1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To S or not to S that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 04:09 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by greatgro
Uh that's b/c in stock form (which is usually how comparisons work), the S not only has more power, but a better suspension also. So you're talking about two models of the same car. One has more power AND better handling. So which are you going to choose in a straight up comparison??? :smile:
My point is, if you're going to compare base to base, you're barely right. Add $500 for sports suspension plus to the price of the Cooper, and the suspensions are the same, as are the brakes, and the Cooper will weigh less. So saying the S has better suspension is darned close to wrong.

And don't most comparos say something like "you've got $20,000 to spend... go!" not "let's compare base car A to base car B, even though they have different prices" ?

Old 08-05-2005, 05:02 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by velVeT

Add $500 for sports suspension plus to the price of the Cooper ...
You also have to add $600 for 16" wheels and $300 for sport seats which are standard on the Cooper S, bringing the price differential down to $2,250

Old 08-05-2005, 10:43 PM
mashngo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie replying

Originally Posted by jds
I agree completely. For those of us who are enthusiasts and choose to drive a Cooper, it's because we simply like the car. Frankly, I just don't get the whole "go fast" thing....musta passed me by somehow. My old Spitfire was quick and nible, but not particularly fast. Some frightfully good motoring though.

Automakers are throwing more powerful engines around like candy these days...even though the overall balance of the car may be crap. It's a non-starter, imo. To me, if you can't have a really rewarding, exhilerating motoring experience and still stay well within the law....that's just lame. Join the space program. Again, that's just me.

Getting +32 mpg is a big part of why I got a Cooper. It's an excellent daily driver, is quite capable, handles like a true MINI, is somewhat practical, AND is highly affordable. All that adds up to tons of fun...but perhaps of a different variety. The car balances so many of my driving priorities...and does it so blasted well...driving anything else, for me, would be less desirable...even a venerable MCS.

I do very much respect the wishes of those whose hobbies/passions include tracking and tuning their cars...we just have to remind ourselves, on occasion, that Minis are also very much about practical transport. That they offer a transcendent motoring experience at the same time is what legends are made of.

I'm delighted to see so many Cooper and MCS owners understand and embrace this reality.
For my first post, I wanted to reply and say I agree with this guy. It's about the experience and what you want from it. In a perfect world, I would collect MINIs and would certainly have an MC in addition to my car.

I drove a VW Rabbit Diesel for years and LOVED getting 45+mpg in the city with AC on. I still had fun in that car and could pass cars on 2-lane roads with 4 surfboards on the roof. An Englishmen told me: "you must simply drive this car metal-to-metal, you see?" I digress, already.

IMHO, I would opt for performance over goodies anyday, but that's me.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:34 AM
jggonzalez
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
this site is so S biased, its disgusting!!!!
Yeah, I haven't heard so much whining and boasting since the WWF! I'd really like to see a forum section for MC comments only. It would make it a lot easier to find MC-specific info. There would still be plenty of forums that we would share with the MCS people like brakes, tires, suspension, interior/exterior, etc., but it would also give us a chance to discuss things sensibly without some MCS owner saying "if you want more performance, buy an S".