1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To S or not to S that is the question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 03:08 PM
HHFD633
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To S or not to S that is the question?

Howdy all new here. Ordering new mini in Oct on recomendation from dealer to wait till 06's. Any way my big question is to S or not would everyone imput. I can changing from a VW 1.8t. My big problem is if i S i must order just the S no extras due to budget, however if i dont S i may order with all the goodies I want. Goodies being Aero kit, works brakes and works suspension. things like that. Dont really know how huge of a differance there is in power because when i went to test drive both i had salesperson who was huge and wife with me so never got the feel. So i would like to hear from both sides. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,
chris
warwick, RI

Old 07-28-2005, 05:46 PM
driver centric
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was asking myself the VERY same question. I have been back and forth between the two for weeks. Right now I've decided I want the MCS because my current car is about as fast as an MC and I would like something with more "go." Yes, I will have to drop some options that I would like to have in order to get the S, but I think I can still get the two that were at the top of my list: the xenon headlights and the sunroof.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 PM
BBoy
3rd Gear
HHFD633,

I'd say that if the extras you want are the Areo Kit, & JCW breaks + suspension you should definitely go for the S . You won't need those extras with the regular MC (it's not fast enough to warrant them!).

Plus, you can add the Areo Kit, JCW breaks and suspension later on if you get, say, a bonus, or a raise, or if you save up... but you can't upgrade to an S from an MC without taking a big hit from trading it in. In any case, the S's stock suspension is very good, as are the breaks so the wait until you can afford the upgrade will still be very entertaining!

There's my 2 cents...

Old 07-28-2005, 05:56 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
The difference between an MC and an MCS is not enough to cover the cost of an aero kit, brakes & suspension. Unless you have a great deal on the aero kit.
The MCS has lots more available power. The MC requires you to work the gears more to keep the engine at 4K+rpm when you really want to go; the MCS is good from about 2500rpm. Also if power is critical, there are many more upgrade options to boost power on the MCS.

You can look at this question a few ways:

1. Do you prefer "go" or "gadgets"? Spend the money where it will give you most pleasure.

2. If you get the MCS, you can always add aero kit, brakes, suspension later when you can afford it. If you get the MC, you can't add the supercharger later.

3. Do you mind a hard ride? The MC has the softer ride, especially if you stick with standard 15" non-runflats - can't have them on the MCS (no spare).

Old 07-28-2005, 05:57 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Perhaps you can answer your own question by deciding what you really want the car for. If it is performance then search the net and see what is offered or talk to current MC owners and ask what they have done which has given them better performance . We get asked a lot what we can do for the MC and unfortunatly we do not have much at this time.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 07-28-2005, 06:00 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BBoy

I'd say that if the extras you want are the Areo Kit, & JCW breaks + suspension you should definitely go for the S . You won't need those extras with the regular MC (it's not fast enough to warrant them!).
how do you figure? have you even driven a cooper? my cooper can keep up with (and in some cases outperform) an S in the twisties. if i had the cash, i would go big brakes and a coil over conversion, but the stock suspension is doing well right where it is!

i would do some research next time before posting such a rediculous sentence!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
To "S" or not to "S"......to breath or not to breath.......ah.... if it was only that simple.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by HHFD633
Howdy all new here. Ordering new mini in Oct on recomendation from dealer to wait till 06's. Any way my big question is to S or not would everyone imput. I can changing from a VW 1.8t. My big problem is if i S i must order just the S no extras due to budget, however if i dont S i may order with all the goodies I want. Goodies being Aero kit, works brakes and works suspension. things like that. Dont really know how huge of a differance there is in power because when i went to test drive both i had salesperson who was huge and wife with me so never got the feel. So i would like to hear from both sides. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks,
chris
warwick, RI
chris,
Find a MINI club in your area and go and meet with them. Go for a test drive in an MCS and see how much power there is.

If you like lively driving then I would predict that you will be happy with an MCS with manual transmission and if you have about $500 to spend on options, get the Limited slip differential (only available with manual transmission). If you want the auto transmission then that would be a good single option. Forget the Leather, 17" wheels, auto AC, trip computer, sunroof and fog/xenon lights if the budget doesn't allow for them.

An MC can do very well but power is not ample. If you like to do performance mods the MCS has many more things to upgrade.

Both MC and MCS can upgrade suspension, wheels, tires, and appearance items.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:06 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
It's all about the "S"... if you want the extra performance..

Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you want performance, and you will most likely feel that the Cooper is a little weak compared to your VW 1.8t. My previous car was a GTI 1.8t that I had modified to around 225hp, and my stock S felt rather slow until I finally got around to doing some mods.

Of course, a regular Cooper or an S would be faster in the twisties than that fat old GTI. . .

If I were you, I'd get the S and get the extra goodies over time when you can afford them. . .

