft
Cool! I have one of these?
That must be where the funny exhaust sounds come from

Old 07-30-2005, 05:31 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Oops
Originally Posted by MINI Steve
Cool! I have one of these?
That must be where the funny exhaust sounds come from
corrected

Old 07-30-2005, 06:53 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
When you choose the MCS over the MC you get;
1. Sport seats (much more lateral support)
2. SS+ suspension (higher rate springs & large anti-sway bars)
3. Forged crankshaft
4. Forged connecting rods
5. Forged pistons
6. Oil jet cooling to the underside of the pistons
7. 6 speed transmission to replace the 5 spd
8. 16" X-lite wheels (the lightest 16" or 17" wheel that MINI offers)
9. Run flat tires
10. Air-to-air intercooler

Ohhh yeah, and;
11. Supercharger

These things are worth way more than the $3,000 price difference between the MC and the MCS, IMHO.

As others have said, you can always add the aero kit, brakes etc later. But you can never add the supercharger.
Actually the pistons are not forged. They are hyperutetic... Basically a cast aluminum but formed by a special process that makes them stronger than cast.

Quick Reply: To S or not to S that is the question?