Old 07-28-2005, 06:17 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
how do you figure? have you even driven a cooper? my cooper can keep up with (and in some cases outperform) an S in the twisties. if i had the cash, i would go big brakes and a coil over conversion, but the stock suspension is doing well right where it is!

Yup, that was probably the dumbest thing I've read all day on this site, and I'm including the "wife vs car" thread when I say that.

Chris, it sounds like you should go for the S. You can always add the aero kit later if the dough materializes.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:18 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
this site is so S biased, its disgusting!!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 06:19 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
chrisnl, nice new sig BTW!

my favorite line:

"It really tied the room together!"

Old 07-28-2005, 06:20 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
this site is so S biased, its disgusting!!!!
I don't know, "disgusting" is a bit strong. I think the few truly stupid comments tend to outshine everything else just because they stick out.

But you do have to specify at least three times in the same post that you're not talking about an S before people get the point.

Old 07-28-2005, 06:25 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
well it disgusts me. people need to pay attention to things like MC and MCS...i gotta find the thread about the exhaust........like 10 MCS people were DYING to trade thir stock exhaust for the "magnaflow exhaust from an MC"

Old 07-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Andrewsky
3rd Gear
Won't the difference be made up in the long run, because the Mini's resale is so good?

Old 07-28-2005, 06:41 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another Cooper enthusiast here!!! If I hear the argument right there are $$$ constraints, so the question is about getting a stripped down MCS or an optioned-up Cooper. Generally when I see these issues presented I always say get an MCS...clearly you'd find a way to use and/or enjoy the added power if you had it. But this is coming from a guy with a lightly (and strategically) appointed Cooper. Just not all that into amenities, I guess. I don't miss the added power of an MCS at all, in fact I really prefer using and applying what the Cooper has to offer. Most here love the added horsepower, though...and it is there on the MCS, trust me!! Both cars offer exceptional handling and drivability, though...that's what thrills me in my daily motoring about.

So, to sum up...if you really want MCS performance but it'd have to be lightly optioned, go with that. But if you're really thrilled by Cooper performance and the way it's applied (like me) get a Cooper.

After 2.5 years of ownership, I'd buy another Cooper tomorrow.

(hmmm....perhaps I will! )

Old 07-28-2005, 07:02 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
I have an S, I like my S, A good person to talk to is Amanda at Global Imports in Atlanta. She is not a sales person but in admin. She is also a driving instructor who drives a slightly modified Cooper as fast or close to as fast as the boys with modded "Ss."
She in her car blows me away in the AutoX and I have her by almost 100 whp.

Her car has handling mods and she know how to drive. After watching her and a few other in Coopers post some pretty good times I have altered my opinion of the Cooper.

I think you need to drive both alone in the car.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:10 PM
BBoy
3rd Gear

Woah... calm down dude.

I'm posting my opinion based on the drives I've taken in both cars and based on the price of the options. This was not a post out of ignorant, research less arrogance as you seem to insinuate. I'm not Cooper bashing at all! I love them immensely and they're certainly not sluggish by any means! Still, in my OPINION, the speed of the Cooper does not warrant the amount of money to be spent on upgraded breaks / suspension in comparison to the performance of the standard breaks / suspension. Your opinion is different, and from the sound of your post, probably because you're an exceptional driver. The owner of this thread was asking for opinions on this topic to help him make up his own.

There's no need to get upset over a difference in opinion.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Elmann
1st Gear
WOW!!

This is out of hand.

Drive an "S" and drive a Cooper and buy what you want.

I have an "S" and would not go back but I was originally sold by the Cooper.

Get a Mini and learn to enjoy driving again!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by HHFD633

Thanks,
chris
warwick, RI
Bro, ill give you some good advice. Great advice in fact. Get the S, no question. Dont get anything JCW related if youre on a budget, not yet anyway.

Cooper S + stock is way better than a Cooper with JCW brakes and suspension.

Also, get as much goodies as you can. For example, heated seats + heated mirrors + heated washer jets only cost you about 300 bucks. You try buying heated seats for a Merc or a Bimmer, you're pushing about 700 bucks. And thats just the seats.

The MINI comboes are damn good and best value for money out there, and beats japanese car comboes also. Use the money from the JCW on options for the S. Screw the budget.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:24 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
BB, thx for the respone, i was hoping i would get somebody rilled up lol

as long as were on the same page, they both have thir high points, we need to differentiate between the two cars and make apparent thier strong points!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:28 PM
camelpilot
Banned
You DO know that the S has stronger engine internals dont you? That in itself is worth the extra 3k.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:34 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
it also has a stronger gearbox

i push my cars pretty hard. i havent had many problems, this is one of the bigger ones, but by far, the cooper will be fine for your persormance driving needs!!!

Old 07-28-2005, 07:38 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
hmm... that pic seems to be popping up all over the place on this site, doesnt it?

Quick Reply: To S or not to S that is the question?